HiRez Poll Roxy Music - AVALON [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Roxy Music - AVALON

• Total voters
I've listened to this one a couple of times and nothing really jumps out at me, music wise or surround mix wise.

It's okay. I'm not sorry I bought it. But I personally would look for other disks before trying to add this one to my collection. I certainly wouldn't over pay for this one.

(I haven't voted yet... I'll do that after another listen or two.)

I've listened to this one a couple of times and nothing really jumps out at me, music wise or surround mix wise.

It's okay. I'm not sorry I bought it. But I personally would look for other disks before trying to add this one to my collection. I certainly wouldn't over pay for this one.

Hi Dylan ,

I understand your point of view- here's why; (WARNING: It'll probably sound condescending); wait till you're past 35 years old and listen to it ...maybe you'll appreciate it then...:):):)

Don't know what it is, or if fellow Qheads will agree, but this kind of music I used to find bo-o-ring when I was younger- especially when the WHOLE LP/CD/SACD is in the same style...

I could be wrong too and you'll just dislike it even more later in life :confused::confused::confused: ya never know...

Peace,

G

Surprising. It's a surround showcase.

I do have a similar feeling for the Bryan Ferry SACD though. Musically it does nothing for me and I find the EQ a bit harsh.

I've never been really cared for Roxy Music or Brian Ferry and I'm (unfortunately) well past the 35 mark. I dream of what Roxy Music would have been like if Brian Eno took control of the band. That would have been cool...

Be that as it may, the Avalon SACD is okay. The surround mix may be good but I wouldn't call it a showcase mix (but if you're a fan, maybe it is a showcase). I give it seven points, but that's more for the musical content than the mix.

10. This music is SO DAMN GOOD!

When you Bossa Nova, there's no holding...

3052035864_65ac594216_n.jpg

I got to hear this at the Sony presentation at AES at the Javit's Center in NYC, before this was released and just as the SACD vs DVD Audio war was just heating up. I had yet to invest in a surround system but this was certainly a major factor in my getting a move on in the right direction.

I snatched up "Boys and Girls" just after it went out of print, and managed to get one of the last copies at a decent price - 30 bucks plus shipping. Mint condition, too. Right after, prices shot up to ridiculous. Wasn't as lucky with Avalon (though still lucky - 68 bucks). They're both at the top of my list, too.

Just managed to pick this one up, I've actually never heard the album but you lot raving about it convinced me I should have it. The price was a lot better than anything I could find on Amazon or eBay either... :)

Definitely a 9/10 for me. Enjoyed listening to Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry back in the 80s/90s. A new appreciation for the music in surround. Especially like the intro to "Take a Chance with Me" in 5.1 on this disc.

Still a beautiful album...been wanting this one since I got an SACD player.... true I only gave it a 9, hopefully not unfairly, I think they could have been more creative with the vocal tracks...now all I need is a reasonable price for Boys And Girls and I will die a happy man..

yeah the old YMMV routine! ;) personally I rate it right up there with Avalon and Boys & Girls, all 3 are essential for rock & pop loving quaddies, imho :eek: there's a cool quad-esque bit in Frantic (beginning of "Hiroshima") where walking footsteps walk round the room from rear left to rear right to front right.. quadtastic! great stuff! a number of tracks have very discrete separation (ja nuns hon pris and One way love both do that lovely trick of starting only in either front or rear and then kicking in to blast out in the other direction). Demo-worthy.

Just gorgeous. My least favorite Roxy album - but it has grown on me over the years. And the 5.1 is entrancing to my ears. Clarity, weight, enveloping sound, and subtle separation. Love it!

Back