HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - SLOWHAND [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Eric Clapton - SLOWHAND

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-1528276-1248980990.jpeg.jpg

R-1528276-1248981002.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This mix gets a '9' from me...very open, discrete mix, and while it's not very playful or inventive, that's not least due to the subdued, measure performances. Very pleasant, but Clapton in this period wasn't breaking his nads to go crazy as a performer in the studio. Very laid-back sort of stuff, and the album always felt incomplete to me: 9 tracks, but most of it really goes nowhere. Something I'd have expected more from Steve Miller than ol' Slowhand. ;)

That said, highly enjoyable on its own terms!

ED:)

I like this surround mix much better than "Layla". I admit that it's not really a fair comparison since they were mixed by different engineers. Glyn Johns did a good job on this one. Fairly "warm" sonics---certainly not a "bright" mix. My only complaint is that the main rhythm guitars on "Cocaine" (located in the rears) could be a trifle louder. Just one man's opinion. ;)

Music a 9, surround mix 8, overall i give it an 8. Enjoyable, but not much really stands out.

I'm only a minor fan of Clapton Slowhand, I have heard so much of this title as classic rock. The mix did bring songs I have heard too much, back to life.

The first 4 songs on this disc are real strong, I can live without the rest. Great sound, nice mixes, but it would have been nice if the background singers stayed in the background. I give it an 8.

kumquad

An 8 from me.
There is something about the mix I don't like, and I cannot put my fingers on what it is.
It may be the old tapes - sonically, it's quite muddy in places, but then again it always was a little dull-sounding.
Maybe it's a grower.....I will have to play it a few more times to know for sure. The bits I do like are very good though - there seem to be parts here that are either turned right down on the stereo vinyl, or just not used at all.

Interesting how it went almost two years without a post and poof three posts within one day. I'll give it a 6. Not bad but it just doesn't excite me.

Listening to it now...on "Mean old Frisco" now---

A solid 8 for me , both for Music and Mix..

It IS "SLOWHAND", so the mix is corresponding, a bit lazy, but the music here is a bit lazy too...active enough in the rears....

I must admit that , I'm not very fond of guitar "heroes" (Fripp is a MASTER, so it's a separate category), but I always have had a soft spot for Eric...I got MOST of his Surround SACDs/ DTS CDs/DVD-As..I think I'm missing "Reptile"...

Listening to this again for the first time in ages.. and I stick by my "8" rating I gave it on here a few years ago.

Not a barnstorming album and the mix reflects that, it's discrete with plenty of rear info and EC's voice is gorgeous in the centre but its all suitably subtle and downplayed, no pyrotechnics.

not to damn this one with faint praise.. but when I'm in the mood for some surround EC I still prefer just about everything else over this.. mostly because his other albums mixed in surround have some of the most wonderful mixes going (461 OB SACD, There's 1 in Every Crowd DTS CD, Reptile/Back Home/Ridin' With The King DVDA's are all amazing!) but this is still worth checking out if you don't have it (and looking around its still cheap & plentiful). "8" carries its weight. (y)

First time listening to it and I think it's great. It is what it is anddone well. I trust I will be spinning this one on a regular basis. Will be giving it a 9. Like the music, the mix...

Back