Please post your comments, thoughts and observations....... :thumbsdow

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WE 10/17/2004 [DVD-A]: the Beach Boys PET SOUNDS

A very controversial mix, to be sure... but I absolutely adore it. This one gets a heartfelt and geniune 10 from me.

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I had never heard this album by the Beach Boys before i got the DVD-A. I really like the song God only knows, and had only heard another song or two from it. But everywhere i looked, the reviews were great, so i was really looking forward to a new Beach Boy album i had never heard before, plus it was in surround. All i could think about was beautiful Beach Boys harmony coming at me from all 5 speakers. But after getting the DVD-A, i was pretty disappointed in the surround mix, and pretty disappointed in most of the songs also. I know a lot of people on this forum really like this DVD-A, but in my opinion, i just don't get it, sorry. I gave it a pretty low score, because i didn't even like it enough to keep. Maybe i am just too used to their beach & car songs, which i really like, and would buy in a second in surround. Anyway, just my opinion.

Semi-friendly Moderator daved64's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Post Thanks / Like

If I turned my love seat around and face the rears, it would be a great mix. I don't know why it's SO rear heavy. When I turn down the rears (a lot!), it sounds great. The music is, of course, brilliant.
    Getting it done in 5.1 !!!

Level
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daved64
    If I turned my love seat around and face the rears, it would be a great mix. I don't know why it's SO rear heavy. When I turn down the rears (a lot!), it sounds great. The music is, of course, brilliant.
    Dave got it right....I was more impressed with the sound of the studio outtakes. I was/still dissapointed with the surround mix, not enough discrete info.
    I hope when EMI/Capital gets around to the Beatles they use this disc as a guide...Hi rez mono/stereo and 5:1, video extras, outtakes and lyrics. One of the best DVD-a packages out there...but that 5:1 mix forces me to give it a 6 rating
    Last edited by bobou2; 10-11-2004 at 08:56 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an album I'm very intimately familiar with, having done a significant amount of actual research into the recording process, etc. (If you get bored one day, type in "prokopy pet sounds beach boys" into a search engine and you'll see what I mean.) This was hands-down one of my most anticipated DVD-A purchases. And subsequently, I'm afraid, it turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments. I was never a fan of Mark Linett's stereo mix that preceeded this, and I'm afraid he didn't learn much before attempting the 5.1 mix, either. Everything is awash in copious amounts of reverb, lost in a fog, and (as others have complained) lacking in any definition and seperation. A true opportunity was lost here, especially in respect to the vocals (which, given the way they were recorded, perfectly suited surround remixing).

I end up listening to Brian Wilson's original 1966 mono mix infinitely more often than I bother with either the stereo or surround mix on this one.
    David Prokopy - dprokopy@aol.com
    "Is insanity just imagination that can't find its way back to reality?" -Wayne Coyne

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg, 1968-2005

Level
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [DVD-A]: the Beach Boys PET SOUNDS [17]

For some reason this album sound best in Mono.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star neil wilkes's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard, from someone who must remain nameless but was actually present and heard the original surround mixes right off the DAW in the Studio, that there has been an almighty cockup in the manufacturing process, as in the studio everything sounds simply stunning.
    When the engineers heard the disc, they were almost in tears.
    There is allegedly stuff out of phase, on the wrong channels, all manner of problems.

I'll write my contact, and ask him to write out for us all exactly what was wrong.
    But it would seem as if the Authoring loused everything up.
    Oh well, whatever - nevermind.

9. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [DVD-A]: the Beach Boys PET SOUNDS [22]

That would certainly go a long way in explaining stuff, if it's indeed the case. That's my big problem with the disc - there's very little discrete placement. Everything just sort of... hangs there in a big empty wash of echo. Phasing problems and/or switched channels would make sense.
    David Prokopy - dprokopy@aol.com
    "Is insanity just imagination that can't find its way back to reality?" -Wayne Coyne

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg, 1968-2005

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neil wilkes
    I have heard, from someone who must remain nameless but was actually present and heard the original surround mixes right off the DAW in the Studio, that there has been an almighty cockup in the manufacturing process, as in the studio everything sounds simply stunning.
    There is allegedly stuff out of phase, on the wrong channels, all manner of problems.

I'll write my contact, and ask him to write out for us all exactly what was wrong.
    Wouldn't surprise me....cuz when I first put it on my reaction was "What the &*^%@&^"?????? NO WAY I would have mixed this record this way! Might be my biggest disappointment for hi rez.

500 Club - QQ All Star Scottmoose's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [DVD-A]: the Beach Boys PET SOUNDS [23]

If this was how it was 'supposed' to sound, I know not what they were thinking...
    Let's hope it was a production glitch, and we might get a proper version.

Uh-Oh, Here Comes 2014! Ed Bishop's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a perfect mix--to be kind!--but, IMO, solid much of the way, and it is fun to isolate things in a full mix, rather than the bits and pieces of the box set.

Truth is, the only 'master mix' is the original mono tape....I think most of us would like to see a remix of the remix somewhere down the road, for surely there are different approaches one could take with this title that really aren't there for others.

ED
    "Whisper Words of Wisdom, Let It Be"

Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

For the era of the recording, they did an outstanding job with the mix.

Perhaps since the music seems dated, I've not played it too often.

Now, If I could just have "Smiles" in Hi-rez, I'd be happy.
    Bob

Recently, I have had the pleasure of seeing the Boston Red Sox win two World Series And the New England Patriots win three Superbowls. Not bad, eh?

formerly known as "Eugenius"
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I give it a 10. That wasn't always the case, though.

