Elton John SACD Surround Sound Sampler & Marketing Campaign

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Sony Electronics & Universal Records are teaming up for a major marketing campaign to support the 6 upcoming Surround Sound SACDs by Elton John.

Of special note, music fans who attend the marketing events will receive a 7 track Elton John Surround Sound SACD Sampler.

See the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=16388941 for more details.

I'm hoping to get a picture of Captain Fantastic and my SACD autographed by The Brown Dirt Cowboy. ;)

Hey OppoFood - I know where you've seen a copy of the EJ SACD sampler ....:) Buy Now!!!

Seems like it's still going pretty cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELTON-JOHN-...110916451674?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item19d322bd5a

Odd track selection. I would have expected (loved) more hits on it, as I could never warm up to his early albums, but like the well-known singles.

Are you kidding? Elton John's early work was by far the best, he reached his peak with "Madman Across the Water" after that he got progressively worse with each new album. And the early albums did produce a lot of hits, I guess that you must be too young to remember them. To bad that 11/17/70 (17/11/70) isn't available in surround, although I've seen a Japanese stereo SACD version.

Are you kidding? Elton John's early work was by far the best, he reached his peak with "Madman Across the Water" after that he got progressively worse with each new album. And the early albums did produce a lot of hits, I guess that you must be too young to remember them. To bad that 11/17/70 (17/11/70) isn't available in surround, although I've seen a Japanese stereo SACD version.

"Honky Chateau", "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" are all progressively worse than each other..?? i love those albums up to and including "Madman" as much anyone but to say that everything that came after was not as good, i struggle with.

as for hits, "Tumbleweed" had no singles and the chart performance of singles from both the self-titled album ("Border Song", "Your Song") and "Madman" ("Levon" and "Tiny Dancer") pale in comparison with the string of 6 colossal Number One Hits (plus many other Top 5's & Top 10's) that followed the "Madman" album, starting with "Crocodile Rock" from '73's "Don't Shoot Me" and ending with 76's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart".

Elton became progressively more commercial and poppy after '71, his sound/image both changed drastically and albums like "Caribou", "Rock of the Westies" and "Blue Moves" were not as consistently great as the other albums from his "classic years" ('70 to '76).. there were dips in quality, yes..but worse!?

different maybe.. or not your cup of tea.. but all worse than "Madman" is a tricky one for me to accept and i don't think i'm alone on that.

In 1970, I heard Border Song on an FM station. I ran out and bought Elton John. A few months later, Your Song became a big hit. As with many artists, the early stuff was the best. I still love much of Elton's later works. Although there were no hits, Tumbleweed Connection is still my fave.

Fred, I know you're the consummate Elton Fan. Yet, I have to disagree that GBYBR is a lesser work than anything before it. It is a wonderful album, head and shoulders above all but Tumbleweed.

As to being commercial, I believe that much of this lies with Bernie Taupin, who wrote the lion's share of Elton's lyrics. It may have been conscious pandering to commercial tastes, but I believe that Bernie evolved from a romantic dreamer to somewhat less adventurous in his themes.

There are many Elton songs I might consider duds. Yet, I can't think of many other artists with his longevity or consistently good music.

Hey par4ken, that's what I'm saying, though. The early albums produced a lot of hits, and I do like them. But for instance, I could not warm up to e.g. Madman in its entirety, though I will readily attest to its musical greatness. These early albums are surely very good, but they don't vibe with me.

That said, I'm with Linda: "I can't think of many other artists with his longevity or consistently good music."

In 1970, I heard Border Song on an FM station. I ran out and bought Elton John. A few months later, Your Song became a big hit. As with many artists, the early stuff was the best. I still love much of Elton's later works. Although there were no hits, Tumbleweed Connection is still my fave.

Fred, I know you're the consummate Elton Fan. Yet, I have to disagree that GBYBR is a lesser work than anything before it. It is a wonderful album, head and shoulders above all but Tumbleweed.

