HiRez Poll Beck - SEA CHANGE [DVD-A/SACD/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Beck - SEA CHANGE

• Total voters
If you prefer the SACD, then the SACD is better for you. I generally just buy whichever I see first :)

I perfer the DVD-A versions over the SACD even though I'll buy SACDs too.
I grab whatever comes first, then when I get both,
if such exists, I off the SACD.
I've done this with:

Beck - Sea Change
T-Rex - Electric Warrior
The Who - Tommy
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
The Marvin Gaye Collection

etc.

I have a Deep Purple - Machine Head SACD, if I find the DVD-A of it, I'll off the SACD.

I like the sound of the DVD-As, plus you get all the extras like the videos et al.
The only ones I have a tough time with are the DTS CDs like the Moody Blues
Days Of Future Passed, Seventh Sojourn and The Police - Every Breath.
I have the DTS discs and the SACDs.
The DTS discs are less noisy at top ends,
the SACDs sound better at lower ends. I have all 7 Moodys SACD/CD Hybrids but being a Moodies fan,
I got them mainly for the extras and the remasters. good to have, really!

I also have the Creedence stuff and the George Thorogood stuff.
All SACD Stereo only hybrids but I bought them for the CD part actually..
I wanted the remastered recordings. The SACD part was a plus in this instance.

What kicks me in the ass are Sony's want to release SACD Stereo only discs...
no CD layer.
OK, so I'll buy an SACD only (no hybrid) if it has the surround, or a stereo only / hybrid
but why a stereo only SACD???
(Michael Jackon's Thriller, Journey's Escape, Boston... to name a few of the multitude! :mad:)
Were they too cheap to just add a CD layer???
And some have different versions... hybrid and SACD only versions of the same title!
I have a Toto that's SACD only and there are hybrids out there.
My Headhunters is a hybrid but I've seen SACD only versions.

(Yeah they've done it with DVD-As, stereo and no multi but at least they
still play on any DVD player).

At least down the road, my DVD-As will still be playable in some form. :phones

It's all a matter of personal preference and which equipment you have,
it seems.

-Bob

I have a Deep Purple - Machine Head SACD, if I find the DVD-A of it, I'll off the SACD.
-Bob

I honed in on this part of your post, and just FYI, the mixes on the Machine Head SACD and DVD-A are different, and complement each other rather than replace each other. The SACD is the original quad mix, while I think the DVD-A was mixed specifically for the DVD-A. Some people prefer one over the other, but both are worth owning imo (I have both, and really enjoy them both). Well anyway, if you don't have the DVD-A yet, this may be a moot point for you (as it is very hard to find these days, at least for a decent price).

I have this in SACD, DVD-A and CD (need the CD for the car, got the DVD-A cheap for the videos). I have lots of interesting memories associated with this album - if you ignore the lyrics like I did for a year or so, it's great, um, "date" music to put on. The music by itself is so emotional, and the surround mix really takes it to a higher level.

Of course, once you listen to the lyrics and recognize it is an album about breaking up, one realizes that perhaps certain relationships were crying for help before you knew it. Sigh...

I picked up the SACD as a blind buy lark - I had heard Beck's "Loser" and other "hits" from the earlier albums, and figured this would be similar. Boy, was I stunned and so pleasantly surprised. One of my favorite albums to sing along to as well - I think I've learned about 4 or 5 of the songs on guitar.

shinksma

There's not much more I can add. I've heard the SACD but I own the DVD-A. The value factor is apples and oranges between the two formats. Beautiful visuals and 6 music videos in discrete 5.1 sound? Outrageous. The SACD isn't even a hybrid. Get the DVD-A if you can find one and can afford it. You won't be sorry. There's one or two weak tracks so I give this a 9.

Dan

Saw a used one (dvd-audio) at FYE yesterday. They want $39.99 for it! I guess FYE has discovered eBay. Last time they had a used one it was $7.99.

It's worth $40. Great album.. I have the SACD. I tend to think that SACD's sound better but DVD-A's have the cool pretty pictures and videos. :]

It's worth $40. Great album.. I have the SACD. I tend to think that SACD's sound better but DVD-A's have the cool pretty pictures and videos. :]

I've already got both, and I paid under $10 each (FYEs old pricing).

The sound quality and surround mix can't be argued IMO, worthy of a 10.

However the content is a bit dreary and depressing, especially the first few songs, but it does improve somewhat during the back half.
Can't give it a 10 because of the content, so I'm going with a 9.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 BluRay "Pure Audio" release from UMe (formerly available on SACD and DVD-A)
(n):phones(y)

Thanks to QQ Member 'mam' for the scan! :phones

beck.jpg

DTS HD Master 24bit/192khz
5.1 PCM 24bit/192khz

Sea Change is very much folky and mostly rather quietly, softly to sadly, less experimentally in comparison to the succession album Guero, still more fully of intensive timbres and tones to find out which develop particularly in multichannel wonderfully in the space round about. Nice specifies and with a lot of volumes. Tonally perfectly caught. I have nothing to criticise on the sound and I`m a very very picky German ;)

Because I like the more experimental Guero musically a piece better, I give away

music 9/10

Mch. 5.1 PCM 10/10

The best HFPA release so far.

If you don't have the old SACD/DVD-A, now's the time to get into this amazing Elliot Scheiner surround mix, in stunning quality.

Now all Universal need to do is go through their back catalogue and reissue everything they own that's in 5.1 SACD/DVD-A that's now gone OOP and similarly reissue it on HFPA Blu-ray and they'll be laughing.

A "10".

The best HFPA release so far.

If you don't have the old SACD/DVD-A, now's the time to get into this amazing Elliot Scheiner surround mix, in stunning quality.

Now all Universal need to do is go through their back catalogue and reissue everything they own that's in 5.1 SACD/DVD-A that's now gone OOP and similarly reissue it on HFPA Blu-ray and they'll be laughing.

A "10".

Sounds much too logical for the music industry.

Is there any reason to get this if one already owns the sacd and dvd-audio disc?

Is there anyone with the capability to do a spectral analysis of the 5.1 mix? I'm curious to see if it's a fresh transfer from an analog master, upconverted 24/96 PCM from the DVD-A, or transcoded DSD from the SACD release.

Here are the spectrals for the the song "End Of The Day" Front Left Channel in each format:

First the Blu-ray at 192Khz:

SeaChange_6_192.jpg

And then the DVD-A at 88.2Khz:

SeaChange_6_88.2.jpg

I have the SACD too, but it is more difficult to get the spectral analysis from SACD. I believe Sea Change was originally done as an SACD; so even the DVD-A is at 88.2Khz. You can also see the DSD noise above 36Khz or so on the DVD-A! The DSD noise appears to have been cleaned up on the Blu-ray, though 192Khz was certainly overkill as there is nothing above 40Khz or so - 96Khz would have been just fine (or even 88.2 for that matter.)

To me the Blu-ray sounds clearer and I think I'm noticing more subtleties with the Blu-ray vs the DVD-A or SACD. (JMHO)

Last edited:
Call me a skeptic...The fact that there is no info on source of masters or any detailed info about the pure audio mixing process has me believing that they took the path of least resistance in re-releasing old material as quickly and cheaply as possible to just maximize profits.

I want to support the blu-ray audio format, but I cannot justify repurchasing the same material I already own as an sacd or dvd-audio. Now if they release Hot Fuss in 5.1 or any other new 5.1 material, I'll be first to pre-order!

Back