HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - KAMAKIRIAD [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Donald Fagen - KAMAKIRIAD

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
Broke down and bought this on used DVD-A as a Christmas present to me last season. I've always enjoyed this album, and absolutely love the 5.1 mix. A couple of personal observations:

1. To me, "Teahouse on the Tracks" seems a bit of filler compared to the rest. (Not that it's terrible or anything, just that the other tunes are so damn good!) Plus, it always sounded like it was sort of tacked on to the end. On the other hand, "On the Dunes" is just gorgeous, and I always thought it would've been a better choice to close the album. Solution: Switch them around! :) Now I even enjoy "Teahouse" more! Try it, you might like it too.

2. Has anyone else been startled by the extraneous subsonic noises on "Countermoon" (track 2)? I haven't bothered to check the spectrogram for this track, but it's wa-ay down there. I first hear it at 1:06, then again at 1:19, 2:05, and 2:18, plus a few other places but not as noticeable. First time I heard it, I thought my neighbor had tripped on the staircase outside my apartment! It must be on the bass guitar track, since it seems to occur at the same places in the first 2 choruses, as if Walter is inadvertently bumping the low B string or something. I never noticed this on the original CD, so I went back to check, and sure enough - it's just barely audible at 1:19 & 2:18, but you really gotta be listening for it.

Not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone else noticed this...

-- Jim (great forum, by the way)

[EDIT] P.S. OK, so technically it's not subsonic... :) Just had a look at this in CoolEdit, and there is indeed a big honkin' 28 or 29 Hz decaying sine wave happening at these points. Funny thing is, it appears strongly in the LCR, and to a lesser degree in the surrounds, but not in the LFE channel. Plus, the frequency is lower even than low 'B' on a 5-string bass, so it ain't that (Besides, I'm starting to think this is synth bass on this track anyway.) Hmm...

Has anyone else been startled by the extraneous subsonic noises on "Countermoon" (track 2)? I haven't bothered to check the spectrogram for this track, but it's wa-ay down there. I first hear it at 1:06, then again at 1:19, 2:05, and 2:18, plus a few other places but not as noticeable. First time I heard it, I thought my neighbor had tripped on the staircase outside my apartment! It must be on the bass guitar track, since it seems to occur at the same places in the first 2 choruses, as if Walter is inadvertently bumping the low B string or something. I never noticed this on the original CD, so I went back to check, and sure enough - it's just barely audible at 1:19 & 2:18, but you really gotta be listening for it.

[EDIT] P.S. OK, so technically it's not subsonic... :) Just had a look at this in CoolEdit, and there is indeed a big honkin' 28 or 29 Hz decaying sine wave happening at these points. Funny thing is, it appears strongly in the LCR, and to a lesser degree in the surrounds, but not in the LFE channel. Plus, the frequency is lower even than low 'B' on a 5-string bass, so it ain't that (Besides, I'm starting to think this is synth bass on this track anyway.) Hmm...

Hi Jim,

Yes, I can hear something at the low end at these times. Love your analogy. :friday:

And as you said, it's not a big deal but something is up (down? ;)).

At any rate, this is a phenomenal surround mix. WOW! It was worth the wait! :51banana:

Last edited:
It's finally time to vote on this one- I had a digital version for a while before I finally graduated to my own official physical copy a few weeks ago (around $40).

Like some other voters upthread, this is my favorite of the 3 Fagen discs. The concept is so cool, the tunes are catchy ("Countermoon" and "Tomorrow's Girls" are my favorites), and of course the mix by ES is impeccable.

Some of the songs are admittedly a bit weak/monotonous, but I'm gonna give it the 10 anyway. The DVD-A presentation is just about perfect, and the album is such a grower. I highly doubt I would've given this a shot in stereo.

Last edited:
Gotta give this one a “10”. More of a 9.5 since it’s not my favorite Fagen album, but it’s very good. And even better in 5.1.

I don’t have the DVD—-I have the Trilogy box set—but it sounds amazing. Is the quality better on the DVD? That must be out of this world if so.

Mixes like this is why I love surround music so much.

Wonderful sound, but the tunes aren't (IMHO, of course) up to the standard on "Nightfly" never mind the Steely Dan stuff. When I listen to this I end up sadly thinking how wonderful it would be if "Aja" got this treatment.
Apples and oranges... DF was still good, but that was why they both were STEELY DAN..
as it is, it's a great album...

Broke down and bought this on used DVD-A as a Christmas present to me last season. I've always enjoyed this album, and absolutely love the 5.1 mix. A couple of personal observations:

1. To me, "Teahouse on the Tracks" seems a bit of filler compared to the rest. (Not that it's terrible or anything, just that the other tunes are so damn good!) Plus, it always sounded like it was sort of tacked on to the end. On the other hand, "On the Dunes" is just gorgeous, and I always thought it would've been a better choice to close the album. Solution: Switch them around! :) Now I even enjoy "Teahouse" more! Try it, you might like it too.

2. Has anyone else been startled by the extraneous subsonic noises on "Countermoon" (track 2)? I haven't bothered to check the spectrogram for this track, but it's wa-ay down there. I first hear it at 1:06, then again at 1:19, 2:05, and 2:18, plus a few other places but not as noticeable. First time I heard it, I thought my neighbor had tripped on the staircase outside my apartment! It must be on the bass guitar track, since it seems to occur at the same places in the first 2 choruses, as if Walter is inadvertently bumping the low B string or something. I never noticed this on the original CD, so I went back to check, and sure enough - it's just barely audible at 1:19 & 2:18, but you really gotta be listening for it.

Speaking of “Subsonic”... what’s going on in “Springtime “? If that’s not subsonic, I don’t know what is!!?? 😎

Not to mention that the two 6 votes are from the same person???

Yeah, Pup mentioned that. I'm a metalhead but also a nerd for music that sounds good and for that reason I got into Donald Fagen and Spyro Gyra to name a few so maybe it's just me but if you don't like the music or even hate it, don't vote. A number less than 8 is just bullshit in my opinion, this is a fantastic sounding disc, even on my far from highend Logitech z5500.

Pup beat me to it :cool:.

Back