As to being commercial, I believe that much of this lies with Bernie Taupin, who wrote the lion's share of Elton's lyrics. It may have been conscious pandering to commercial tastes, but I believe that Bernie evolved from a romantic dreamer to somewhat less adventurous in his themes.

There are many Elton songs I might consider duds. Yet, I can't think of many other artists with his longevity or consistently good music.

oh no, Linda! you've got the wrong end of the stick! I was saying that I don't agree with par4ken at all..!

imo, GYBR is just as good as the first 3 Buckmaster-orchestrated '70-'71 albums, if not better!
certainly all his classic albums (and even the non-classics!) from Don't Shoot Me onwards were much more varied & diverse than EJ/TC/Madman. plus they were/are much more accessible, catchier and far more popular, none of which detracts from them, for me at any rate..!

as for the 'dumbing down' of Elton (as I've heard it referred to) when he became poppy, flashy, glam (and fabulous!) which started in earnest in '72, I think it can be equally apportioned to EJ & BT, they were both going for a more commercial sound & feel. ("..together, the two of them were mining gold.."). BT's lyrics & EJ's music both changed direction, pretty much for good, around that time.

I still say there's a fair bit of BT the ethereal, romantic dreamer (I like that description, Linda) upto and including GYBR.

Bernie the country mouse to Elton's town mouse, alongside the more knowing, cynical BT that was creeping in as he was maturing. it's easy to forget Bernie was only 19 when he wrote the lyrics to "Your Song".

the song "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" itself, for example, points to the more grown up cynicism of a 23 year old, who's crammed a lot into the last 4 years. there's a sneering weariness in some of his lyrics, from '72 onwards, largely absent in the first 4 LPs, along with misogyny and a trend towards stereotypes & cliches that did eventually get worse, that I will concede to, after the 70-76 golden period. a facet that was particularly more prominent from '74 (the Caribou LP) onwards (I'm thinking things like You're So Static, Sick City).

still, even by the time of "Captain Fantastic", despite digs at music industry big-wigs ("Bitter Fingers") Bernie still had that magical way of expressing joy, beauty. he hadn't become totally hardened to the world.. yet..

".. we wrote it and I played it,
something happened,
it's so strange this feeling..
naive notions that were childish,
simple tunes that tried to hide it
but when it comes..
We all fall in love sometimes."

this Elton compilation seems worth having. a quick fix rather than pulling out 5 sacds.

and to further expand this thread :

the 1971 movie FRIENDS that Elton and Bernie wrote the soundtrack for was actually an enjoyable film.
a story of first love .
the music from the soundtrack was some of their best work.

Attachments

• friends.jpg
    friends.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 354
I gave away my copy of the LP long ago ,
but I'm semi-seriously thinking about getting a dvd of the film

just thinking about Rare Masters.. at the time that was a really significant set, as it was the first time out on CD for an awful lot of Elton's material, the B-Sides, the previously unreleased tracks, the Friends soundtrack.. DJM released the "Lady Samantha" LP on CD, which compiled some of the B-Sides that later made it to Rare Masters... but it was still a great box set.

I'd always hoped there would be a Rare Masters Volume 2, with all the 1980's B-Sides, finally released on CD.. but that never happened.

Even the remastered CDs of the 80's albums ("21 at 33", "The Fox", "Jump Up!", "Breaking Hearts", together with a remastered "Victim of Love", all released in 2003 here in the UK) featured no Bonus tracks.. unlike the '95 & '98 remasters, which were all loaded with extras!

interesting little bit of info, I met a guy last night who was responsible for transferring all the multitracks from Elton's master tapes for the latest "Good Morning to the Night/ Elton vs.Pnau" remix album thats just come out.

he said it was a real labour of love, compiling all the tracks, etc but such great fun discovering things in Elton's vaults.

he also hinted that there would be more remixes to come from Pnau, that Universal would green light another album of remixes if the one out now were to sell consistently well enough to remain at Number One for at least another couple of weeks. he added that mastertapes for some 80's Elton albums (including "Too Low for Zero") had been transferred in anticipation of a Volume 2.

