HiRez Poll Metallica - METALLICA (The Black Album) [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Metallica - METALLICA

• Total voters
Before anyone pays big bucks on eBay, I just want to be sure that everyone knows that Metallica sells this DVD-A on their website for $18.99. It's very cool that they went back and ASKED their label to make more discs! (Why can't other artists do this?)

Here's the blurb from their website and a link:

The coolest way to hear the “Black” album that you may not know about . . .surround sound re-mixed in 5.1 Audio and mastered especially for DVD-Audio and designed to kick major ass on your surround sound/home theatre system. This disc will ONLY play on your DVD player (it won't play on a compact disc player) and was released several years ago, but was not readily available. Now that home theatre equipment is more affordable and easier to find, we had the label press up some more for us and it's the best way that we know of at this point listen to this album! For you tech heads: Playback is possible on all DVD-Video or Audio/Video players - your hardware set-up determines the mix you hear: DVD-Video compatible Dolby Digital Surround or new for DVD-Audio, Advance Resolution Surround or Stereo.

http://store.metallica.com/store/store.asp?nProductId=600284

This album has passed Shania Twain's "Come On Over" as the highest selling recording of the Soundscan era.
Excellent on DVD-A :)

Top Ten Selling Albums Of SoundScan Era (1991 - January 2, 2011):

01. "Metallica" - METALLICA (15,620,000)
02. "Come On Over" - SHANIA TWAIN (15,499,000)
03. "Jagged Little Pill" - ALANIS MORISSETTE (14,673,000)
04. "Millennium" - BACKSTREET BOYS (12,115,000)
05. "Bodyguard" soundtrack - Various Artists (11,823,000)
06. "Supernatural" - SANTANA (11,709,000)
07. "Beatles 1" - THE BEATLES (11,703,000)
08. "Human Clay" - CREED (11,563,000)
09. "No Strings Attached" - 'N SYNC (11,117,000)
10." Falling Into You" - CELINE DION (10,785,000)

Before anyone pays big bucks on eBay, I just want to be sure that everyone knows that Metallica sells this DVD-A on their website for $18.99. It's very cool that they went back and ASKED their label to make more discs! (Why can't other artists do this?)

Here's the blurb from their website and a link:

The coolest way to hear the “Black” album that you may not know about . . .surround sound re-mixed in 5.1 Audio and mastered especially for DVD-Audio and designed to kick major ass on your surround sound/home theatre system. This disc will ONLY play on your DVD player (it won't play on a compact disc player) and was released several years ago, but was not readily available. Now that home theatre equipment is more affordable and easier to find, we had the label press up some more for us and it's the best way that we know of at this point listen to this album! For you tech heads: Playback is possible on all DVD-Video or Audio/Video players - your hardware set-up determines the mix you hear: DVD-Video compatible Dolby Digital Surround or new for DVD-Audio, Advance Resolution Surround or Stereo.

http://store.metallica.com/store/store.asp?nProductId=600284

I was gonna post the same thing. Yeah, it's really cool of Metallica to still offer this up on their website. I only got into the DVD-Audio game about 2-3 years ago and this was one of the first ones i bought.

I also still wish other bands would still offer up their DVD-Audios on their websites also.

Very cool, I didn't know that. Thanks Jon! It kinda looks like the current version is in a digipak instead of a DVD-A size super jewel box, can anyone verify this?

Mark Z

...It kinda looks like the current version is in a digipak instead of a DVD-A size super jewel box, can anyone verify this?

Mark Z
Why do you suspect it's a digipak?

I wonder if ebay scalpers are still buying from this site and reselling them.

This was an exciting development - I've been outbid on eBay on this album a couple of times now, so went over to the Metallica store to get a copy.... unfortunately I can't seem to get through their account setup procedure successfully to check out with my purchase. After eight attempts I've given up. Guess it's back to eBay...

This was an exciting development - I've been outbid on eBay on this album a couple of times now, so went over to the Metallica store to get a copy.... unfortunately I can't seem to get through their account setup procedure successfully to check out with my purchase. After eight attempts I've given up. Guess it's back to eBay...

I think they only ship to the US. Tell you what. I will buy one and send it to you if you like. At cost.
Sub-Total of Selected Items $18.99
CA Sales Tax (9.5%) $1.80 (bastards!)
Shipping and Handling $7.00 (to my address - outrageous!)
Total $27.79
This was the actual price quoted (a cut and paste minus my comments) when I went through the steps to purchase.

