HiRez Poll Queen - THE GAME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Queen - THE GAME

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-3648015-1397846674-1795.jpeg.jpg

R-3648015-1338911167-5422.jpeg.jpg

A definate 10 for me. One of my favorite Queen discs, and a great surround mix. SUPER. :sun

The MC mixes are truly well done, although to my mind not as full as the previous offering "A Night At The Opera", which just sounded better all round.
"The Game" seems a lot looser on the low end, and there is excessive LFE present.
The whole overall sound of the album just is not up to the previous standard in any way.
However, some of the mixes are very well conceived, and the imaging is solid.

The other main criticism I have is - again when compared to their previous - the navigation.
During the previous, you get the lyric sheet during the playback, yet here you must access it as a conscious choice, plus the screens do not advance automatically as they did on ANATO.
Not only this, but the selection does not remain. At the end of the track, it defaults back to a title again, leaving you to force the selection again.
Why this is, I do not know.
It could be argued that it is to give the viewer more choice, but in reality it makes it harder work. The gallery options are identical for every track, so why not make the lyrics a default with auto advance instead of manual advance - it makes no sense.

Otherwise, everything is of a very high standard.
A definite "must buy" on any list with the following caveat:
Not as good as "ANATO".

Not as strong musically as ANATO, but a good sounding disc. The choir vocal on Dragon Attack is killer.
My only real beef is the gap between Dragon Attack and Another One Bites The Dust. I remember on vinyl it was a minuscule gap between songs that made for a nice effect with one ending and the other starting immediately.. On the DVD-A it's a long drawn out gap. Oh well.

This one surprised me as I was never much of a fan of this album. But the DVD-A of this really opens up the whole album. It sounds great.

I gave it a 9. The sound quality is great as is the mix... with one small complaint. The drums on 'Play the Game' make me run for the remote, when they return on 'Sail Away Sweet Sister' I'm ready for a new disc. I haven't listened to any other version of this album in years so I don't know if the drums were pushed forward in this release, or if that's the way they always were. Either way I don't like the drumming on these two tracks and wish the drums were less audible. On the plus side Freddie has never sounded so good, the dvd-a format totally agrees with his voice.

An awesome disc through-and-through. It's at the top of the heap of my demo discs and has probably enjoyed more play than just about any silver surround disc in my collection. An unabashed 10!

It is totally awesome how "Play the game" jumps at you from all possible directions. And the synths go through your body. Listening back to the stereo version I wonder, was it really *that* flat and lifeless?
Anyways, great how you can make a medicre album exciting by surrounding it up.

The surround mix on the Game is wonderful - it brings out all of the brilliant playing of the bandmembers, as well as all of the nice little flaws that sneak in from track to track. It's not as cohesive as Opera but I'm still thankful they remixed this one.

I love this disc! Surround mix is very enveloping. A nice thump to Another One Bites the Dust as well. A Day at the Races re-mix sure would be nice.

I just scored a NM copy for $25 while it's selling for as high as $70 elsewhere - can't wait to hear it based on these very positive reviews.

I already own ANATO and enjoy it immensely.

Not a perfect mix, but if you dig Queen, the flaws probably won't bother you overmuch. (BTW, a few of these mixes, IIRC, were used for the DVD video collection). An '8' here.

ED :)

I hate to be the party pooper here but I just don't care for this album and wouldn't if it had 20 channels.
I was a HUGE Queen fan from the beginning and wished they'd have done Queen & Queen II if nothing else. :phones
I loved everything they did from "Queen" to "A Day at the Races" and "News of the World" was OK.
"Jazz", was also one I enjoyed immensely. But "The Game" to me was Queen goes disco, save
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" which is what I bought the album for.
However, the DVD-A is mixed rather well, a bit heavy on the LFE but I shut that off anyway.
If you're gonna get a Queen DVD, get "A Night At The Opera" first.
Upmixers... please get on those other albums!! ;)
I do windows but not upmixes... too busy with the SQ conversions. :D

PS - You can get "The Game & ANATO for like $20.00 from HMV Japan (www.hmv.co.jp) oh,
and they have Yes - Fragile and Foreigner 4 in stock as well for cheap!
(as of 09-28-08)

I completely changed my opinion on this album haveing heard it in surround. I never much liked the album but in surround its great i wish they had done some more Queen albums Queen II and Innuendo would be my next ports of call, although news of the world I think would surprise a lot in surround..

I knew as i heard the swirling amazing intro to " Play The Game ", i was on to a winner ! Don't neccessarily like all the songs from a musical point of view, but the mix more than makes up for that. It's wonderful ! A no brainer, 10 from me.

This DVD-A breathes new life into a classic from my teen years. I am hearing things I never knew existed until I got this disc. It has come a long way since listening in mono on my old Silvertone changer!

Back