Elton John SACD Surround Sound Sampler & Marketing Campaign

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isn't it extraordinary to think that we've had complete/comprehensive surround collections of albums from artists like Nick Cave, Depeche Mode, Bjork, Porcupine Tree, R.E.M., Talking Heads, some from smaller labels/imprints, some acts having more modest sales.. and yet the biggest label of all, Universal, could not (and still seemingly cannot) find the budget to release a handful of generally accepted classic albums in surround by one of the worlds' all-time biggest-selling artists that are all mixed in 5.1 and ready to go... beggars belief.

"Blues For Baby And Me".

It makes me ball my eyes out every time. So sad for a dad.

I will chip in for 'Caribou'.

I've literally had recurring dreams of walking into a record store and there magically being all the remaining Elton and Steely Dan 5.1 SACDs there in the racks... and then I wake up!

"obsessed much..??" :eek:

what if these mixes did finally get released.. and they turned out to be sub par in some way!?

mindful of whats just happened to SW's TAAB, I'm thinking more in the mastering department than anything else..

"Don't Shoot Me" has always sounded a bit "hot"/overdriven and "Caribou" a bit bright.. and as for Steely Dan, "Katy Lied" has the inherent DBX (or whatever it was!?) noise reduction goof in the master tape itself..

...so hopefully any surround remixes would have had a little inspired tweaking/mastering wizardry to workaround all that and make them sound as truly majestic as possible..!!

I'm confident if ES did the rest of the SDs and with Greg Penny's amazing track record, the surround mixes themselves would be as incredible as all the others that did make it onto the shelves!

Realized I didn't have this one and just ordered a copy.

nice one! (y)

you won't regret it, Captain Fantastic is absolutely AMAZING in surround..!!

still one of my all-time favourite albums in 5.1, eight years (and approx 500 other quad & 5.1 mixes of a great variety of artists and genres of music) later.

The bonus track question just makes me want these released even more :(
I am grateful for the EJ ones we have, but some of these tracks are likely demo tracks.

The bonus track question just makes me want these released even more :(
I am grateful for the EJ ones we have, but some of these tracks are likely demo tracks.

It doesn't mean it was the only one but the only demo/previously unreleased track that ever got talked about in the pre-hype about the next batch of Elton SACDs at the time was "Ducktail Jiver", which was to be a bonus on the "Caribou" disc.

It was reported at the time that Davey Johnstone had been drafted in to complete the track by adding electric guitar, which was the original intention all along but the track got shelved back in '74 and left unfinished.

Believe me, when the release of the remaining Greg Penny 5.1 Elton mixes were cancelled at the last minute I was as gutted as anyone. "ducktail's" a fun little track in its incomplete/demo form but with the excitement of hearing it at the time.. I just could not wait to hear it finished... 8 years later with no-show on these remaing Elton surround mixes, it feels like I never will.

Big sigh :(

New poll question for the week, focusing on the bonus tracks. Which one do you want to hear the most in 5.1 surround?

https://www.facebook.com/SurroundEltonJohn :)

too many to choose! so I'll name one from each album!

from Don't Shoot Me, it would have to be the "Piano Version"/re-recording of "Skyline Pigeon"..
from Caribou, "Ducktail Jiver"..
from Westies, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"..
..and from Blue Moves, though there were no bonus tracks on the '96 Rocket Remaster CD, I'd have loved to hear "Snow Queen" in surround.

Back