At first, I hated this disc. I thought the surrounds were way too strong; and I wasn't thrilled about the essential lack of a center channel. However, that was before I realized that it is OK to adjust the channel levels on my receiver for the 5.1 channel analog input. Once I lowered the rear levels this disc became wonderful! And, honestly, I feel it's better to not have a center channel than to have abused it. I like the center speaker, but I don't miss it here.

Once adjusted, the "wonderful warmth" factor I'm so fond of is in great supply. The recording is just so full. I enjoy the added ambience and the trippy feeling "Pet Sounds" gives in surround. I think it's audiophile quality. It's one of my favorite discs.

However, I will admit that the surround mix feels very much different from the tightness of the stereo mix. So I don't know how true the surround mix remains to the original mono mix from 1966.
    5.1 Surround Music: "Makes me ."

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beach Boys - PET SOUNDS [DVD-A]

As a Beach Boys die-hard who owns every studio album, every live album, and lots of other stuff, I will say that I am very satisfied with this disc. I will also say that I prefer the mono mix to any other mix that was done, stereo or surround. But since I'm on a surround board, let's talk surround. Yes, the rears are a bit on the loud side but I don't think it's near as bad as people make it out to be and I don't think that it takes away from the enjoyment of the disc, at least for me. Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums of all time and I am glad that it's available in 5.1.

Keep in mind that the way Brian Wilson recorded records in the 60s was far different than how everyone else was doing it. For Pet Sounds, Brian used an 8-track recorder, but he recorded ALL of the instruments on one track and used the other seven for vocals. With that knowledge, I'm surprised that this mix came out as good as it did.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that this disc is tops in terms of sonic quality of the mono mix? Any Beach Boys fan will tell you that the best sounding vinyl pressing of Pet Sounds was NOT the original 1966 pressing, but was the one that was included with the "Carl & the Passions - So Tough" album in 1972 as part of a 2-LP set. The mono mix on the DVD-A disc even beats that vinyl pressing in terms of sonic quality.

I give it a 9 because even though I love surround, the mono is still the best bet for my ears!

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up like many on the forum listening to the Beach Boys on crappy little AM radios and phonograph players playing stacks of 45's as they dropped down on top of each other applying new scratches and pops each and every time. Forget fidelity, compression, or even bass and treble. It was the Beach Boys and they sounded like no others.

This was the first DVD A I purchased and I was and am still unimpressed - I don't hate it but it adds nothing to my enjoyment - perhaps it is because I can't quite relax as my ears try to hear something different coming from one of the speakers. For my money, unless the mix offers some new understanding or appreciation of the source material then it probably shouldn't have been done. Brian Wilson - deaf in one ear, created and heard this music in mono and that is how it probably should be.

Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neil wilkes

Hello,
    I only recently acquired this disc and the first thing that I noticed was how weak the center and sub channels are. I proceeded to turn them way up with the surround channels off and to my astonishment I noticed that vocals were coming out of the subwoofer channel and bass info from the center channel. Luckily for me, the integrated amp that I use to drive these channels has a reverse switch so I reversed them and everything was where it should be.

That was only for the first song "Wouldn't It Be Nice" after that everything is where it should be. Then the problem becomes getting the volume levels for the center and sub channels properly balanced for every song. I could see where for those who use a digital receiver this disc would be a real pain to endure, but with the anolog equipment that I use it just gives me something to fiddle with while listening. And when it's all said and done it sounds great to my ears.

Has anyone tried to do a conversion of this title to tweak it and make the obvious corrections? Is it even possible? With a little engineering wizardry this could be greatly improved upon. Too bad "Capitol" doesn't take it upon themselves to get it right.
    Last edited by aquadad; 02-23-2006 at 04:28 PM.

19. Likes phydo liked this post
    Uh-Oh, Here Comes 2014! Ed Bishop's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly not a perfect mix. And yes, the center channel isn't very strong, seems intentional though. Even so, the very novelty of this as a 5.1 mix keeps me coming back to it, flaws and all....

ED

Level
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

For more info on Pet Sounds, and to relive what it was like here back when new titles were being regularly released, you should read through this thread:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=1872
    :-jon

300 Club - QQ All Star Felix E. Martinez's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I remember when I did my review for Dvdangle, I was criticized by some readers re: my observation of "clicks" throughout the 5.1 mix that many listeners apparently didn't hear. This is the first time I hear of a possible technical flaw, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am listening to this now for the first time and I also just received the 40th anniversary issue with a DVD-V. I plan to spend some time with this great old album in the coming weeks and decide which version I like the best, mono, stereo or surround. So far all I have done is listen to part of the DVD-A surround version. I haven't yet detected any of the issues discussed here, it sounds fine without excessive rear channel use. This is another surround release that I had often seen but passed on before the Buy.com $20 off $50 Google Checkout promotion. I assume it is still easy to find anywhere.

Chris

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Although this is certainly not the greatest pop album ever, as some insist, I like The Beach Boys vocals better on this than any other Beach Boys album. Mike, Brian and Carl aren't really even good singers, much less great singers but they pull this one off really well. I can't quite give it a 9, I have given a number of 9s to albums I like better than this one, but it is a strong 8.

Chris

25. Likes phydo liked this post
    Just another radio loser Dylan Berichon's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Something clearly isn't right here.

What a wonky mix.

I love this album, but the sound stage is messed up.

I'm going to give it a 7. If you are a fan of the album, you should pick it up, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't into the Beach Boys.
    Boss Jock in training

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Berichon View Post
    Something clearly isn't right here.

What a wonky mix.

I love this album, but the sound stage is messed up.

I'm going to give it a 7. If you are a fan of the album, you should pick it up, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't into the Beach Boys.
    Yep. It's like you need to turn your chair around and face the rears.

Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I will add myself to the list of people who thinks this release is best in mono

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast