HiRez Poll Metallica - METALLICA (The Black Album) [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Metallica - METALLICA

• Total voters
It certainly does fill up the house with noise...:D But I can also understand why this was an unusual choice for a 5.1 title, since this sort of thing is mainly bought by a younger crowd not likely to be concerned about anything other than having the album. Us older farts into 5.1 audio aren't a likely audience for Metallica, but I bought it anyway, just out of curiosity(I had the vinyl edition already, just for the hell of it). Not likely to be replayed often, but certainly wakes ya up! :smokin

ED :)

Hello all, new guy here!

And to reply to your post: I'm probably one of the only young people (at least that I know of, not on the internet) that is VERY interested in hi-rez/surround sound for music. So I was one of the people who bought this one:)

Gave it 9/10. The surround may not be that active but the music doesn't call for it either IMO. What it does call for is FAT sound and that it delivers in spades IMO.

You're damn right. The stereo mix in advanced resolution on this DVD-A is just jaw-dropping.

Good point! I was very disappointed in the 5.1 mix, I will replay in 2.0 tonight and compare to redbook CD (which has a great mix imho)

I picked this up the other day, not quite ready to vote though. Is anybody else annoyed by the clanging hi-hat? It's about all I notice for the first few tracks. Could be that I just got that noise stuck in my head and on next listen I won't notice it so much. Free time for listening is a bit limited for me at the moment, so it might be some time before I get back for second thoughts.

Otherwise I like the mix a lot. However, the sound quality is only average, especially for such a recent album.

I really don't listen to the surround mix anymore for this one.

This album has always been one of my favorite metal album, and also one of the best produced ever (in the metal area). That was the time when Bob Rock was untouchable. Can't say the same when he produced the awful St. Anger from the same band !

The stereo high-rez track always leaves me in awe.

Thank you thank you Warner for this DVD-A.

Now if only they could do DVD-A's of Master of Puppets, Ride The Lightning etc.

Are you serious? I think the sound quality is great. Listen to the snare in Sad But True for instance. You can hear the air moving.

I'd been listening to PT before I put this on and the difference was huge. I had never heard the album before so I can't compare it to the original release, but compared to the DTS track of FOABP this one falls short. Other than the hi-hat the drums sound great, but that hi-hat is obnoxious and the compression robs the music of some of its power - IMO. I understand that there is a certain 'metal' sound, and maybe that's the reason for differing opinions on this one - some people like it, others don't? But that hi-hat!

I used to be a big heavy metal fan when I was in my early/mid teens, and remember Kill 'Em All when it was new. Some time before Ride the Lightning came out I totally lost my taste for it though. I recently pulled out Kill 'Em All and Accept's Restless and Wild for the first time in 20+ years and found myself liking them again, so picked this DVD-A up. So, I'm not a big HM fan, but not anti-metal either. I'll listen a few more times before voting.

Those are perfectly valid arguments BananaSlug. And I guess I'm just happy that I don't hear that obnoxious thing about the hi-hat then:)

I just listened to the first track again. This time I hadn't been listening to music of any kind beforehand. I have to say that I was much more impressed with the sound quality. Though I did notice the hi-hat, it didn't bother me as much. Not sure if it's a brain chemistry thing or that I was listening at a much lower volume. Love the mix, glad I didn't vote after first impressions.

Have you ever heard Staind's "14 Shades Of Grey" on DVD-Audio? That is an uneven sounding album with harsh mid-range.

I understand that might be a style issue more than anything.

With Metallica's black album, guitars are clean and crunchy and drums are for the most part really good.

I even bought Simple Plan's "Still Not Getting Any..." and although I was expecting a very bright poppy album, that also had some heavy mid-range but not so much as the Staind album.

Another rock album that had really heavy mid-range - Foo Fighter's "One On One."

I think it's a style choice here but I like Metallica's sound more than any of the aforementioned albums.

I think it's a style choice here but I like Metallica's sound more than any of the aforementioned albums.
I'm with you. Metallica's DVD-A is way above - soundwise - the afore-mentionned titles. Staind's DVD-A is more or less a waste of plastic.

Not a huge Metallica fan, but bought this as one of my first purchases.
I have the Acura RDX with the dvd-a stereo in it.
First impression was from the first track Enter Sandman.....
Wow! It is one of the tracks I use to show off the stereo to friends. It is possibly the best sounding song I've heard on my stereo.
That being said, I find I can't listen to the whole dvd, as I get a headache after a few songs. I must be getting old or something.

I vote 10. Recently I've taken to listening to the first track at about concert level and it is awesome. I'm pretty protective of my hearing and I don't use the word "awesome" in general, but Enter Sandman is deserving of both. Who knows about the rest of the disc (or cares), I'm very happy with this one track.

I swear some folks here are just too easily impressed.

It's a good surround mix, but nothing at all special. Decent separation and sound quality. Pretty much right down the middle as far as retail mixes go, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, guys. :)

Maybe it's the width of genres listened to; in the metal category it would rank high cause there ain't as much to compare to. I'd agree in the full rock spectrum it mostly gets the job done but not top drawer special. It would be the demo disc for your wife's cousins who don't appreciate anything else.

NP: Conversions I hadn't gotten round to :)

Back