HiRez Poll Police, The - EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE (THE CLASSICS) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Police - EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE

• Total voters
Tracks:
[SIZE=-1]1. Roxanne
2. Can't Stand Losing You
3. Message in a Bottle
4. Walking on the Moon
5. Don't Stand So Close to Me
6. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
7. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
8. Invisible Sun
9. Spirits in the Material World
10. Every Breath You Take
11. King of Pain
12. Wrapped Around Your Finger
13. Don't Stand so close to me '86
14. Message in a bottle (new classic rock mix)[/SIZE]

The first 4 are bright: Sting's early voice in hi-rez is not pleasing to the ear. [SIZE=-1] De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da is an alternate slower version - why? - the original is a gem but is not on here.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Don't Stand so close to me '86 (track 13) is another slow version - man I hate slow versions. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Message in a bottle (new classic rock mix) (track 14) - well if it's a new mix it sure had me fooled - sounds just like the original to me[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] (thankfully it's included here).[/SIZE]

The rest are good (7 tracks). Overall the mix is fine - a bit light in the rears but still qualifies as surround to me. The fidelity is good except for the brightness as stated. I got it for under $20 so I'm okay with it but I wouldn't pay more than that.

Edit: about the brightness - Tracks 2 and 3 are not too bad but I find Sting's voice on 1 and 4 annoyingly bright.

Last edited:
6. 9 for the music. Some mixes were zeros :yikes, others perhaps 8 or 9. I had this SACD previously on the DTS CD, which I got rid off after acquiring the SACD. A missed opportunity on many levels. Still, a MUST for any Police and/or 5.1 fan.

6. 9 for the music. Some mixes were zeros :yikes, others perhaps 8 or 9. I had this SACD previously on the DTS CD, which I got rid off after acquiring the SACD. A missed opportunity on many levels. Still, a MUST for any Police and/or 5.1 fan.

I have the SACD but do not own or ever heard the DTS-CD. Is it that bad that you got rid of it? How is the mix compared to the SACD?

After checking, here is another disc that I have not voted on. I need to re-listen to it today and then cast my vote. :)

That's right Linda. I was a Police fan when they came out and that's probably why I'm gad I got this in spite of the flaws. The Zenyatta Mondatta Audiophile Edition LP was my very first venture into "high-rez" back in the day.

I just had a listened to this SACD and have to say the cymbals sounded great but bass and kick drum on some of the tracks sounded anemic. I have the cardboard digipak version. Not sure how they came up with the track selection. To me, every song they did is a classic but they could have omitted "Wrapped Around Your Finger and used Synchronicity II instead. Plus, they could have added a few more for this release. Overall, a solid 8 for me. :)

No, IMHO, the DTS CD wasn't significantly worse than the SACD. Since I was able to trade the DTS CD in for $20 credit and the SACD cost me $10 asa new release, it made sense to unload the DTS.

Even a few years ago, I had virtually unlimited trade and discount privileges at several record stores (remember those?) If I didn't like something or a better version came out, I would get full credit on the old one. And then there was the 20 sealed Simon & Garfunkel 3 CD Complete Works sets that I got for $15 each and got $50 credit for each one. My record store and record company friends gifted me lots of promos, discounts and trades over the years, just as I did for them with gear, accessories and promo t-shirts. Reciprocity! I miss those days.

I have the SACD but do not own or ever heard the DTS-CD. Is it that bad that you got rid of it? How is the mix compared to the SACD?

Which release came first? I'm not keen on the mixes in general on the SACD.

Haha! Of course you'd know! Thanks.

you're welcome :)

despite the inconsistent surround on it, I rather like this collection.. fwiw (I've never compared the DTS with the SACD & DVD.. something to do over Xmas maybe) the DVD seems the obvious smart money choice, you get the extras and something to look at :eek: ..iirc the DTS CD was the hardest to find for ok money back when I was actively looking for this stuff.

you're welcome :)

despite the inconsistent surround on it, I rather like this collection.. fwiw (I've never compared the DTS with the SACD & DVD.. something to do over Xmas maybe) the DVD seems the obvious smart money choice, you get the extras and something to look at :eek: ..iirc the DTS CD was the hardest to find for ok money back when I was actively looking for this stuff.

(American culture -TV reference.."Jeopardy"..I know they have the same program in France too)

"Alex, I'll go for $400 for the 'It's the same mix' category"

Yeah, I only have the DVD---

Gave it a 7. The mix is good but a DTS just does not have depth, kind of tinny if you know what I mean, but I am having a pop rock Friday.

Back