HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS

• Total voters
Got this recently and was completely unsurprised that it was awesome. It's an impressive mix; very warm and roomy. Vocals sound really outstanding on this release; comparable to the vocals on the Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road release.Some folks complain about the track order and/or the remarkable differences in some of the songs' mixing, but I have no such complaints. I rather like the new mix of 'Never Going Back Again'.

Yes, the album was played ad nauseum for a solid decade and then some, but it's an album that just about everybody liked at some point - so it's refreshing to hear the new surround mix on old songs. I give this one a 10 since the material is excellent and the mix is great.

Another one of my older DVD-A. Love it, have listened to it over and over and over past few years. Great content (duh) and a very nice mix.

Gave my DVD-A copy away to a family member with the Acura RDX DVD-A system, so I just recently bought the SACD from amazon so it wasn't lacking from my collection.
Same great sound, same great mix, and most importantly, same great songs and performance. :)

Yeah, this disc is a winner. Terrific surround mix and great fidelity. I must confess to some major Fleetwood Mac burnout during the 70's when there was no escaping their music but I've since warmed up to much of their catalogue. I personally don't feel this album quite lives up to its lofty reputation but it is damn solid with some outstanding material. An enthusiastic 9.

I want to buy this to add to my collection. Right now the SACD is $45 on eBay and the DVD-audio is also available on eBay for $45. Which one should I get?

I want to buy this to add to my collection. Right now the SACD is $45 on eBay and the DVD-audio is also available on eBay for $45. Which one should I get?

The DVD-A hands down. This is one of the showcase DVD-A's that WB released. There are many extras, graphics, commentaries, etc on the DVD-A that really show the potential of the format.

Damn shame they did not continue onward but opted to try and be a CD instead (see DualDisc)

The SACD is fine if all you are interested in the 5.1 audio, or can't find the DVD-A.

Thanks guys. Someone else asked the same question several pages ago and did not get an answer. Looks like I will go for the DVD-audio.

FYI, sound-wise, the SACD has the same mastering, 5.1 and stereo, as the DVD-A; but of course lacks the extras and video.

I had to give this a ten as it was one of the first surround discs I purchased 15 years ago. I remember the first time I heard "Never Going Back Again" when the marching snare comes in, I thought "Holy S***, I am now a member of some secret club with access to hidden tracks on the master tape". At that moment I was hooked and I never looked back. Also, the addition of Silver Springs as a bonus track was a classy move. Great content (although overplayed since I was a kid) and good enough fidelity to warrant a ten.

I picked up the Japanese SACD version of Rumours recently from CDJapan for only about $24. The SACD surround mix is really nice, but not nearly as impressive as Hotel California (which I picked up at the same time.) I also find the SACD mastering of Rumours to be slightly bright. That said, it's a classic album and I'd still rate it an 8 overall. I'm just being picky with the bounty of amazing surround mixes being released lately.

With all the recent chat on this one, I decided to throw it on as I hadn't played it in ages. Definitely demo quality material. A wonderfully immersive mix. The only track that I think has any issues would be "Go Your Own Way" which I think could have had the guitar parts mixed a bit louder. The addition of the non-LP b-side "Silver Springs" is a nice bonus, and that track has one of my favorite mixes. In lots of other songs I hear bits I had never noticed before. As for this album's radio omnipresence, it never bothered me. I bought the album when it was first released and still love it to this day. For me, the songs have held up much better than those on Hotel California which was released around the same time. I can't wait for my copy of Tusk to arrive! This one gets an easy 10, hopefully Tusk will too. :music

It seems to me that they tried to give Go Your Own Way a harder Rock edge for the remaster and the surround remix.

A fantastic album and a great surround mix - I give it a 10. Very impressive dvd-a with all the extras.

I gave it a 7. The music is great of course but the mix is my least favorite of all the FM 5.1s. I really don't like when the lead vocal is put in all five channels, and there are a few tracks on here with that type of mix. I find it distracting to the point that I can't listen to it, so that's why the low score from me. Oh well, the vinyl is still magnificent.

FWIW, my score was not impacted by the choice to put Silver Spring on the disc or by where they put it. I actually feel what they did with that is how it should have been all along.

Back