HiRez Poll Simple Plan - STILL NOT GETTING ANY [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Simple Plan - STILL NOT GETTING ANY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Im sorry I bought this disc. I cant even get myself to listen to the singers whiny voice for more than a minute or so. Why oh why did I buy this disc? Oh yeah... I'm an idiot!! I have seen these guys on TV a few times and every time I ask myself who the hell is buying this crap. Oh well maybe a trip to the used CD store is in order. I can't even tell you how the mix is because I can't listen to it. I will give it a 2 for the effort of putting it out.

Bob Romano said:
Im sorry I bought this disc. I cant even get myself to listen to the singers whiny voice for more than a minute or so. Why oh why did I buy this disc? Oh yeah... I'm an idiot!! I have seen these guys on TV a few times and every time I ask myself who the hell is buying this crap. Oh well maybe a trip to the used CD store is in order. I can't even tell you how the mix is because I can't listen to it. I will give it a 2 for the effort of putting it out.
I wanted to warn you guys.....but didn't wanna offend anyone that might like this doodoo. Too bad THIS didn't have a defect!
Luckly, I heard samples. It sucks the sweat from a dead man's balls.

I hate California whine
It also kept me from the DVD-A
Refused, The: Shape of Punk to Come

This release got a great review in the current Rolling Stone! I wonder what they were listening to? I still have yet to play my copy. It just slid further down the list.

JonUrban said:
This release got a great review in the current Rolling Stone! I wonder what they were listening to? I still have yet to play my copy. It just slid further down the list.
Don't forget Rolling Stone is not a relevant music mag anymore. It's PEOPLE magazine with rock stars.

daved64 said:
I wanted to warn you guys.....but didn't wanna offend anyone that might like this doodoo. Too bad THIS didn't have a defect!
Luckly, I heard samples. It sucks the sweat from a dead man's balls.

I get the feeling that you guys are holding back. Tell us how you really feel! I haven't listened to mine yet, but when I do I'll be sure to chime in.

I thought it was just me, but when i listened to the samples of this DD on the internet, I thought to myself, man this is just so average sounding {not good at all}. I'm glad i didn't rush out and buy it, in my desperation to get anything in surround. EJ & EC are too close to buy this stuff. I can see here that others seem to agree. That was a close one, if EJ & EC weren't so close i might have rushed out and bought this one. :(

If you don't like punky pop, stay away from this one. It's top-40 radio-friendly songs about feeling alienated or feeling great.

The 5.1 mix isn't quite as agressive as it could be for this fun type of music, but there is a fair amount going on in the rear channels.

If you get a salad from McDonald's, you shouldn't compare it to a fine dining restaurant. This album won't ever be mentioned in the same breath as the all-time greats, but I feel I got my money's worth with this purchase.

One question I got for this disc: if the DVD side is DVD-Audio then why doesn't it say Advanced Resolution logo or MLP logo or have some kind of DVD-Audio logo on it? On the back of the Dualdisc it had a DVD-Video logo and a Dolby Digital logo, which usually means no DVD-Audio tracks.

I've gotten burned by discs like Alan Parsons "A Valid Path" because it had a DVD-Video/Audio logo on the sticker but didn't have MLP tracks on it.

One question I got for this disc: if the DVD side is DVD-Audio then why doesn't it say Advanced Resolution logo or MLP logo or have some kind of DVD-Audio logo on it? On the back of the Dualdisc it had a DVD-Video logo and a Dolby Digital logo, which usually means no DVD-Audio tracks.

I've gotten burned by discs like Alan Parsons "A Valid Path" because it had a DVD-Video/Audio logo on the sticker but didn't have MLP tracks on it.

I can't answer as to why the label issues exist, but can say I have both discs you mention and "Still Not Getting Any" is a DVD-A DualDisc and "A Valid Path" is a DVD-V DualDisc. It is one of many problems causing the confusion associated with DVD-A. Here we are 6 years after launch and the market as a whole doesn't know what DVD-A was.

I wouldn't feel too burned by the Alan Parsons disc, I think it is very good and worth owning despite no MLP. I don't recall whether I found out it was a DVD-V before ordering it or not, but I did know it wasn't a DVD-A before opening it.

Chris

I don't think this disc is nearly so bad as some have said. It is teen pop with a light punk tinge on top. You have to like this type of poppy stuff in order to enjoy it. It all sounds basically the same, but if you like it, then that's a good thing. I'd bet that if I were 13 or 14 when this came out we all would have liked it alot. When I was that age in 1980 is when back in black came out, and i'm sure our age group then (40 somethings) wondered what that crap was with the gravelly voice, distorted guitars and pounding monotonous drum beat. Not much difference really with this situation except I doubt people will revere this record 30 years later the way back in black is revered now. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but not bad at all.

the mix is way above average with tastefull stuff going on in the rears. Not quite as good as Pink's I'm not Dead, but pretty close.

