HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on this 5.1 release, appearing in a vry limited original release containing the original mix by Elliot Scheiner, which was quickly replaced by a modified mix by Brian May. This was later released as a DVD-V, then in 2013 as an HFBA. Confused? Read on........... :)

BELOW IS A SCAN (courtesy of Neil Wilkes) OF THE 2001 PROMO DVD-A ORIGINAL MIX BY ELLIOT SCHEINER

Queen Demo ANATO-DTS-CD.jpg

BELOW IS A SCAN (courtesy of Fredblue) OF THE 2001 COMMERCIAL DVD-A WITH THE ORIGINAL ELLIOT SCHEINER MIX THAT WAS RECALLED

2001 fredblue queen.jpg

BELOW IS A SCAN OF THE 2002 COMMERCIAL DVD-A WITH THE MIX "ADJUSTED" BY BRIAN MAY

Queen DVDA jon 2002.jpg

BELOW IS A SCAN OF THE BLU-RAY AUDIO (courtesy of LizardKing)

queen bluray.jpg

This was the first DVD-A i bought. I didn't know what DVD-A was, or that it was surround {like quad}, but it said DTS on it, and that got me to thinking that this might have a surruond sound mix {again like quad}. So i took the chance and bought it {I already had the LP & then the CD of it}. But when i put it in my DVD player and played it in DTS. WOW & WOW again. I was blown away by a fantastic surround mix. So i immediately ran back to the store {Best Buy} and got a few more DVD-A's. Anyway this is a fantastic surruond mix {as is all of the Queen}. A definate 10 all the way.

Great mix, but the sound is SO hot....but that's the way Roy Thomas Baker recorded. Can't complain about the music .....a 9 overall.

MIDIQ said:
This was the first DVD-A i bought. I didn't know what DVD-A was, or that it was surround {like quad}, but it said DTS on it, and that got me to thinking that this might have a surround sound mix {again like quad}. So i took the chance and bought it {I already had the LP & then the CD of it}. But when i put it in my DVD player and played it in DTS. WOW & WOW again. I was blown away by a fantastic surround mix. So i immediately ran back to the store {Best Buy} and got a few more DVD-A's. Anyway this is a fantastic surround mix {as is all of the Queen}. A definite 10 all the way.

This is exactly like me, are you me? :mad:@:

Own the LP and CD, 1st DVD-A curious about 5.1 surround ! Took the plunge never looked back.

I don't really know what musical "hotness" is, but "Death On two legs" and "Sweet Lady" have a very harsh sound. The LFE channel is apparently on different volumes on each track... There were many complaints about the "side A" having too much treble or something. But "Prophet's Song" and of course "Bohemian Rhapsody" are phantastic. A 9 from me.

rusinurbe said:
This is exactly like me, are you me? :mad:@:

Own the LP and CD, 1st DVD-A curious about 5.1 surround ! Took the plunge never looked back.

That sure was a good first DVD-A buy. I'm afraid of what i might have thought of DVD-A if one of the first ones i bought were Silverline titles, {of which i did buy a few of later, and sold them back on Ebay}. But at least i knew there were good surround titles out there.
And i am pretry sure i am me {Ha Ha}. :D

Excellent surround disc! Never been a big Queen fan but this album is wonderful.
10/10

quadrofis said:
I don't really know what musical "hotness" is.
Roy Thomas Baker, the producer, liked to record stuff "in the red", meaning very loud on the brink of distortion. He liked to record the snare drum DEEP in the red to get that extra "crackle". It might have sounded cool on LP, but gets a little fatiguing in a digital medium.

This disc has it all.

Full 24/96 5.1 MLP, 24/96 stereo, DTS & DD versions plus the video of BoRhap.
Not only is the production stunning, but it is actually authored correctly to spec.
Which makes a change.

An absolute must have, and well deserving of the ultimate accolade:-
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yep - a 5 banana disc.

Absolutely 10!!! (y)

First a little bit strange sound feeling, but then awesome.

Brian May mentioned on his website that "A Day at the Races" will be next DVD-A to be released!
Great Stuff!

One of the all time classics mad even better by a beautiful surround mix! Yes, a little hot in the levels but...

I never wanted to hear Bohemian Rhapsody again but after hearing it on this disc its like a brand new song with a new experience of hearing it for the first time.

Another one I play all the time! 10 from me.

Freddy Lives. I heard Day at the races is next. Really waiting for News of the world. Check out the greatest hits dvd's the DTS is killer.

Er... is it just me? I think the stereo mix on this DVD-A sounds absolutely horrible! Just hot mid-range without any dynamics whatsoever. I have no such memories of the old CD (which I sold).

I really like this one - I gave it a 9.

The sound envelopes you without drawing overdue attention to the rear channels....

Did I SAY that? Well - I meant it. While every channel is always active, there is more attention to the fact that the mix has a solid "band" sound as opposed to "jeez - that's coming from behind me". HOWEVER....

Given the material, any idiot mixing this would be hard pressed to throw a few effects around the room - after all, this was a pretty agressive stereo mix in it's day, why not have some fun? And it is fun!

So it rocks solid when it needs too - swirls around when it should, and bounces to and fro from time to time. Yet it never sounds cheesy or contrived.

Maybe I should have given it a 10.

Okay, I finally picked this one up the other day, and gave it a spin for the first time this afternoon. I've never been a huge Queen fan, but I have to admit I really liked this one. And the surround mix was top-notch. "Bohemian Rhapsody" sounded essentially exactly how I'd imagined it would sound - I could almost "predict" where things would be placed. :phones

Gave it a 9, if only because I'm still not a huge fan of the music itself (although I'm growing to appreciate it more...)

Ed Bishop said:
Although it doesn't match the stereo mix the way it probably should, "'39" I love a lot, gotta say....

ED
Tends to be my favorite cut as well. Gives me goosebumps.

Back