HiRez Poll Beck - SEA CHANGE [DVD-A/SACD/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Beck - SEA CHANGE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on this 5.1 release from Beck, originally available on DVD-Audio and SACD, then later as a Blu-Ray Audio disc.

SACD scans:
R-1528266-1391530452-7424.jpeg.jpg

R-1528266-1391530496-4224.jpeg.jpg

DVD-A/V scans:
R-1056754-1188663533.jpeg.jpg

R-1056754-1277410985.jpeg.jpg

Blu-Ray Audio scans:
R-5420583-1411796762-9796.jpeg.jpg

R-5420583-1392921659-5736.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the first discs I played on my 45a. Incredible mix and sound, and the music is great as well, though sometimes the arrangements get repetitive.
9 !

I have the DVD-A version, very nice sound and mix. Instruments well captured. Nice set of Bonus Videos, and some quite freakty pictures to accompany the when you listen with the Telly on. !!

Beautiful sound and mix. However, with our present reality I prefer music that's a little less downbeat. Still, it rates a 9.

The mix is very interesting with little spots everywhere in the room. The songs are all beautiful, but they all sound the same. Too much reliance on early 70' folk-rock-Pink Floyd.

I have this on both SACD and DVD-A formats (although I don't actually own a DVD-A player - I bought it primarily for the bonus videos, which incidentally also feature their respective 5.1 mixes - nice touch).

This is one of my favorite albums, actually. (So sue me - I happen to like downbeat slit-your-wrists kinda stuff.) And the mix is supurb all around. This definitely qualifies as an "impress your friends" type of disc. I give it a 10 all around.

This is one of those discs (I have the SACD) that grabs me right at the start and doesnt let go until the end. Incredible mix, Excellent sound and the only Beck album I can listen to from start to finish. I was worried originally because all the songs are soooo sloooow. But no matter... the songs are every bit ass good as the mix and sound. A must have!!! 10 -10 - 10!!!

When I think of the perfect marriage of music and surround mix, I immediately think of "Sea Change". A benchmark release, to be sure, and without a doubt a 10.

I just got the SACD, the surround mix is quite good, but the music doesn't do a lot for me. Not bad, just not great. I gave it a 7, mostly for the surround mix.

Ok, whoever gave this disc a 1....if you're just here pulling our chain, give it a rest! Freedom of expression aside, if you really think this disc is worthless, you're either stone deaf or a musical moron!

Sorry to be a jerk, but c'mon! :mad:

Just listened to this album again after viewing the recent pole. I wish I could take back my "6" and give it a "3". There were some good surround mixes but that's about it for me. This album has one long dark and depressing song on it. Great music for funerals !!!

As such a huge fan of this album, I can't believe I never noticed this before, and I've had this album for over a year now. Quite honestly, (heresy alert!) I actually listen to the stereo CD version of this (in my car, at work, on my walkman) a LOT more than the surround mix. But I happened to pop on the SACD the other day, and noticed that the vocal for "Already Dead" is different than the stereo version. Most notably on the first chorus: On the stereo mix he sings, "'Cuz I feel like I'm watching something die." On the surround, it's (if I recall correctly), "Cuz it's like I'm watching, watching something die." The vocal on the second chorus is slightly different as well, although the same lyrics in both. Who knows if this was intentional or (more likely) a mistake. (Both vocals probably exist on the multitrack, and Schiner probably just picked the wrong one - wouldn't be the first time he's done something like that.) I honestly prefer the stereo version (of the vocal), but again that could just be a bias because it's what I'm used to.

Finally rated this one. Great sourround mix, just awesome. Good album if you are in the mood for it. Alot of songs are very similar. When I first heard the opening chords of the first song, I thought I was listening to the Allman Brothers' "Sweet Melissa". As I further listened, Beck's voice often reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot. I never noticed that quality before as I had been familiar mostly with his uptempo recordings, which to me would REALLY make for some good surround ear candy! Not my favorite Beck album, but I gave it an 8.

Still is the best DVD-A have listened to. The use of surrounds is ridiculously good. I think when this album was recorded it was all about the DVD-A/SACD. It's just that good.

I thought I had already given my 10 on this disc.

This one, the new Guero, Yoshimi, and In Absentia are at the top of my list of MC disc's which "get it".

I wish there were more.

Well I bought the DVD-A. I've never paid much attention to Beck so this was a first.
I liked 70% of the album first off the other 30% took a few more listens. Some of the music reminds me of some pyscodelic twists of the past. It was easy to listen too and the videos are a bonus so to the catalogue and preview tracks. The pyscodelic theme to the screan saver (for want of a better discription for the on screen changes as the music plays), shure beats a lot of the stationary pictures of many DVD-A albums.
Rated it a 7 for the amount of tracks that I could immediately listen too.
Bill

I know this is an old disc to most of you but I just got it and just a few uptempo #'s would have really rounded this album out. Everything that's here is done very well, it just leaves me wanting more. However, I suspect that after a few more listens it will probably start to grow on me just the way it is. Red Hot Chili Peppers on valium came to mind on my first listen. Nice subtle touches all around the soundfield. I especially like how clear, discrete and powerful everything sounds at low volume levels.

This SACD is my first album in any format by Beck. The music is good, but the surround mix is great, and overall it is an 8 or 9 from me. I guess I must decide which before I log out but this one is another pleasant surprise for me. The guy is an interesting songwriter and I don't mind the sad feeling the music causes for me.

Chris

Back