HiRez Poll John, Elton - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of Elton John - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)
Originally released as a Multichannel SACD in 2004, the 5.1 surround mix is also now available as part of a 50th anniversary 3CD/Blu-Ray edition, released in June 2022.

SACD scans:
R-2061099-1261876565.jpeg.jpg

R-2061099-1381890642-9619.jpeg.jpg

50th anniversary 3CD/Blu-Ray edition packshot:
91IhZKPAJHL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JonUrban said:
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Do you have this yet Jon? What are your thoughts as I definately want this one.

Barry

Not yet, although Larry Geller has posted a fairly glowing quick take on the title cut over at SH. Stay tuned!

A '9'....great mixes throughout, the songs start out gangbusters, but the quality level doesn't last...even so, with Buckmaster's strings nicely separated, hard to bitch about this one!

ED:)

SUPER !!! I gave the surround mix a definate 10 and the music a 9, over all i gotta go with 10, a must have. :sun

Yet another fine mix, for the most part. The only track that doesn't quite work for me in surround is "Levon". Maybe I'm just accustomed to the stereo version, but the drums seem a little too clear and punchy. This doesn't sound like a bad thing at face value, but if you listen to the stereo mix of this song, you'll notice how subtly the drums were originally mixed. This may have been done for good reason, as the drumming---in my opinion---is the weakest part of this song. In fact when I first heard the surround version, the drum performance made me think I was listening to a different take compared to the stereo (a quick A/B comparison proved me wrong). While I felt the drums could have been attenuated a bit, I also felt the strings could've been brought up a bit and possibly assigned to a more upfront location in the mix. Relegating the strings to the rear speakers seems to have taken the focus off of them. And to me, the strings should be the focus. I feel they give this song most of its character---especially at the end of the song.

That said, I'm still amazed at how consistent Greg Penney has been in achieving good surround mixes overall :D !!

In Mr. Penney, it seems we clearly have someone who understands the emotional pull of surround audio. This even brought a smile to my wife, who’s more often known for her raised eyebrows when it comes to my aural adventures. As far as the album itself, it’s my favorite from EJ’s early years. For me, this is forty minutes of heaven. ‘Nuff said.

After listening to all of the EJ surround-sound SACDs, I can say that unequivocally, "Madman Across The Water" is my very favorite. All aspects of the title are superb. The surround mix is discrete, well-balanced, and is artfully consistent from start to finish. A 10 all the way!

I agree with Cai on this one. 'Madman' is the best of his "singer-songwriter" albums even though it didn't really light up the charts upon its release, and the mix is terrific. A must-own for those who dig the pre-flamboyant Elton. I love it: A 10.

Another great surround release from Elton. Indian Sunset is brilliant. Another one of those songs that really impressed me more in surround.

KW

Indian sunset and madman across the water are my favourites on this.

I just wish every remix engineer would do 5.1 surround mix like this.

I'll never play any of my early elton john lp's again after listening to this sacd series..
all are amazing.

This has probably been the most listened to album of the Elton John SACD series for me. The whole album sounds great from start to finish and the mix is great.

'Tiny Dancer' in MultiChannel is superb. I've heard this song many times and can't imagine hearing it better in any other form than what is presented here. It really is fantastic!

9/10 (y)

I just received this SACD and agree it is excellent. The original release in the 70's was not of much interest to me and other than the hits that showed up on compilations, I hadn't listened to much of it. All of the Elton John SACD's I have are very good.

Chris

What a wonderful remix and remaster of a great album by EJ. How many times I must have listened to this album thru the years on vinyl, CD, remastered stereo CD and even prerecorded R to R tape (yep, still have it) and hearing this new production moved me as only the best music and fidelity can. What a wonderful effort. The hoi-poloi can keep their MP3's...I for one am reveling in the opportunity to hear such classic efforts as this reproduced as well as this is. Highly recommended!

This one is a bonafide 10! Of all the EJ titles this is the best overall (content, mix, sonics). Indian Sunset is a demo track for any "old" EJ fan. Holiday Inn is fantastic (mandolins in surround!)! And it is an added bonus to get a longer version of Razor Face. This is desert island material here.

Really great mix. All of the Elton John titles are well mixed, but this one has the best material, especially the classics from side 1.

I found this one much better than Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I might have to get some of the other EJ 5.1 mixes...:banana:

Back