HiRez Poll McDonald, Michael - MOTOWN (First) [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Michael McDonald - MOTOWN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

McDonald Motown Front.jpgMcDonald Motown Back.jpg

Last edited:
I don't usually like covers. I mean, I usually HATE covers. One on an album I can take, but entire albums of covers usually turn me off. I still can't bring myself to get the Rod Stewart DVD-A because although I hate cover albums, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate "standards" albums by bandwagon jumping "classic" artists. ("What's New" was fine, everything else I have problems with)

Anyway, that's just me. BUT, being a M/C guy, and seeing as there has been SO LITTLE stuff released in the past year (good stuff), I bought this SACD and played it. On first listen, the only songs I liked were the ones from the MCI commercials! :D

Then I got the Acura, and my wife the DVD-A because she like Motown and Michael McDonald. She now drives around with this DVD-A all the time. At this point, I am to the point where I actually like MOST of it. I always skip "How Sweet it Is", but many of the others I turn up.

The music itself is great, tight arrangements, the surround is fairly dicrete, and Mr McDonald has the perfect "Motown" voice.

If you can get past the fact that these are "covers", and you start with only the songs you like, you will come to like this disc.

I am now looking forward to the SACD of the second disc! What a change, eh?

PS - I still don't have the Rod Stewart, and I probably never will!

I rate it at 8.

His motown voice is well tuned and the music is very listenable.
A good clean mix. (Anyone visualize the "California Raisins?") :rolleyes:

I was leary when I picked it up on Sunday, but it's a nice listen all around.

Well recorded and well mixed.

You have to play it a few times.

I liked most of the covers, the songs on the first half of the disc are better that the last half. I took off two points just because the arrangement on "How Sweet It Is" is just horrendous. Took a great song and made it unrecognizable.
I liked the surround mix, just couldn't take some of the arrangements.

I must admit: two or three songs are a bit boring to my ears, but the soundquality is really excellent and the mix makes good use of all speakers. Mr McDonald's voice fits this kind of music very well in my opinion. I give it an 8, no wait, a 9.

revisited Motown 1&2 today, downgrading from a "9" to a "7".

neither albums got a knockout surround mix and both albums are a bit "overlong" with some uninspired arrangements of too many tracks.

it was a tall order to take on all those classic songs, he's got the vocal abilities but this material just didn't move me at all second time around.

if the mixes were whizzbang surround that might've kept it up in the "8" range but the surround is pretty tame and really doesn't do much to boost excitement levels.

revisited Motown 1&2 today, downgrading from a "9" to a "7".

neither albums got a knockout surround mix and both albums are a bit "overlong" with some uninspired arrangements of too many tracks.

it was a tall order to take on all those classic songs, he's got the vocal abilities but this material just didn't move me at all second time around.

if the mixes were whizzbang surround that might've kept it up in the "8" range but the surround is pretty tame and really doesn't do much to boost excitement levels.
They also sounded a little harsh (or pushed) to me, especially the first one.

Back