HiRez Poll Beck - SEA CHANGE [DVD-A/SACD/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Beck - SEA CHANGE

• Total voters
Time to finally add this to my collection, went with the DVD-AUDIO version specifically for extra features. First time reading this thread and notice here, along with other site reviews that members find the album depressing.
Its the main reason why I've not purchased it previously, I'm a fan of the Odelay album though and should have bought this sooner. There is usually a day where blue music fits, but not too much for me. I'll edit with a rating after I receive it.

I do not find this album depressing. It's beautiful. If, however, you want something more on Beck's fun side, check out his Guero DVDA.

https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Guero-2...qid=1497158142&sr=8-2&keywords=beck+DVD+Guero

I do not find this album depressing. It's beautiful. If, however, you want something more on Beck's fun side, check out his Guero DVDA.

Well its what we get from it, I do own some Cure and NIN music but for me the most depressing music is from Radiohead. Shut that Sh*t off man its a downer. I actually like the Suicide song Gloomy Sunday just an interesting track that was blamed for deaths and banned. Music can stir a lot of different emotions depending on the writers moods. I was thinking about a thread of the most depressing bands or music, but there's enough on the subject when googled.

FWIW I do not find this disc depressing in any way, I would think "melancholy" suites this title best.

Beck was likely depressed when he did this recording in the studio as he just ended a relationship with a long time girlfriend or so my daughter told me .

Now if that is the case-----more of these artists should breakup if it means music this good , well no just kiddin.
But you gotta admit this music is most unlike Beck 's other music titles, and in a very focused type of arty way. The songs smoothly enter into one another and not a bad tune amongst 'em . :smokin

And this disc's surround mix is one of the BEST of Elliot Scheiner's many . The surround really does compliment the music .
Still don't know why I waited to purchase this disc (a year maybe). His picture on the disc (a little self indulgent I thought then) was likely why my unexcusable wait .

Redemption : I just may now go about purchasing that blu-ray in justification ! That'll show me. :D

Beck was likely depressed when he did this recording in the studio as he just ended a relationship with a long time girlfriend or so my daughter told me .

Now if that is the case-----more of these artists should breakup if it means music this good , well no just kiddin.

Bob went through the same thing with Blood on the Tracks and that turned out also to be a masterpiece (and not a bad 5.1 to boot). So maybe more artist should go through the breakup.

Bob went through the same thing with Blood on the Tracks and that turned out also to be a masterpiece (and not a bad 5.1 to boot). So maybe more artist should go through the breakup.

BotT is probably my favorite Dylan album. Because of the 5.1 mix. I haven't heard all Dylan albums, but I've heard all the 5.1 albums and BotT is awesome. Great tunes. The comparison to Sea Change is apt. Though Sea Change sounds better, of course. But in many other ways.

BotT is probably my favorite Dylan album. Because of the 5.1 mix. I haven't heard all Dylan albums, but I've heard all the 5.1 albums and BotT is awesome. Great tunes. The comparison to Sea Change is apt. Though Sea Change sounds better, of course. But in many other ways.

BLOOD ON THE TRACKS is my favorite Dylan album, regardless of media. I like the 5.1 mix, although it is very subtle. And yes, Beck's SEA CHANGE puts that mix to shame.

Sea Change puts most mixes to shame.

and the insane thing is, it's so different from his German roots / Mexican LA atmosphere mash-up radio-friendly pop

After I heard Sea Change the first time I developed such a great respect for Beck.

He's so much more talented then FM radio listener's have been led to believe.

Thanks everybody for bringing up these discs, I have many but as I am new to QQ I forget to update on the polls. I own the DVD-A of this release and I agree excellent surround disc. I voted 10. One little thing that my DVD-A collection has is a lyric and pictures choice that this does not on each running track. The use of rears is exceptional. This disc in stereo would not be good, not like his first release. My favorite format has always been DVD-A.

All the chatter on this release inspired me to pick up the BD and I'm glad I did.

Fidelity and mix are superb. Tunes are good too. I can see this growing on me.

I'm not really a Beck fan and have only liked a few of his songs (Loser, Where it's at, Jackass). Like someone else said, his man-child mug on the cover put me off investigating the BD even out of surround mix-curiosity.

It's a good one though. Yet another musical door opened!

All the chatter on this release inspired me to pick up the BD and I'm glad I did.

Fidelity and mix are superb. Tunes are good too. I can see this growing on me.

I'm not really a Beck fan and have only liked a few of his songs (Loser, Where it's at, Jackass). Like someone else said, his man-child mug on the cover put me off investigating the BD even out of surround mix-curiosity.

It's a good one though. Yet another musical door opened!
If you like this feel of music get Zakk Wylde's Book Of Shadows II. HDTracks has a stereo hi res release.

Aww, you see there is a method to my madness.

Yes that's very true about Bobby , and what an incredible disc as a result !!

I believe he still pines about his loss on Desire as well. :rolleyes:

Gave it a spin and will say, a good mix and sonics but content I've discussed previously in this thread and feel that is correct.
. No vote from me on this one. I just cant bring myself to vote on content I don't like. (n)

Gave it a spin and will say, a good mix and sonics but content I've discussed previously in this thread and feel that is correct.
. No vote from me on this one. I just cant bring myself to vote on content I don't like. (n)

Just curious, if you don't like this content, what content type is your preference? Again, just curious. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was here, at Quadraphonic Quad, that I first learned of this release. After reading the multitude of stellar reviews and finding a copy of the BD-A for $12 I felt that I had to buy it. And I'm glad that I did:)

I've owned this album on CD for at least half a dozen years. Of the Beck albums that I own this one probably has got the least amount of plays. It's not that it's a bad album, in fact it contains one of my favourite Beck songs (Paper Tiger, which I would often use to demo my stereo), it's just the kind of album you have be in the right mood or situation to listen to.

While I still feel that it is not an everyday kind of album, I find myself listening to this 5.1 mix of Sea Change more often. This multichannel mix is the best I own in terms of sonics. The depth and detail of the tone and timbre of instruments like the steel guitar, strings, piano and percussion are captured beautifully. With increased volume the mix does not become overbearing, it only offers increased clarity. The mix itself is lively and discreet with a lot of action in the rear speakers. I really enjoy how there is a lot of movement around the soundstage with strings, synths, and effects; it is done very tastefully and does not come across as gimmicky. And much like the other Elliot Scheiner mixes that I've heard, I'm quite fond of his deployment of the centre channel - sparse and effective. This is a gold standard demo disc with tracks like The Golden Age, Paper Tiger, Lost Cause, End of the Day, and Already Dead being prime examples of how a great multichannel mix sounds.

In my opinion 5.1 mixes do not get much more perfect than this--it is the ideal frame, elevating the piece of art that is Beck's Sea Change.

A solid 10 from me.

:51banana:

Back