HiRez Poll Steely Dan - GAUCHO [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Steely Dan - GAUCHO

• Total voters
I found 3 copies of the DVD-A today... but I left 2 for the next lucky owners.

Steely Dan has never been one of my favourites, but geez this disc is great. Sonically and musically.

The store also had a copy of the dts version, but it was $6 more... how'd they figure that ???

I agree with the reference rating.

I've read in this forum that the DTS and SACD mixes are different.

BUT

Are the SACD and DVD-A mixes the same?

Arigato,

G

I've read in this forum that the DTS and SACD mixes are different.

BUT

Are the SACD and DVD-A mixes the same?

Arigato,

G

Correct. Elliot Scheiner pulled the original master tapes and retransferred and remixed them for the SACD and DVD-A releases.

I pulled this one (DVD-A) off the shelf the other day because I was taking a big Steely Dan fan with me to a job site that was over an hour away and I wanted him to hear some DVD-A's. Quite frankly, I had not played this disc in a few years because I'd grown tired of the tunes.

Wow! I fogot what a spectacular DVD-A this thing is. I am not sure if Elliot Schiener mixed/EQ'd this especially for the Acura ELS system, but this thing sounds amazing in the car. My Steely Dan fan almost released bodily fluids right from the first notes of "Babylon Sisters". He claimed to hear stuff he had never heard before, and who am I to argue with him?

It just could be that there are so few pop/rock surround titles these days that the ones we have already sound even better to us now, and if I were voting today, this one is clearly a ten. 10 10 10

I don't think that this one is that difficult to find these days, so even if you are a casual fan, you should grab this one while you still can. For a "gee whiz" demo right off the bat, this one is killer.

It's worth noting that the SACD has been OOP for a while now and has become costly ($30+) but the DVD-A is not so if you plan to grab this soon, whatever you do, don't overpay!

Prior to me scoring a reasonably priced SACD I read some reviews that stated the DVD-A was slightly more bass-heavy? I've since heard the DVD-A and don't notice much of a difference. Personally, as with all my hybrids, I love having the CD layer for the car as this is one of my favorite albums to crank up, both in 5.1 and 2.0 (y)

As for the mix itself, I find it interesting to turn off the rears at times and just hear Donald singing w/o the girls. Fantastic work by Mr. Scheiner. A bonafide surround demo for the uninitiated. An easy 10!

Cheers,
Dan

This DVD-A really got my attention yesterday in the car (Acura). It finished playing, and for some reason, it went from Group 1 to Group 2 and started playing the stereo track! I thought I had hit repeat or something, but I briefly noticed the '02' on the display before it started playing track 1 again. To verify, I hit the Change Group button in the car, and suddenly I got what appeared to b 1 minute snippets of Steely Dan classic tunes, like "Reelin in the Years", "Do it Again", "Black Friday"!! In the car, I could not tell if they were mixed fr 5.1 (it was not obvious), but I would guess that Group 3 is a discography or something like that. It's been years since I played this with the video on.

I have to say it really freaked me out! (Showing my age here with that expression)

I bought the dts version initially (semi-tricked on Ebay as it was listed as DVD-Audio) and was impressed so much that I bought the DVD-Audio version too. The DVD-Audio is much better - definitely one of my reference discs.

Well....this is a dull album musically IMHO so it loses points there. Over produced and bland.
The surround mix is pretty good overall but the original recording is way too bright and detailed for me, fatiguing no matter which system or player I use.

Sorry, I know this disc (I have the SACD) is enormously popular but a 6 is the best I can do.

Sorry, I know this disc (I have the SACD) is enormously popular but a 6 is the best I can do.

I really do need to give a disc a second chance, especially if my first impression is not good.
Played this one again tonight and though my initial thoughts remain, I was much too harsh in giving it a 6.
If given the chance to vote again I'd go with an 8.
Luckily enough people have voted on this one that my low number won't skew the overall average.

Their whole catalog screams out "mix me in 5.1." The SACD is my favorite version of this, though the DTS CD has a bit more punch. Love this mix, intelligent, not gimmicky.

7 was the best I could do. Yet, this is one of my FAVE bands. Time Out of Mind is one of the best tracks they ever did! Hey, Nineteen is great, as well. As a Dan fan from the git, I hear a dearth of innovative ideas. These guys were imploding before my eyes. Sonically, this was as good as the big record companies could do at the time. It sparkles. I like the SACD and own the DTS, as well.

I've owned 3-10 copies of every album they've done. Saw them live 4X. In addition, I've seen Fagen solo and NY Rock & Soul Revue. IMHO every other Dan album beats this, except possibly Two Against Nature. Yeah, I know Two was popular and won a Grammy. Aja wowed me. This was and still is a bit of a letdown. The best songs here are as good as anything they've done. The worst are as bad as anything they've done. The mix and recording are great. Maybe it's a 8 but no more.

BTW: I recall buying this as a 2ch new release the day Lennon was murdered.

Linda

QUOTE=The Rang;133113]Well....this is a dull album musically IMHO so it loses points there. Over produced and bland.
The surround mix is pretty good overall but the original recording is way too bright and detailed for me, fatiguing no matter which system or player I use.

Sorry, I know this disc (I have the SACD) is enormously popular but a 6 is the best I can do.[/QUOTE]

This is a no brainer;

Industry standard , exemplary mix (both the DTS disc and the SACD/DVD-A mixes).

Since SACDs don't do it for me anymore (I'm selling my copy-anybody interested? )and after A/Bing it with the DVD-A, the DVD-A comes out the winner- I NEVER get tired of listening to this (well, Third World Man I skip sometimes).
"Time out of mind" is my all time favorite SD song!

(Another one that I've played at least 500 times and NEVER get tired of it is "Kamakiriad", but that's another thread!)

Yeah I'm with you Kap'n Krunch, I love that SACD and I also love the album. I think it's a great album from start to finish (including "Third World man" :)). And I, too, LOVE "Kamakiriad". It's generally considered Fagen's weakest album, but to my mind, all three of them are equally exceptional and "Kamakiriad" has a special place for me. It is the most successful in painting moods and drawing you into them, e.g. in "Snowbound" or "On the Dunes". And then there's the awesome flare that shoots straight across the room in "Snowbound".

Kamakiriad is a great album, as is Gaucho. I believe that Fagen has yet to top Nightfly, which I prefer to Gaucho. Morph was pretty strong. I saw him live on that tour and again that year as Steely Dan w/McDonald.

Linda
:smokin With Jazz and Conversation, From the Foot of Mt. Belzoni

I have both the dts and sacd. Always thought the dts was spectacular sounding but then I purchased the sacd and discovered it sounded even better. The dts always had a slightly scratchy sound on the high end. On the sacd it's gone.
Never heard the dvd a. I imagine that one sounds the best. I give it a 10.

Back