HiRez Poll Nash, Graham - SONGS FOR SURVIVORS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Graham Nash - SONGS FOR SURVIVORS

• Total voters
Hello,

Nice album, gave it a ten. This leaves Stephen Stills w/o a surround contribution...

Couldn't help but notice how much "Nothing In The World" sounds like Lennon/McCartney's "Don't Let Me Down", check it out.

Hello,

Nice album, gave it a ten. This leaves Stephen Stills w/o a surround contribution...

Couldn't help but notice how much "Nothing In The World" sounds like Lennon/McCartney's "Don't Let Me Down", check it out.

Stills SQ LP was available as a DTS CD! :smokin

It has been brickwall limited, but not excessively so. Great disc, great mix. Been enjoying it for years!

There is limiting, of course. Recording multitrack without any use of limiting isn't desirable, and may be impossible.

Brickwall limiting is subjecting the entire program (during mastering) to essentially inifinite peak limiting. The result is a waveform with completely flat tops in portions -- 100% compression. There is no good sonic justification for doing this, only the blind pursuit of LOUDNESS. I haven't put SFS on a scope, but I don't hear anything indicating that sort of sonic treachery.

Just recently acquired this one, and was pleasantly surprised with how good it is. What a nice surround mix! I'm giving it a 9. highly recommended.

Dennis

Picked this up recently for an Amazon market place bargain price. Very much like it and echo the comments made by the previous posters good disc 9 for me

A 10 - great performances, great songs and a great surround mix. The lyrical content gets more relevant and persuasive as the years roll by.

8. Good material, could have been a bit better. Wonderful fidelity. I'm an old rabble rouser from way back. I still protest, write E-mails, and lobby. I risked arrest this past Saturday. Since this isn't a political forum, I won't discuss what we were protesting. There's more to life than sitting on your butt and watching TV. I miss the politically conscious music that abounded 40+ years ago. Nash keeps that torch burning. I like the DVD-A of Songs for Beginners, too.

Linda
Up Against the Wall, Mother&*%$#r

Wow, up against the wall Mother&*%$#r. Was that by David Peel or something like that. I'll have to look it up in the archives. I believe it was on Electra.
Phil S.

Yup. That was on "Have a Marijuana" on Elektra. I think I still have that LP somewhere.

"Liar's Nightmare" for me sums up the prevailing mood of this disc. Songs for Survivors is a world away from the happy hippy days of CSNY, and Nash's best solo album since Songs for Beginners. There is a hard-edged wisdom in these songs, but no backtracking. Give it a spin if you like Nash at all.

Here's Graham....

Here's Graham....

The reason we did that is that the album was originally recorded at 48k/24bit. The album was also mixed and mastered in the digital domain. Since such care was taken during the recording process we felt that the sample rate conversion process that would take it to 96k was more damaging to the product than leaving it alone. Since the original medium was 48k the only reason to upsample it would have been a marketing one. To be honest the reason THAT record sounds so good is that it WASN'T released at 96k. Had the original recording been recorded at 96k then the DVD-A release would certainly have followed suit. Hope that's clear.

I don't understand, I thought it was recorded on analogue tape?!

This strikes me as a bizarre, possibly technically incorrect way of explaining that GN doesn't care for the anomalies that creep in when upsampling (a debate that's ongoing now with Dolby's new spin on it, which I still don't buy.. but there you go...)

I have to confess I've only played this DVDA once since I bought it and wasn't overly grabbed by the balls by it!
I'll have to give it another chance or two soon, before thinking about what to vote.

I like the Beginners DVD-A and the consequence was I should have these to. Got it for decent Money from the Amazon marketplace.

very fine disc with several choices 5.1 MLP or dts track...lyrics on the Screen and Equipment used in the booklet.

What should I say: a 10.

Short take: Sonically, whoa!

This has been unopened on my shelf since April of 2011. This is the simple result of more surround music in my collection that I can get to because I came late to the game.

I am seeing Graham in concert next week, so it is clearly time to check these out. Songs For Beginners will be next.

OK, this went into the player on the heels of Muscle of Love - the recent SACD release. I was immediately struck by the contrast of the clarity of the sound and the open feeling of the mix. Sonically and separation-wise this is a demo disc.

Musically I was not as impressed on the first listen, which I can only guess is due to the fact that normally when I hear Graham Nash sing he is carrying a tune with which I am comfortably familiar. The songs are not bad. Many are left leaning to be sure. So if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, you may wish to proceed with caution. By the same token, if you come from that political persuasion you are likely to be doubly enamored with the disc. On second listen the songs are pleasant enough, and obviously well presented by the sonics and mix. Perhaps these will grow on me. But thus far I am not feeling the same attraction I continue to feel for his work with CSNY et.al.

I cannot fault anything technical here, and the 24/48 presentation is perfect for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Funny thing: as of this writing the DVD-A is cheaper than the redbook CD for this disc. Go figure. If this has slipped under your radar and you like Nash, I would say this is a no-brainer: Recommended. 8 from me. I wish the same technical team would get ahold of the CSNY multitracks!

Short take: Sonically, whoa!

This has been unopened on my shelf since April of 2011. This is the simple result of more surround music in my collection that I can get to because I came late to the game.

I am seeing Graham in concert next week, so it is clearly time to check these out. Songs For Beginners will be next.

OK, this went into the player on the heels of Muscle of Love - the recent SACD release. I was immediately struck by the contrast of the clarity of the sound and the open feeling of the mix. Sonically and separation-wise this is a demo disc.

Musically I was not as impressed on the first listen, which I can only guess is due to the fact that normally when I hear Graham Nash sing he is carrying a tune with which I am comfortably familiar. The songs are not bad. Many are left leaning to be sure. So if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, you may wish to proceed with caution. By the same token, if you come from that political persuasion you are likely to be doubly enamored with the disc. On second listen the songs are pleasant enough, and obviously well presented by the sonics and mix. Perhaps these will grow on me. But thus far I am not feeling the same attraction I continue to feel for his work with CSNY et.al.

I cannot fault anything technical here, and the 24/48 presentation is perfect for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Funny thing: as of this writing the DVD-A is cheaper than the redbook CD for this disc. Go figure. If this has slipped under your radar and you like Nash, I would say this is a no-brainer: Recommended. 8 from me. I wish the same technical team would get ahold of the CSNY multitracks!

Another stunner from Crosby/Nash is DTS Entertainment's MLP 96/24 5.1 DVD~A of Another Stoney Evening. Just checked AmazonUS and they have a few left new/used http://www.amazon.com/Another-Stoney-Evening-Crosby-Nash/dp/B000078JKE

Back