HiRez Poll Donnas - GOLD MEDAL [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Donnas - GOLD MEDAL

• Total voters
I recently ordered one of these and it came in today. It will be weeks before I get around to playing it. I couldn't find anywhere what was wrong with the disc. If it is just the CD side not playing in many players, I have a bunch of DualDiscs CD sides that don't play in my primary CD players so that is nothing new to me. If there is something else screwed up, I would like to know what it is, and I may just return it without opening it. What little I know of The Donnas, I like and I was looking forward to playing this one after I play the other recent additions to my pile. What a nutcase I am, how can I ever listen to all this crap?

Chris

I recently ordered one of these and it came in today. It will be weeks before I get around to playing it. I couldn't find anywhere what was wrong with the disc. If it is just the CD side not playing in many players, I have a bunch of DualDiscs CD sides that don't play in my primary CD players so that is nothing new to me. If there is something else screwed up, I would like to know what it is, and I may just return it without opening it. What little I know of The Donnas, I like and I was looking forward to playing this one after I play the other recent additions to my pile. What a nutcase I am, how can I ever listen to all this crap?

Chris
IIRC, the last song ends prematurely....either on the cd side or the hi rez side, can't recall.

The lead Donna can't sing (she's even worse live).

But the band is tight, the tunes VERY catchy, lyrics cool and honest. A crash course in straight-up rock. The real star is the guitarist, who seems to have an endless supply of perfect parts perfectly played. I can't believe how much sound they get out of a three piece. The keyboardist in me is jealous.

Check out their Hi-def concert now playing on INHD1. That got me started.

Oh yeah, the surround. Almost forgot.
Or was I was just trying to?
It's a zero.

Since this release is long out-of-print, try any used disc source.
My local Wherehouse had two at $7.99.

Anyone see these anymore? (I don't need one, it's just that you don't hear about it anymore - the first DualDisc, the first step down the road of the downfall of DVD-Audio)

Does anybody know if this DualDisc was repressed? I know when it came out it was recalled because of a mastering error. This title is also cool because the case emulated a fuzzy black light poster of the 70's.

The fuzzy black slipcase is cool indeed, and the music is great if you like stripped down rock (I do) :phones. Unfortunately the surround mix adds nothing to the stereo experience. I vote a 5 for music and a 1 for mix = 6.

As noted above, the error is on the CD side so I wouldn't be hunting another copy even if a corrected pressing was done.

By the way, I believe the proper album title is "Gold Medal". This is the only Donnas disc in surround, isn't it?

Mark Z

Finally got a copy off ePay and LOVE it! But I love the Donnas. Something about chicks and guitars...:rolleyes: I'm a closet Joan Jett fan too.

Surround mix is average, but I feel lucky just to have one. And the velvet slipcase is worth an extra poll point all by itself :D I gave it a 7.

The fuzzy black slipcase is cool indeed, and the music is great if you like stripped down rock (I do) :phones. Unfortunately the surround mix adds nothing to the stereo experience. I vote a 5 for music and a 1 for mix = 6.

As noted above, the error is on the CD side so I wouldn't be hunting another copy even if a corrected pressing was done.

By the way, I believe the proper album title is "Gold Medal". This is the only Donnas disc in surround, isn't it?

Mark Z

Gold Medal was the early DualDisc DVD-A so I assume the album title for this thread is wrong. There was a second DualDisc by this group if I recall correctly, although I don't recall which one or if it was a DVD-A, or just DVD-V. The album titled The Donnas was released in 1998 and was not the early DVD-A, although it might have been a subsequent DualDisc release, I am not sure.

Chris

I assume "Gold Medal" was the one we were talking about. If there was another Donnas DualDisc, I never heard about it.

I assume that it is "gold medal" as well....well that's what my copy says..actually the title track is (I.M.O.) the best track on the disc...and the best mix for surround as well....I found it fairly easy to find cheap...

Newbury conics is selling this title in their ebay store for $1.99 Buy it now, plus shipping. I don't know how many of them they have, but I bought one, and they soon listed another.

I just picked one up on EBay for 0.99p i am even more surprised to find its a CD and DVDA and not a Dual Disc, was this repressed or is it just us EU based people got the better deal ?

Mine is a dual and it was recalled. I do'nt think there was ever a replacement issued in NA

I don't know what to make of this one so far, I need to play it a few more times.

Initial thoughts.. a waste of a 5.1 Adv Res DVDA.. very bright sounding and the surround mix is virtually just all drum ambience in the rears..

..but I'll give it another chance before I vote. right now I couldn't give it more than a 3 or 4, which would be unfair after one listen.

A couple of things here:

Classic example of a band releasing something in multichannel that wasn't one of their best releases, or that happened after their popularity starting to wane.

Also, they're not really a band that would lend itself well to 5.1 unless you really centered that vocal in SW fashion and tried to swirl the guitar around the soundfield or something. It'd take some imagination, and that's in short supply with surround mixers nowadays.

Never heard the mix. Heard the album, though. Not surprised.

I've seen this available on Amazon recently for less than $6, but I didn't bite even at that price based on the comments here. But for anyone looking, it's still out there.

Back