HiRez Poll Queen - THE GAME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Queen - THE GAME

• Total voters
I voted on this aaaages ago but never chipped in with a comment to back it up!

It's a "Perfect 10" from me all the way! (y)

I've demoed what 5.1 can do for music to people with just this disc before and they're gobsmacked to hear songs they know so well sounding so different but still so daaaaaamn great!

"...open up your mind and let me step inside..."

Play The Game -- everybody play this disc...!!! WOOO..!!! :worthy :worthy :worthy

1337259288_1324827626_queen-the-game.jpg

good mix but slightly overloaded on the low end.
Another One Bites The Dust wanna crank up but everything in the room starts to vibrate,
particularly stuff hanging on the walls.

good mix but slightly overloaded on the low end.
Another One Bites The Dust wanna crank up but everything in the room starts to vibrate,
particularly stuff hanging on the walls.

I thought that was the point! I remember the single being used to demo stereos at loud volumes on speakers with 18" woofers. The ONLY time I thought big speakers and bass were obscene. Mind you, I was only 9.

I picked up a copy of this a month or so back. Had taken me ages because it wasn't one of my favourite Queen albums and I couldn't justify having yet another copy until I saw the reviews of how good it is on QQ.

It really comes to life in surround. A great example of how something so-so can be truly exceptional with some quality mixing/production. The rest of the Queen catalogue really should be available in surround; it's an absolute travesty that it isn't.

I thought that was the point! I remember the single being used to demo stereos at loud volumes on speakers with 18" woofers. The ONLY time I thought big speakers and bass were obscene. Mind you, I was only 9.

haha!! :D

yes! of course it should be a house-rattling affair! it's rock and f***ing roll, maaaaaaaannnnnn..!!! :smokin

mine goes up to 11. :51banana:

I picked up a copy of this a month or so back. Had taken me ages because it wasn't one of my favourite Queen albums and I couldn't justify having yet another copy until I saw the reviews of how good it is on QQ.

It really comes to life in surround. A great example of how something so-so can be truly exceptional with some quality mixing/production. The rest of the Queen catalogue really should be available in surround; it's an absolute travesty that it isn't.

I'm a bit sad to hear a bit of bashing of this album! It's one I hold very dear to my little ol' heart! :eek: The best stuff on it is some of their best stuff!

Comparisons to ANATO aren't totally fair, you're pitting a solid rock album of its time by a band who had finally "made it", were now wealthy, were sick of the sight of each other and on the verge of meltdown/breakup (!) against a timeless classic by a still-struggling hungry bunch of young guys with stuff still to prove, that's cited as one of the finest rock albums ever created.

Queen went from relative paupers in '75 to tax exiles by 1980.. it wasn't just Brian's barnet that got bigger and Freddie's tache that got the headlines, the whole shebang had grown in a way nobody could have imagined! The band had changed.

The title track still sends chills (Freddie's voice is hard in the centre on this DVDA, turn off everything else and just listen to him in the centre channel.. woo that's the good stuff!).. Crazy Little Thing speaks for itself.. Another One Bites DEMANDS house-rattling bass (!), Sail Away Sweet Sister is one that never gets much love (it is pretty "go-ahead" like a fair few other "also-ran" things on the album but its not totally safe or sappy it still has heart (and balls!).. Save Me has that gorgeous quality of classic Queen -- at turns bombastic ("heroic" even!) and then it turns on a sixpence and is all delicate and beautiful.

getting back to 80's Queen vs 70's Queen, yes they were a world away from 70's Queen.. but the same could be said of so many 70's bigguns.. of Elton, of Rod, of Bowie, of Clapton.. they were all almost completely different artists in the 80's! Significant dips in quality often came with the dramatic changes but still.. a change is as good as a rest is to a blind horse that's winking at you! :p

..what followed The Game (the dreadful Quincy Jones & gay clubs inspired "Hot Space".. very much Freddie's baby.. it should have been given away at birth!) is quite a different story and for me quite possibly their only serious blip.

Pretty much everything that came after Hot Space still has so much to redeem itself (and overcome any naff production values or cheese factor!).

"The Works" & "The Miracle" are seriously underrated albums (in my not so humble opinion!).. in fact I'd merrily have a Greatest Non-Hits with things like "Was It All Worth It", "Party", "Khashoggi's Ship", "Keep Passing The Open Windows", "Tear It Up", "Back To Humans".. oh and I'd stick "Princes Of The Universe" in there too! WOO!!

Queen Rocks (?!) NOT 'ARF..!!!! :banana:

I'm a bit sad to hear a bit of bashing of this album! It's one I hold very dear to my little ol' heart! :eek: The best stuff on it is some of their best stuff!

Comparisons to ANATO aren't totally fair, you're pitting a solid rock album of its time by a band who had finally "made it", were now wealthy, were sick of the sight of each other and on the verge of meltdown/breakup (!) against a timeless classic by a still-struggling hungry bunch of young guys with stuff still to prove, that's cited as one of the finest rock albums ever created.

