HiRez Poll Young, Neil - HARVEST [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Neil Young - HARVEST

• Total voters
Don C said:
I think it's great. Adventurous mix. I can see why people wouldn't like it if their rear speakers are not very good, putting Neil's voice in the back was a gamble. But it works for me. 10.

I like this one as well. I don't see why people dislike it. I love that effect of Neils voice just hovering in front of your face.

Ed Bishop said:
Adventurous or just plain odd, it's a pity HARVEST was all we got in 5.1 for vintage NY. For all the talk, I'd assumed we'd be getting more. Bummer...:(

ED :)

Yeah. We were supposed to get a lot of the early ablums on DVD-A, remember? Of course, waiting for Neil to do stuff like this is like, well, waiting.....................................

He was so pro-DVD-A. I wonder what happened?

JonUrban said:
Yeah. We were supposed to get a lot of the early ablums on DVD-A, remember? Of course, waiting for Neil to do stuff like this is like, well, waiting.....................................

He was so pro-DVD-A. I wonder what happened?

Obvious speculation is that Harvest didn't sell well enough to justify the effort. In any event, I can guarantee that if the Harvest DVD-A 5.1 had been an enormous success, there would have been more. Bottom line, this is a business and sales volume/projections determines what gets released.

Chris

Just got this one yesterday and I think it is very good, but not great. I am not certain I actually prefer the surround to stereo here but glad I have both as my tastes may change. An 8 with great content and a good mix, although it probably could have been better.

Chris

Obvious speculation is that Harvest didn't sell well enough to justify the effort. In any event, I can guarantee that if the Harvest DVD-A 5.1 had been an enormous success, there would have been more. Bottom line, this is a business and sales volume/projections determines what gets released.

Chris

Chris,

Everything is not always cut and dry "business". For many years, Neil Young had campaigned against the CD, and championed the DVD-Audio format in magazines and TV/Radio interviews. He was on record as stating that he was going to re-release his entire catalog, starting with his early albums, in the DVD-Audio format.

However, any real fan of Neil knows that what he wants to do rarely gets done. How long did we wait for "Decade 2"! ;) (Still waiting)

If the sales of the Harvest DVD-A actually affected future releases, he would not have put out the "missing 4" in stereo DVD. Without 5.1 mixes, those discs were doomed from the start, especially since the stereo CD releases came out before the DVD-A's. Again, real Neil fans can remember saying that these albums would NEVER come out on CD.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Still, looking at this poll, I think this is the only disc in the poll that has at least one of every number in the voting choices. I listened to this again lately and am still not overly impressed with the 5.1 mix, although the audio quality is top notch. It just may be that I do not like the center soundstage vocal. I prefer the center channel vocal myself.

I know, it took me forever to add this to my collection. I have this effort on lp, cassette, cd etc... and saw no immediate reason to grab it as there were others that demanded my hard earned dollar.

Now that these babies are going the way of the dinosaur, I am picking up all that I can.

Having listened to this on DVD-A, I wish that I had picked this up years ago. To me, the mix is fantastic. This must be one of those that you love or hate. The acoustics are clear and balanced and I really like the voice in the middle of the room effect. Does anyone have another recording that uses the "voice in the middle" to the degree it is used here?

Well, I am glad that I have mine!:banana:

Oh yeah, I gave it a 9 :smokin

I love the stuff Neil is putting out in CD/DVD combos with the hi-rez stereo on the DVD. It's actually good enough for me.

I agree and his stereo DVD-A's are great as well. I have purchased so many DVD-A's, DVD-V's and CD's by this artist, I am not looking for more, I feel I have enough unless he surprises me and records a new studio album that is great. I have enough live recordings that I am going to sit out the release of all of his upcoming archive releases. What a great artist, one of my all-time favorites. I think I have 7 CD's, 5 DVD-A's and 4 DVD-V's, few artists are represented as well or get as much play with my collection.

Chris

I saw one at my local BB today... I carried it for a bit and put it back.

Maybe I'll go back tomorrow.

I had to laugh when I reread this thread and all of the varied opinions.

First let me say, I am a big Neil Young fan, and this is one of many of his great releases. His catalog is huge, with some being great, some not as good. I think this is a classic must have from Neil.

I'd have to say, this DVD-A probably rates right up there with the dozen or so that I play most often.

The mix appears to be where an issue lies most among our members. If you momentarily ignore the center channel, I believe the mix is more reminiscent of how a lot of legacy Quad recordings were mixed, when the engineers were a bit more adventurous. Others have said that they have no problem with the vocal mix, and I agree with them. All of the vocals are crisp and clear, for instance allowing you to easily pick out Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor's backing vocals on "Old Man".

I had forgotten that Harvest included a 24/192 stereo track. Not that I could tell the difference between it and 24/96, but still a feature that more DVD-A discs should have offered.

From Neil Young's recent comments we still may get to experience the rest of his back catalog in hi-res on Blu-ray and 24/96 LPCM DVD-V. Whether any will be remixed for multichannel remains to be seen.

I voted on this title a few years back, but it still gets a 10. :sun

Dennis

I think that this is the only title in the HiRez poll that has at least one vote in each rating value! :mad:@:

I think that this is the only title in the HiRez poll that has at least one vote in each rating value! :mad:@:

I think that all that is needed here is a comparison to any of the Genesis SACD's. With that in mind, the NY title suddenly becomes a jewel in the crown of surround sound mixing.

I really liked this when it first came out in vinyl. I haven't had a turntable for years. When I got the surround system and saw this available I swooped up a copy and have not once regretted doing so. I tell the story often of sitting in the sweet spot with my wife at my side and having her comment that she never knew there was a (some instrument) in that song. She doesn't have the same appreciation of the high end recording that I do so any compliment from her on the sound goes a long way with me. If you liked the album, buy this and love it again for the first time.

I have multiple CD Pressings of this album and the DVD-A is by far and away the best sounding of all. I have a rare Australian GOLD pressing that was my go to copy until I got the DVD-A, I will hang on to that one still but this is a great DVD-A!

10. If they included Sweet Caroline, I would have given it an 11. Oh, wait, that's a different Neil. But seriously, the mix and music are good. A DVD-A that I bought the first day it was out. I need to spin it more often.

Neil-Young-Harvest-333081.jpg

10. If they included Sweet Caroline, I would have given it an 11. Oh, wait, that's a different Neil. But seriously, the mix and music are good. A DVD-A that I bought the first day it was out. I need to spin it more often.

they should have included - "one small step for man, one giant step for mankind"
ooops wrong neil , my hero. infact - I was lucky enough to meet him yrs ago, he lived in Cincinnati, OH where I live. He was a eagle scout as I was, I was able to meet him and invite him to a eagle scout dinner. I have two signed personal letters from him.

I have the Neil Young DVD -A of Harvest. It is the best version out there by far.

Back