HiRez Poll John, Elton - TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Elton John - TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-1276362-1261877313.jpeg.jpg

R-1276362-1457186676-4975.jpeg.jpg
s

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear. I'll get this out the way quickly: if you like EJ, then buy away (probably). The packaging is first rate, the DSD transfer is superb, and the mix is creative.
But I don't like EJ. The most middle-of the road artist in history to my ears. Boring.

Scottmoose said:
Oh dear. I'll get this out the way quickly: if you like EJ, then buy away (probably). The packaging is first rate, the DSD transfer is superb, and the mix is creative.
But I don't like EJ. The most middle-of the road artist in history to my ears. Boring.
Sorry if this is a dumb question....then why did you buy it? :confused:

A '10'....very vivid sound, and this is hardly middle of the road stuff all the way....Paul Buckmaster's string arrangements take care of that!

This is also one of the lad's most consistent albums as well....fine songs from first to last, and the first of his obsessions with Americana....

This will definitely receive regular 5.1 play in the years to come!

ED:)

Reactions: GOS
SUPER !!! I gave the surround mix a definate 10 and the music a 9, over all i gotta go with 10, a must have. :sun

Scottmoose said:
I bought it out of interest. And the fact that there's been little on the SACD front that I have a vast interest in recently sadly. We live in desparate times.
How do you guys think I wound up with Britney's IN THE ZONE? :D Desparate times, indeed!:eek::banana:

It is stupid fun(not something I'd make a habit of, but that's true of Metallica, too), Jon, remember that when you post the inevitable poll for that one, K? :alienrob:

Ed Bishop said:
How do you guys think I wound up with Britney's IN THE ZONE? :D Desparate times, indeed!:eek::banana:

It is stupid fun(not something I'd make a habit of, but that's true of Metallica, too), Jon, remember that when you post the inevitable poll for that one, K? :alienrob:

Well, the last "out of interest" one I got was Crystal Method....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have the album but never listened to it much. I'm sure I'll listen to it more often now. Yet another great surround mix by G.P.

Awesome psychedelic mix of the bonus cut: "Madman Across the Water" (original Version) :smokin

Ed Bishop said:

I haven't got to that stage yet, but I now understand!

Exceptional! If you're going to pick up one Elton John SACD just out of curiosity, I would pick a different one than "Tumbleweed Connection". It is much more subdued than Elton's other efforts of the period. Still, in my mind, it is a master work. The surround mix is right up there with the rest of them. I gave it 9 points.

Scottmoose said:
Scott,

If "The packaging is first rate, the DSD transfer is superb, and the mix is creative." then the proper use of the poll would be to rate it higher than a 1. A 1 should be reserved for a totally useless disc, something that has no surround or any production value at all. If you truely hate the disc on all fronts, no matter how popular it might be, or how wonderful anyone else thinks it is, then a "1" is a goer, but if it is only a matter of the music boring you yet the disc itself is well done, then how about a "4" or something.

I guess everything is subjective, however.

:-j:mad:@: n

A '1' rating seems to miss the point of the poll, which is to factor in mix and sonics as much as possible. Although I have bought certain discs either out of curiosity or boredom(note the above!), I stick to the mix and sound, and assume, going in, that anyone who's not a fan will understand where I'm coming from.

However, to label Sir Elton "the most middle-of-the-road artist in history(to my ears)", seems to miss the point, since that opinion is supposed to come from your brain, not your ears, heh....:D And having collected music for over 40 years, I can safely say that there are far more tedious, less ambitious soft rock acts that EJ(Michael Bolton and Kenny G, anyone? Barry Manilow? latter-day Neil Diamond?), though I do believe the quality of his work underwent a steady decline, beginning in the late '70s.

ED :)

quot-bot-left.gif

Well I broke down and bought the rest of the EJ SACD's. Of all of them this is definately my "new" favourite of all of EJ's albums. I never paid much attention to this when it originally came out. But now I am giving this one a 9. Musically this must be the best/consistent thing he has done of all his albums and tracks like "Love Song" (though sounding decidedly digital) for instance sounds incredible in surround. You can also crank this disc. I have not listened to "Honky Chateau" or "Elton John" yet but this is my favourite of all the other EJ SACD's so far.

John the Depot Dude said:
That bonus 9 minute original version of Madman was a real treat particularily the surround mix..

Just finally got around to listening to the 'original' Madman and have to say that it's incredible. I like it more than the one we've heard for all these years. The best bonus song I've heard on any disc. Can't believe that when they recorded it, someone didn't think it worthy to put on the album.
This was an album I never owned and I really enjoy it. Like all the other EJ discs, they did a great job on the surround presentation. I'll give it a strong 9.

KW

Scottmoose said:
The packaging is first rate, the DSD transfer is superb, and the mix is creative.
And yet another 1 rating.....Sorry Scott but stuff like this really cripples your credibility rating on any of your posts.

I like the melodies on this one and the bonus is a treat. A 9 cause Yellow Brick Road is better :)

Just finally got around to listening to the 'original' Madman and have to say that it's incredible. I like it more than the one we've heard for all these years. The best bonus song I've heard on any disc. Can't believe that when they recorded it, someone didn't think it worthy to put on the album.

Actually, the only reason it was left off the original album was because of time constraints. They couldn't fit it on to the LP.

I voted a 10.

I have all of the Elton John SACDs, and this one is easily my favorite.

The music is first rate, the sound quality is exceptional, and the surround mix... Well, it's one of the best I've ever heard.

The redbook layer is a bit squashed to my ears, but most of us here probably don't care about that anyway! (haha.) The CD Text is a nice touch though.

Back