Queen went from relative paupers in '75 to tax exiles by 1980.. it wasn't just Brian's barnet that got bigger and Freddie's tache that got the headlines, the whole shebang had grown in a way nobody could have imagined! The band had changed.

The title track still sends chills (Freddie's voice is hard in the centre on this DVDA, turn off everything else and just listen to him in the centre channel.. woo that's the good stuff!).. Crazy Little Thing speaks for itself.. Another One Bites DEMANDS house-rattling bass (!), Sail Away Sweet Sister is one that never gets much love (it is pretty "go-ahead" like a fair few other "also-ran" things on the album but its not totally safe or sappy it still has heart (and balls!).. Save Me has that gorgeous quality of classic Queen -- at turns bombastic ("heroic" even!) and then it turns on a sixpence and is all delicate and beautiful.

getting back to 80's Queen vs 70's Queen, yes they were a world away from 70's Queen.. but the same could be said of so many 70's bigguns.. of Elton, of Rod, of Bowie, of Clapton.. they were all almost completely different artists in the 80's! Significant dips in quality often came with the dramatic changes but still.. a change is as good as a rest is to a blind horse that's winking at you! :p

..what followed The Game (the dreadful Quincy Jones & gay clubs inspired "Hot Space".. very much Freddie's baby.. it should have been given away at birth!) is quite a different story and for me quite possibly their only serious blip.

Pretty much everything that came after Hot Space still has so much to redeem itself (and overcome any naff production values or cheese factor!).

"The Works" & "The Miracle" are seriously underrated albums (in my not so humble opinion!).. in fact I'd merrily have a Greatest Non-Hits with things like "Was It All Worth It", "Party", "Khashoggi's Ship", "Keep Passing The Open Windows", "Tear It Up", "Back To Humans".. oh and I'd stick "Princes Of The Universe" in there too! WOO!!

Queen Rocks (?!) NOT 'ARF..!!!! :banana:

Fred Blue
Nice review
But shame on you
(Not mentioning Dragon Attack, my favorite on the record, that one really opens up with the drum fest).
(For the record- Fred Blue, thanks for all you do on this forum, I too am a huge fan of Mr. Penny's work. I live about 20 miles from Ojai and hope to bump into him someday).

This ones a 9 for me, not my favorite Queen album but as a surround disk this is a great one to have.
Its to bad we didn't get any more surround from Queen after this one as their first few albums would just be killer.

Fred Blue
Nice review
But shame on you
(Not mentioning Dragon Attack, my favorite on the record, that one really opens up with the drum fest).
(For the record- Fred Blue, thanks for all you do on this forum, I too am a huge fan of Mr. Penny's work. I live about 20 miles from Ojai and hope to bump into him someday).

You're very welcome Bender!

two things very close to my heart surround and Queen! (oh and I don't mind a bit of Elton too.. ha!) so its no chore talking about them!

:eek: funnily enough I was going to give special mention to Dragon Attack (its one of my faves too!) but I thought I'd rabbited on quite enough already so stopped short - and then proceeded to jabber away more! :p

I could probably write an essay on the album itself, let alone the 5.1 mix, I love The Game so much! it marked my first real awareness of Queen when I saw the video to Crazy Little Thing Called Love (aged approx 5.. aaah..) and my nickname was Fred even then.. when FM looks right down the lens and the BV's go "Ready Freddie?" I turned to my older brother and said "Look! It's me! I'm Freddie!" ha! that was it, I was in love with Freddie! He was and is my hero.

I wish Greg Penny would rock up here at QQ and say "Hi!" (I'd probably drive him nuts with questions though and drive him away!) if only so he could see just how esteemed his surround work is round these parts!

If you ever do see GP in Ojai, please give him a good firm handshake, look him right in the eye and tell him from me "Fella, you nailed those 5.1 Elton's! Gus is looking down on you and I bet he's real proud! Love Fred!" :D :eek:

perhaps... for listening in solid bunker, but not for the houses with drywall constructions.
in fact in such case i can't crank volume on this disc to realy decent level.

I'm in a flat full of drywall and suspended wooden floors.. but the YPAO EQ on my Yammy has everything perfectly flattened in-room so there's no boom boom going on! I crank up The Game quite regularly without fear and my neighbours having come a-knocking yet! Embrace your inner Queen! :p

I'm in a flat full of drywall and suspended wooden floors.. but the YPAO EQ on my Yammy has everything perfectly flattened in-room so there's no boom boom going on! I crank up The Game quite regularly without fear and my neighbours having come a-knocking yet! Embrace your inner Queen! :p

front consist 2x12", center 2x8", rear 2x10"
it's not about calibration. i have quite to create enough air pressure in the room,
that everything on the wall and on surfaces starts to rattle.
in direct mode (that's how i use for listening) frequencies aren't adjustable.
turning off of subwoofer doesn't do any diference.

Back