HiRez Poll Steely Dan - GAUCHO [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Steely Dan - GAUCHO

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

(Since this is a "HiRez" poll, it should not include how you feel about the DTS CD, however you can post your feelings comparing the DTS with the SACD/DVD-A)

SACD scans:
R-1190473-1199553042.jpeg.jpg

R-1190473-1199553414.jpeg.jpg

DVD-A/V scans:
R-1865436-1394638167-7792.jpeg.jpg

R-1865436-1394638171-1020.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this one on DTS CD, and it is just fantastic. I gave it a 10, great songs and great surround mix, a must have for me. I can't see any reason to upgrade to the DVD-A or SACD, this one sounds superb to me in DTS CD. :)

Well I have all 3 surround versions of this great album.
My SACD developed cracks within 3 weeks of purchase so I had to buy the DVD-A when that came out, but I had the 563a so no play until upgrade.
IMHO the DVD-a has a better drum sound, everthing else sounds the same.

Now, the DTS cd mix is different beast....It has some drums(My Rivial) that are on all of the stereo versions but are missing from the new 5:1 mixes. It sticks out like a sore-thumb to me. But I hardly play the DTS version.

I'm still giving this release a 10...and IMHO there is no major difference between the SACD/DVD-A....except for the cracks ; )

I have the SACD version, (I bought the DVD-A, but no play on my 563a) and thought the sonics and mix to very good to excellent. Lower score because this isn't a great Steely Dan LP, much rather have Aja or Katy Lied in surround.

kumquad

Great on DVD-A (y)

The only reason I gave it a 9 rating was because of the lack of extras.

Not my favorite SD album, but better than the two recent ones. Predictable surround mix, but not bad. It gets an 8 from me.

This album is the biggest improvement I have observed from CD to DVD-A. Surround mix is great and music very good, a solid 9 for me. I don't plan on buying many high resolution surround recordings of music I am so familiar with but this is one that was worth it for me.

Chris

MIDIQ said:
I have this one on DTS CD, and it is just fantastic. I gave it a 10, great songs and great surround mix, a must have for me. I can't see any reason to upgrade to the DVD-A or SACD, this one sounds superb to me in DTS CD. :)
I second your emotion!(y)

All of the Steely Dan/Fagen discs get high marks from me and this is no exception. This one has a soft spot in my heart as it was the first DVD-A that I bought and thus my intro into hi rez surround. I wasn't disappointed. A 10!

I was a bit disappointed with my SACD version compared to my regular 16 bit copy.

The SACD doesn't sound that much better. Just a little less grainy.

I always thought that the regular 16 bit version was a good example of how good a well made CD could sound.

I qualify this comment by saying that I use a good quality CD player but only a modest priced SACD player.

The DVD-A is very smooth; not the best I've ever heard but no regrets. The old DTS CD was pretty good for what it was in it's day but this is the rest of the sound we always knew was there.

I'd say about 8 to 9 for the music, and a 10 for the audio and surround mix. It's pretty much a reference quality DVD-A to show off your 5.1 setup.

I was a bit disappointed with my SACD version compared to my regular 16 bit copy.

The SACD doesn't sound that much better. Just a little less grainy.

I always thought that the regular 16 bit version was a good example of how good a well made CD could sound.

I qualify this comment by saying that I use a good quality CD player but only a modest priced SACD player.

Hmm, must be the SACD player. Listening to Gaucho here in Super Audio CD surround, it's excellent!

One of those discs I reserve a 10 for. I have the DVDa. Definitely one to be used for demo'ing your system.

a keeper. I have yet to hear the sacd or dts but this was very well thought out. I have all the dvd-audio stuff that the dan put out and all of fagens solo stuff on HR. I'm extremly pleased with this stuff. from a tape master to almost perfection, with no audible noise that was always there in older formats. I remember my 1st cd player , I had "Abbey Road" you could hear the tape start ( hiss). but now all this stuff from the 70's sounds sooo nice!

Back