I'm glad I bought it, but i'm really getting to the stuff that was at the bottom of my list. If there wasn't so little 5.1 being released, I probably would have put off buying it--but hey, the prices of these things are right now- alot of these dual discs go for like 2 dollars used and 5 dollars new. What heck--what do have to lose? got to have something new to listed to while we wait for KC and whatever gems might pop out unexpectedly

I'd say musically the closest surround release to this it The Offspring - Greatest Hits, and this is a much better mix. The rears are surprisingly active for music with seemingly little going on. If you don't like whiny vocals, stay far far away, but otherwise, I agree with wanners above. It is really cheap and an enjoyable mix, so there's little reason not to get it. Were this only stereo, I would probably never listen to it; there are better bands with a similar sound for whenever I'm in the mood for this kind of a thing. But it's surround, so I'll probably listen to it several times throughout my life.

Now, I can't say that there's something just plain wrong with this release, but I just can't see myself to put it on ever again.

It just doesn't work for me and I've spent fortune fiddling with the bass management to get some decent sounds with no headache attached. OK, the kick drum sounds kinda cool, but that's barely it - it's the mellow stuff (Crazy or Untitled) and (electronic) intros that seem to work here. I almost tend to think that there's no point in trying to mix a pop-punk band in surround (at least after listening to this and The Offspring or Bowling For Soup DualDiscs), Didia or Rock. What can you place in the rears here, really? Some synthetic strings? Ocassional 3rd-guitar lick, backing vocals, stray cymbal? It's all in here - well, maybe after you give the rears some +3 db boost.

I'd still listened to this music genre occasionally, but I need an in-your-face wall of guitars first. And that's not here, they sound too distant and too shy.

Only for devotee(n)s - 5.

P.S. I got the CD + DVD-A version of this and the DVD-A resolution is 88.2 kHz/24 bit here.

Last edited:
I just found this in a used bargain bin for 1 dollar, so I figured what the heck. Put it on at home, quickly skipped through a couple of tracks. Pleasantly surprised to see it's DVD-A though that's not stated anywhere on the label (just says Surround). my first listening impressions: very muddy sound, no highs, some songs sound really distant. Punchy and well-defined bass though. And is it just me or does this mix not have a center channel?!

I've heard this album before and thought it was okay. Nothing groundbreaking, as you guys have said before, but decent enough. Will listen some more and come back here once I'm through.

Some of you on this page need to chill and get a life. I don't listen to this band, but my little sister used to blast it. This album is mostly for tweens ok, why are you grown adults dissing on it????? Its bubblegum pop that a lot of people like. I don't understand people who go on these pages and diss bands, have respect for other people's taste.

Have respect for other people's opinion!

Some of you on this page need to chill and get a life. I don't listen to this band, but my little sister used to blast it. This album is mostly for tweens ok, why are you grown adults dissing on it????? Its bubblegum pop that a lot of people like. I don't understand people who go on these pages and diss bands, have respect for other people's taste.

This is a surround music forum and there's really not a lot of surround music out there, so we tend to try out pretty much everything that gets released in surround, even if its not the usual kind of music we listen to.

We can't all agree on what we like, it'd be a pretty boring discussion if that was the case.

FWIW, I have this Simple Plan disc and though I can't recommend it from a surround sound point of view as the mix isn't great, I don't have a problem with the music itself.

In setting up my ranking list of all of of the multichannel music I've heard over the years on rym, I was trying to find the worst surround disc possible. In my research, I found this.

The music here is bad, next level bad. It's part of the problem of why people don't always take pop punk seriously (despite there being some good releases). I think this also might just be the most hated pop punk band, and they totally deserve it. The music here is horrible, absolutely horrible. It's Pop Punk targeted at rich teenagers trying to complain about not getting what they wanted at some store or something. The mix here absolutely sucks too. Kinda sounds like a generic upmix. Nothing even interesting in the mix. The production quality, really everything about this is just straight up horrible. The vocals suck. I haven't heard vocals this whiney in my whole life.

Also, don't take this as just some old person's opinion about music being "too loud" or some crap like that. I love punk music, just as much as any other genre. That only makes this release even worse, because there simply isn't even any comparison to a good punk disc. Calling this "punk" makes me want to vomit because it's anything but punk. I don't know why I put this much time into writing this.

I would recommend this disc as a gift for your greatest enemy.

0/10

Back