HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters
Having a blast tonight re-playing this gem on my new player for this review. I have the Parlophone 2002 DVD Audio version and for me this is a near perfect example of how to do justice to the surround format. I don't get the hotness that some refer to (maybe it's my version or it could be that my system is quite warm overall) - what I do get is crystal clear mixing, extremely thoughtful positioning using the full sound-stage very tastefully and with full consideration to the material. The use of surround isn't overly subtle - in fact it's pretty full on in places, but that fits with that way Queen rolled rather than coming across as "gimmicky." It has loads of power in all the right places but also backs off in the ballad moments letting the vocal layers shine. Its all very clean noise wise and to my ears doesn't exhibit any compression for loudness sake. Gotta be a perfect ten. When, oh when will they do the rest of the Queen catalogue?

Worth every penny, IMO. And it's one of the few DVD's my wife likes (Bjork's VESPERTINE is another), so of course it's a keeper, heh. Plays well for me, but then I've never been anal about Queen. Have their moments, pick 'n' choose, love the DVD comp.

ED :)

I have the 30th Anniversary edition, I know everything is subjective, but is it worth buying the DVD-Audio too ? Is there much difference between the two discs ?

I have the 30th Anniversary edition, I know everything is subjective, but is it worth buying the DVD-Audio too ? Is there much difference between the two discs ?

I too wondered this? What mix will be on the new Blu ray disc?

Such a fun adventurous album. Docked a point because I have the DTS version.

Mix/Sonics: 10
Music: 8

...looks like I have the 30th anniversary version and not the DVD-A. Wrong thread. Throw this review out.

Last edited:
Such a fun adventurous album. Docked a point because I have the DTS version.

Mix/Sonics: 10
Music: 8

What DTS version?
DTS Ents did a DVD-A/V of this title, but the 30th anniversary edition is a different mix to this one & should be voted on in it's place.....not only is it a different mix (the 3rd version I am aware of & have) but it is of course lossy surround only (yet the stereo gets PCM)

What DTS version?
DTS Ents did a DVD-A/V of this title, but the 30th anniversary edition is a different mix to this one & should be voted on in it's place.....not only is it a different mix (the 3rd version I am aware of & have) but it is of course lossy surround only (yet the stereo gets PCM)

I stand corrected...I knew there were two versions, but not three. As you deduced, I have the 30th anniversary version.

I stand corrected...I knew there were two versions, but not three. As you deduced, I have the 30th anniversary version.

There's the original Elliot Scheiner DVD-A mix that was rejected by Brian May. The next mix was a Brian May-tweaked version of Scheiner's mix, which is the common DVD-A version. Then finally we have the dts 40th anniversary version with the discreet "God Save the Queen".

The toughest one to find is the first mix, which I believe was only a promotional pressing. The one I have has a sticker on it that reads "dts property". Luckily, at least where I live, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

There's the original Elliot Scheiner DVD-A mix that was rejected by Brian May. The next mix was a Brian May-tweaked version of Scheiner's mix, which is the common DVD-A version. Then finally we have the dts 40th anniversary version with the discreet "God Save the Queen".

The toughest one to find is the first mix, which I believe was only a promotional pressing. The one I have has a sticker on it that reads "dts property". Luckily, at least where I live, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

It was not even a promotional pressing - there were precisely 50 made, all for internal company use & approval. (with apologies for wonky artwork)
ANATO-DTS-CD.jpg

It was not even a promotional pressing - there were precisely 50 made, all for internal company use & approval. (with apologies for wonky artwork)
/QUOTE]

I am curious to know if those who have the rare promotional version have a preference between the first two versions, and perhaps how the mixes differ.

The 30th Anniversary mix is a 10 for me. While most of the songs herein are not my favorites, Bohemian Rhapsody alone is such a masterpiece of composition, performance, and surround presentation as to be one of my top go-to demo discs for almost any listener. This takes Wayne's World to a whole new level. The Prophet Song is also wonderful.

One of the things I like to do in my reviews is give people who read them enough information to judge whether they might like to buy a copy. For this one, unless you just HATE Queen, it is a must-have recording!