he also mentioned that there were no multitrack masters for the "11-17-70" album and so that made it difficult for Pnau to incorporate it into the track "Sixty" as was their intention but they managed to sample Eltons' piano and Nigels' drum elements from the stereo tapes and include them in the track.

he said that Elton owns his own masters and that he has them all securely stored away. he was very impressed at how well cared for they are, compared to other artists tapes he has pulled.

he said some are the original analogue (some of which needed to be baked before they could use them but otherwise were ok), some were digital dubs, others he said had been destroyed in a fire in the USA some years ago but there were backups here in England. of all the master tapes, he said the Thom Bell produced songs were in the best shape, by far, sounding absolutely incredible.

when i asked him why they went to all the time/trouble/expense of creating new transfers for isolated multitracks for the producers to work with (as it had all been done by Gus Skinas/Greg Penny & their people for the Elton SACD programme years ago and all the tracks, whether 16 or 24 track, were available to them as 24/96 files they could edit and fiddle about with in Pro Tools etc..) he looked aghast!

nobody at any point had ever mentioned to him, or those he was working with on this new project (work for which he said began in 2008) that these transfers of the multitracks had already been done years ago for the Elton surround releases.. and so the chap i met yesterday had, it turned out, just been duplicating earlier efforts..!!

oh and he also said that there are definitely multitracks for The Who's "Who's Next" album, they are not missing at all, he has worked on them himself. he felt that the 5.1 mix of Who's Next didn't happen for other reasons and that their being missing was just an excuse.

he also said that in his experience surround music in general was something that many in his industry (and many musicians too) didn't care much about. he added that compression & brickwalling is now routine and he didn't feel there'd be any turning back on that now. he also said that there's a reputation in the industry that original CD masterings were poor, no matter what! I told him I begged to differ..

I asked him if I could interview him for QQ, or for the Elton fan club (which I'm a member of) to talk about his involvement in working with the multis etc.. but he declined, sadly. If I get to see him again anytime soon, I'll try and get more info out of him at least, he was a very amiable fellow.

11-17-70, titled 17-11-70 in Europe, was originally broadcast live on ABC FM stations in the US. Perhaps this is the reason that it was never mixed for surround and that multitrack masters don't exist. I listened to it when it aired on WLS-FM and was amazed to find it on LP a few months later. The album release didn't move me. Yet, when it came out 20 years later as an expanded 2 CD set, I was wowed!

As to Who's Next, it's no surprise that we were fed BS. There is an on camera interview from several years ago where Brian Wilson is asked about Smile. He said, "it will never come out. The masters were destroyed." Then where did those boots and last years's official release come from?

11-17-70, titled 17-11-70 in Europe, was originally broadcast live on ABC FM stations in the US. Perhaps this is the reason that it was never mixed for surround and that multitrack masters don't exist. I listened to it when it aired on WLS-FM and was amazed to find it on LP a few months later. The album release didn't move me. Yet, when it came out 20 years later as an expanded 2 CD set, I was wowed!

As to Who's Next, it's no surprise that we were fed BS. There is an on camera interview from several years ago where Brian Wilson is asked about Smile. He said, "it will never come out. The masters were destroyed." Then where did those boots and last years's official release come from?

the LP was (allegedly) rushed out by DJM to beat the bootleggers of the day at their own game!

I'm at a loss as to how there could have been no multitracks at any time, at least up until the early to mid 90's, as I own at least three quite different officially released mixes.. the UK DJM LP being a different mix to the US MCA plaidback CD.. and then Gus, controversially, radically remixed it for the Rocket remasters in '95, adding one song, Amoreena but also adding a load of chorus effects and threw reverb over the whole thing.

Wikipedia's entry on the album gives some more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-11-70

The only currently available CD of the remaining 7 songs is a bootleg called "Indian Sunset".

http://www.eltonography.com/albums/imports/indian_sunset.html

So true on the so-called "missing tapes".. Lies! All lies! Grr..!! :(

Back