Elton John SACD Surround Sound Sampler & Marketing Campaign

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as of the 1st of 2013, we have now reached 225 likes. The extra "juice" thanks to Facebook's advertising credit has helped to add many new fans to the page to support our cause.
But now that we have actually begun 2013 (aka the 40th anniversary of "Don't Shoot Me"), now we have to figure out how to spread this message to the powers that be. Obviously I'm sure, based on my email with Greg Penny last year, that he will get behind our cause because he is still passionate about these unreleased 5.1 mixes, but it's hard to say how much clout he can muster with the labels and with Elton.
What is really getting to me is it looks like UMG and Elton are planning something for the 40th anniversary of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", an album that has already been released in 5.1 for its 30th anniversary, and yet "Don't Shoot Me" and the other Elton albums from the 70s are still sitting on a shelf.
Any and all advice on how to spread our cause is greatly appreciated. :)

https://www.facebook.com/SurroundEltonJohn

Well as of the 1st of 2013, we have now reached 225 likes. The extra "juice" thanks to Facebook's advertising credit has helped to add many new fans to the page to support our cause.
But now that we have actually begun 2013 (aka the 40th anniversary of "Don't Shoot Me"), now we have to figure out how to spread this message to the powers that be. Obviously I'm sure, based on my email with Greg Penny last year, that he will get behind our cause because he is still passionate about these unreleased 5.1 mixes, but it's hard to say how much clout he can muster with the labels and with Elton.
What is really getting to me is it looks like UMG and Elton are planning something for the 40th anniversary of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", an album that has already been released in 5.1 for its 30th anniversary, and yet "Don't Shoot Me" and the other Elton albums from the 70s are still sitting on a shelf.
Any and all advice on how to spread our cause is greatly appreciated. :)

https://www.facebook.com/SurroundEltonJohn

There will almost certainly be a Super Deluxe 40th Anniversary set of GYBR, from the rumours I've heard so far. No idea as to what will be in it.. but it's bound to consist mostly of previously released material as there really aren't that many related things that haven't been officially released before that are connected with the album.

A few things I reckon UMG could unearth that would make the package worthwhile spring to mind..
1. Demos (for the entire GYBR album, including the first demo of Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting, which was the sum total of the aborted efforts of the first recording sessions for the album in Jamaica, before EJ & co returned to the Honky Chateau, all of which have long been rumoured to exist but have never surfaced in any form until now),
2. the complete Bryan Forbes' documentary (excerpts used in the Classic Albums Making of GYBR doc),
3. as much of the surviving Hollywood Bowl concert footage that Forbes filmed (legendary gig where Elton was introduced by Linda Lovelace.. there were 5 grand pianos that were opened up one by one and spelt out "E-L-T-O-N" on the inside lid as he came down the steps on the stage in a white feather hat and outfit, the piano lids themselves were opened by people in costumes the likes of Frankensteins' monster, Batman, etc.. and white doves flew out of the pianos! you get the picture.. totally daft, decadent, over the top!),
4. the BBC concert recording (audio only) of Elton, Davey, Dee & Nigel Live at Hammersmith December 22nd 1973
(there are a couple of bootlegs of this already, one in particular in great quality but edited to fit one CD, the other - called "21 Years of Fun" has the complete show across 2 CDs, it doesn't sound quite as clean but is of immense interest to fans.. its a notable gig in itself as it features specific GYBR album tracks that he seldom/never performed live since, including an entire warm-up/rehearsal section where Elton/the band perform GYBR numbers such as "This Song Has No Title", "The Ballad of Danny Bailey" and "I've Seen That Movie Too"..).

Also, I've posted about this on QQ before.. I had a conversation about the unreleased SACDs with the woman who runs eltonjohn.com, Laura Croker, some 6 or 7 years ago and she was under the impression they had all been released already! I could pursue it with her again but I'm a little out of the loop these days and I doubt it'd achieve much.. meantime I'll see if there's anything else I can come up with.

Are these versions different than those found on the albums?

I'd love for Universal to take example of the Chicago Quadio box and release a box with every 5.1 mixes they have of Elton's albums.

I don't know, i've never compared them, sorry Simon (not even sure if I ever played that sampler though, don't remember playing it anyway! :eek: )

"Wouldn't it be nice..." ;)
The situation (as I understand it, info as recently as this year, though these things are often in a state of flux aren't they?) wrt the EJ 5.1's absolutely madman-maddening (am not at liberty to divulge but believe me its just agonising.. and shows how arse-cripplingly unimaginative, unwieldy and draconian some major labels' licensing policy/strategy/mindset can be :(

Back