Ken

I have the songs on my laptop at 24/96 from both the 30th anniversary and DVD A. It is visible that when opening in Audacity the 30th has A LOT of clipping and is very compressed. DVD Audio is the way to go; much better mastering!!!!!!!!!!!! Greater dynamic range on the original DVD A.

Do you mean the 2ch or the surround? Because the 2ch mastering of the DVD-A is pretty much a 'loudness war' casualty. Here's the first track:

DeathOnTwoLegs_DVDA_st.PNG

The surround mix of the DVD-A has much more natural dynamic range than this.

Do you mean the 2ch or the surround? Because the 2ch mastering of the DVD-A is pretty much a 'loudness war' casualty. Here's the first track:

View attachment 11064

The surround mix of the DVD-A has much more natural dynamic range than this.
Yes 5.1 mix. Still some clipping but hardly anything compared to DTS 30TH.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 BluRay "Pure Audio" release from UMe (formerly available on DVD-A)
(n):phones(y)

Thanks to QQ member 'LizardKing' for the scans:

queen.jpg
queen back.jpg

I don't have the Blu Ray and consequently can't comment on it, but.... I'm so conflicted about this album. Out of the previous (widely available) surround releases, the DVD-A has higher quality, but "God save the Queen" is an upmix. The 30th anniversary DVD-V, people say, is loudness-compressed and has lower bitrate, but "God Save the Queen" is a real 5.1 mix.

I have the DVD-V, the mix of which was reused on the Blu Ray (as members have previously pointed out), keeping the compression.

Now, I really don't know if I should...

a) ditch the DVD-V and get the DVD-A
b) ditch the DVD-V and get the Blu Ray
c) keep the DVD-V

Keeping the DVD-V for now because to my ears, it sounds just fine and I prefer the real 5.1 on "God save the Queen" to an upmix.

Anybody know of other differences? I read somewhere that the DVD-A also has parts of "The Prophet's Song" upmixed because some multitracks were missing for that, too, when it was done?

Anyway, of course, the main question in this thread is... Is the Blu Ray worth getting? Sorry, can't contribute to that discussion...

On the DVD-A of The Prophet's Song, the echo'ed "Now I Know, Now I Know..." was taken from the 2 track master as the multitrack could't be found - I've never heard if they found the multitrack and used it on the DVD-V release. I'd like to buy the BD release but it has been normalized and has none of the dynamic range of the original DVD-A from what I've been told.

I haven't done a serious comparison, but the sound on this didn't impress me at all.... I need to compare it to the DVD-V, but it didn't jump out as being noticeably better.

In regards to the comment about which version.... the one I'd recommend is definitely the DVD-A, yes "God save the Queen" is an upmix, but personally I normally stop listening after Bohemian Rhapsody anyway...

However - one benefit of the DVD-V is that you get video on all tracks - you don't get any video on the "Pure Audio" HFPA blu-ray of course...

You also get lyrics on the DVD-A....

Anybody else buy this disc and have any opinions to offer on it?
I don't want to sell my DVD-V with the videos, so I'm really torn about whether to buy this one or not.

Anybody else buy this disc and have any opinions to offer on it?
I don't want to sell my DVD-V with the videos, so I'm really torn about whether to buy this one or not.

I wouldn't bother with the Blu-ray RT, it offers no improvement over the DVD-V from a 5.1 p.o.v and is actually potentially worse-sounding (it's very compressed-sounding).. plus it has no videos.. and it turns out the stereo on the BD-A is the same 2005/2011 CD remaster.

I wouldn't bother with the Blu-ray RT, it offers no improvement over the DVD-V from a 5.1 p.o.v and is actually potentially worse-sounding (it's very compressed-sounding).. plus it has no videos.. and it turns out the stereo on the BD-A is the same 2005/2011 CD remaster.

Thanks fredblue for that!
I just got the Beck "Sea Change" disc in today, and it has to be without a doubt one of the best discs I've ever heard! Now if only Universal could do more HFPA discs like that one, it would be in heavenly! :)

Back