HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - KAMAKIRIAD [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Donald Fagen - KAMAKIRIAD

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
Kamikiriad takes a few spins to get into. There are indeed some songs that tend to get tedious, but on the whole the better songs make up for the others. I remember thinking "Snowbound" was a dud the first time I heard it, then I got to where I liked it and cranked it up. The only tune I don't listen to these days is "Tea House on the Tracks".

I wasn't too keen on it at first, probably because I was expecting something else.
It was a bit catchy and after a few spins I found it highly enjoyable.
(I think I expected a half a Steely Dan album, if you know what I mean.)
It gets catchier as you play it. It's great thinking man's jazz-rock,
excellently recorded and his voice sounds as great as it always has.

I give it a 9!

-B

must agree with the fact the more you listen to this stuff, ( fagen) the more you appreciate and enjoy it. It seems like a while ago I bought this disc, and never put it in until recently and I was really taken by it. In the lyrics menu the wiper goes with page changes, and the dashboard song menus, to the videos of snowbound and tomorrows girls, but the real treat is the whole album itself.

Finally got this one. Paid a premium price on ebay but it was worth it. Have only listened to the first two songs so far, but it has exceeded my high expectations.
The mix and clairity is great!

Finally got this one. Paid a premium price on ebay but it was worth it. Have only listened to the first two songs so far, but it has exceeded my high expectations.
The mix and clairity is great!

I always liked the mix on this album. Very well thought out and production values are high.

Classic clean Fagen/Steely Dan sound which is even better in 5.1....

I wish AJA would be released in 5.1 with a Elliot mix.

This album really opened up for me in 5.1 - thought the CD was more than OK, but this version is the one to listen to. Much more nuanace and layering is evident on the surround mix. Still think the snare drum(s) sound tiny (not tinny), though.

If you have a good playback system, listen to the first two minutes of "Snowbound" and if you're not totally blown away, well, why bother with an audio system.

Its an "8".
At least half of the tracks (particularly "Snowbound", "Florida Room" and "Tomorrows Girls") are superb and I play them ALL the time, even to this day, the rest I could take or leave.

One or two songs are slaves to slightly wonky/outdated production and sounds or to the albums' concept.. but I can enjoy them beyond that.

Still, as a whole it sounds heavenly and the mix is superb.

Ultimately I do prefer The Nightfly and Morph the Cat but that isn't damning Kamakiriad with faint praise as all of the Nightfly Trilogy are stunners, i think Donald Fagen's a musical genius and Nightfly and Morph are among my all-time favourite albums!

Its an "8".
At least half of the tracks (particularly "Snowbound", "Florida Room" and "Tomorrows Girls") are superb and I play them ALL the time, even to this day, the rest I could take or leave.

One or two songs are slaves to slightly wonky/outdated production and sounds or to the albums' concept.. but I can enjoy them beyond that.

Still, as a whole it sounds heavenly and the mix is superb.

Ultimately I do prefer The Nightfly and Morph the Cat but that isn't damning Kamakiriad with faint praise as all of the Nightfly Trilogy are stunners, i think Donald Fagen's a musical genius and Nightfly and Morph are among my all-time favourite albums!

give it a chance yet! listen to teahouse on the tracks, the imaging is teriffic.

Must be a testament to the arrangement, lyrics, or combination of both, but "Snowbound" is one of those "go to" songs for me that always seems to get played first when it's time to fill the house or car with music. Especially in the car in 5.1. Overall, an excellent album worth of it's Grammy nomination.

Great sounding disc with perfect 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner. Over the years this album has grown on me but I've never found it to be quite A-list material. Fagen gave interviews at the time stating that he had essentially shifted his approach and interest - from melody to groove. That seems to be the case. It has some tasty space-age funky grooves but fewer interesting melodic and harmonic twists so characteristic of early Steely Dan. Still, there are plenty of great moments and the mix and arrangements are terrific. And the unifying theme of a journey in the futuristic steam-driven Kamakiri is pretty cool. A 9 for me.

(Is there gas in the car? Evidently not!)

This is my hands down favorite of his , including SD stuff...the concept, the grooves and on top of that A SURROUND MIX that is mouthwatering!!!
I always play this when on the road...I played it last week on our Ireland holiday...marvellous!!!!

This was my first Donald Fagen solo album which I bought when it was initially released, and now I've finally got it on DVD-A via ebay (and not cheap!). Fantastic. Great sound quality, Discrete mix, Nice video extras, and a tasty "Steely Dan"-ish groove from start to finish. So happy to finally have this in surround. a 9.

Back