Shipping to the UK is about $7.50 if wrapped right. So total is about $35.25. Insurance is expensive and is a bummer. Think it is like $12.00. Your call on that.
Cheers,
Mike

Nice offer, Mike, much appreciated!

I have a friend shortly about to be on tour in the US so will try and get him to source it while he's there and bring it back in his luggage. If that doesn't work out, I'll pm you on it.... Re the explanation of what the problem was - we're really not "truly international" yet, are we?

Thank you again!

Very best wishes

Martin

I have just successfully ordered this item from the website for $32.99, including $14 for international postage to Australia. Unless they hold something against your country for recent crimes against Australian cricket I can't see why they won't send to you too.

I have just successfully ordered this item from the website for $32.99, including $14 for international postage to Australia. Unless they hold something against your country for recent crimes against Australian cricket I can't see why they won't send to you too.

Well, that is a deal better deal than I can offer, as you avoid paying shipping twice and California sales tax!

This was the first album I ever got on dvd-a, way way back when. I was hoping to be blown away by the sound on this, and maybe I'm just expecting too much from Metallica, because for all their hype, they've never been a deeply complex band.

I was hoping for the drums to sound like I was in the room with Lars. Instead it still just sounds like he's beating on big rubbermaid containers. It's not my set-up because DSOTM and Love sound amazing; spacial and deep. I get more enjoyment out of the 'Live Shit' albums in plain dvd/cd formats because at least those are reverbed enough to make the drums sound like drums.

Again, that's me, and for what Metallica is, this release does them justice and is worth buying for when you want to listen to the Black album.

This was the first album I ever got on dvd-a, way way back when. I was hoping to be blown away by the sound on this, and maybe I'm just expecting too much from Metallica, because for all their hype, they've never been a deeply complex band.

I was hoping for the drums to sound like I was in the room with Lars. Instead it still just sounds like he's beating on big rubbermaid containers. It's not my set-up because DSOTM and Love sound amazing; spacial and deep. I get more enjoyment out of the 'Live Shit' albums in plain dvd/cd formats because at least those are reverbed enough to make the drums sound like drums.

Again, that's me, and for what Metallica is, this release does them justice and is worth buying for when you want to listen to the Black album.

pretty much my thoughts on this one. always considered it pretty "meh" and in need of a little bit extra in just about every department. even on a very high-end system, you're left wanting more.

I am just loving it. Fabulous album and even more wonderful on 5.1. The god that failed - oh yes! Sitting right in the middle of all the action... Just got into surround, am investing in all the usual suspects, and after Donald Fagen's albums, this is my favorite so far.

This still appears on Metallica's website for $18.99...unbelievable! I ordered a copy...for some reason I doubt it will show though for some reason.

This still appears on Metallica's website for $18.99...unbelievable! I ordered a copy...for some reason I doubt it will show though for some reason.

I'm pretty sure it will. I ordered a copy just last month and it arrived in no time.

I read somewhere (not sure if it's true) that after the initial label run sold out the band managed somehow to take back responsibility for re-pressing and distributing exclusively from their web shop.

That's exciting...it's not easy to come by surround formats sold at retail these days!

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but there are definitely some great songs on this album that I'm looking forward to listening to.

Nice! 19 bucks new from their web store, 24 bucks used on amazon.

"The coolest way to hear the “Black” album that you may not know about . . . surround sound re-mixed in 5.1 Audio and mastered especially for DVD-Audio and designed to kick major ass on your surround sound/home theatre system. This disc will ONLY play on your DVD player (it won’t play on a compact disc player) and was released several years ago, but was not readily available. Now that home theatre equipment is more affordable and easier to find, we had the label press up some more for us and it’s the best way that we know of at this point listen to this album!

For you tech heads: Playback is possible on all DVD-Video or Audio/Video players – your hardware set-up determines the mix you hear: DVD-Video compatible Dolby Digital Surround or new for DVD-Audio, Advance Resolution Surround or Stereo."

If nothing else, it'll rattle the teeth and bend the ears of all living creatures around you (including you, although you're ready for it and they probably ain't). :D

ED :)

Back