HiRez Poll Police, The - EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE (THE CLASSICS) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Police - EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE

• Total voters
Could/should have been a lot better. Some of the best songs but the first 3 tracks are a write off. It does get better, Every Breath You Take stands out but.... C’mon Gordon - regroup, remix and re-release! 7 for me..,

I was never a huge fan of the band. Always enjoyed their popular singles, but just not that much into the 'deeper cuts'. So this was a no-brainer for me. Greatest hits in 5.1 and on SACD to boot.

A couple years back, a friend of mine gave me a 5.1 .wav file of this disc. It was a pain to listen to since it had no tracking, but it sounded great. So when I stumbled on the SACD on Discogs for $30, I grabbed it.

I think the mix is much better than some of the previous reviews. It's a very balanced mix of the low-mid's to highs, and while not remarkably aggressive/playful, the surround mix is very pleasant. It's especially nice on tracks like Walking on the Moon and Roxanne. I gave it a 9.

As I wrote on another post, I am relistening to all my MCH discs to see if any vote change is in order. This one gets a boost from 6 to 7. I appreciate the subtlety of the instrument selection in each speaker. The bass is prominent throughout. Lots of interesting sounds that got lost in the stereo release.Heck, I think I will give it an 8.

Last edited:
I was going to give it an 8, but decided on a 9 when I remembered 24-96 Mastering's scathing review and then listening to my copy and liking the mix. It strikes me that there are no rules except that you like the result. This strikes me as an engineer telling the musician what they should play or in this case the person mastering the SACD.

This is one where I never could understand its getting so little love. The fidelity is really good and the mix can be corrected by juicing up the surrounds a couple of dB where necessary. I listened to the song Every Breath You Take last night and found that boosting the surround 2dB did the trick. Anyway, love it it hate it I’m glad it’s out there.

My problem with this disc is that surround mix is uneven between songs. There are some songs that are really good (ie Wrapped Around Your Finger) and many that are just 'ok'.

On a whole, when I compare this disc with another album that I've rated a 10 or 9, this one falls short.

I'm sticking with a 7.

Back