HiRez Poll Donnas - GOLD MEDAL [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Donnas - GOLD MEDAL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Great rocking songs! These girls took me by surprise.
The mix is not a classic, kinda reminds me of the Electric Warrior mix(not one of my faves) It's like a deep stereo with some reverb in the back. But the tunes are killer. 8 !

oh, and the cd side plays EVERYWHERE!

Lousy stores here sent them back. Couldn't get one. Tried 3 stores.

Update: Bought all 4 at a local store this morning (Saturday 10/30).

Last edited:
narcopolo said:
Lousy stores here sent them back. Couldn't get one. Tried 3 stores.
Looks like this will be a "short" poll. I too went back to get a few more copies, and they were ALL GONE! BB, CC, nowhere to be found.

I broke down and bought one on eBay for $14.99. Dang, should have snagged it the day it came out...

Great songs... wish the mix was more aggressive. But I can't stop listening to this disc!! an 8 from me.

Great music = 9, but the surround mix is not very good, sounds like the stereo mix with just reverb in the rears = 5. I have listened to it both in surround and in stereo, and i think i like it a little better in stereo. Anyway, quite glad i bought it, overall i rate it an 8, mostly for the music. :)
I also love that black velvet sleeve. SUPER!!

Last edited:
If the Runaways were starting out today, this would be them. The mix is not very adventuresome, But still sounds good. I really like the one called Donna.

The music is catchy and good. The DualDisc format, with the fact that the CD side is "defective" and the CD layer won't play in my CD/SACD Sony players (XA777ES and C333ES) - I have to give it a 5.

I picked up 4 of them today for $13.99 each at a local store. I'm rich. Where's my Rolls?

solaris said:
They have all been recalled never to be re released
Who says never? The guy at BB thinks they'll be back in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Now that I've played it at least 10 times, I'll give it a 9. The reasons are the music, the documentary and the packaging. Nice to see dvd-audio back in a standard size case. Not that I expect this format to be around for very long. WEA likes experimental stuff though, like CD+G. They did 10 or 15 of those. My rating is not diminished by the CD layer problem, since I couldn't care less about a CD layer.

Okay, finally snagged a copy. The music is top-notch but the surround mix is a major snore. Actually, I would consider this the worst surround mix I've heard in quite a while. I would term it three-channel stereo with reverb in the rears. Ugh. I'll stick to the stereo tracks (thank God they supplied them in hi-rez). As a surround release, I gave this one a 4.

Cai Campbell said:
Okay, finally snagged a copy. The music is top-notch but the surround mix is a major snore. Actually, I would consider this the worst surround mix I've heard in quite a while. I would term it three-channel stereo with reverb in the rears. Ugh. I'll stick to the stereo tracks (thank God they supplied them in hi-rez). As a surround release, I gave this one a 4.

This seems to be the consensus. I picked up a copy a couple of days ago ... against the warnings of the person at the CD store of its "defects". It is still sealed, so it will likely go on eBay in a few weeks to see what the lunatic fringe is paying for stuff that is out of print. Mike.

Quadzilla said:
This seems to be the consensus. I picked up a copy a couple of days ago ... against the warnings of the person at the CD store of its "defects". It is still sealed, so it will likely go on eBay in a few weeks to see what the lunatic fringe is paying for stuff that is out of print. Mike.

I got my greasy paws on a copy. CD layer refuses to work point-blank. DVD layer works. Passable music. In fact, quite good, though not what I'd normally choose to listen to. Deeply boring mix. Sound quality not great either. Oh well.

I found one on ebay for about 12 bucks, so I grabbed it. I am using my Pioneer 45 in 4.0 mode, with the center channel blended. I have quite a few sacds and some dvdas and have never had any trouble. But this disc refuses to play the center channel info through the other fronts. This is a real problem since, as Cai notes, you lose nearly all of the lead vocals. I s there a reason for this? The player is set up right and is not defaulting to a setting of 5.X. Any ideas?
Marc

Back