HiRez Poll Eagles - HOTEL CALIFORNIA [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Eagles - HOTEL CALIFORNIA

• Total voters
If you own both, any specific way we should vote? Perhaps a poll for the SACD and one for the DVD-A?

The DVD-A is slightly brighter and the SACD is slightly warmer, but both are immensely enjoyable. It is nice to play the SACD (I've listened twice) without having to deal with menus.

I would give each format an 8. Rock n Roll the way it should be listened to, in high resolution!

I thought the audio was exactly the same? Could the difference you hear be a result of your systems playback differences between sacds dad and DVD-a PCM?

It would add confusion, IMHO, to have 2 polls. There are not 2 polls for Tommy or gbybr.

I thought the audio was exactly the same? Could the difference you hear be a result of your systems playback differences between sacds dad and DVD-a PCM?
It always makes me wonder when I see the statement that the sacd and the dvd-audio sound the same for a particular title. Even if everything else about the recording is identical, it's still 2 different methods of sound reproduction. There is bound to be some difference.

It always makes me wonder when I see the statement that the sacd and the dvd-audio sound the same for a particular title. Even if everything else about the recording is identical, it's still 2 different methods of sound reproduction. There is bound to be some difference.

I agree. There most certainly is a slight difference. I have the titles on DVD-A and now on SACD and my statement holds true that all of them have a slightly warmer sound on the SACD format. Both formats sound great to my ears, but the formats have an inherent sound quality that makes each unique. If you can afford to, pick up the 10 SACD titles. The folks in Japan did a very good job on these titles that were formerly released on
DVD-A about 10 years ago.

There may be a slight difference in the sound of formats, just as you might find differences between two CD or vinyl masterings from the same source. That said, when dealing with what are, admittedly, subtle differences at best, one can also rationalize those differences due to hardware, or even the mastering itself. As we know from experience, with titles you are very fond of and familiar with, the more pressings in any format you own, the more likely you are to catch the nuances, notice the improvements and deficiencies, and generally, in the process become an obsessive, anal audiophile.

Not counting myself, o' course...;)

ED :)

Album-7/10, Sound-10/10, Mix-8/10 - So overall 8/10

A superb example of how to take an old classic and breath new life into it. It's a 9 rather than a 10 imho since the best sounding tracks (Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane) are superbly well done and although very good several of the others don't quite hit the same standard. But I'm being picky; it's exceedingly well done and a pleasure to listen to in this format.

Just ordered the Japanese SACD of this album from amazon!
Can't wait to give it a spin & vote when it arrives next week! :)

A superb example of how to take an old classic and breath new life into it. It's a 9 rather than a 10 imho since the best sounding tracks (Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane) are superbly well done and although very good several of the others don't quite hit the same standard. But I'm being picky; it's exceedingly well done and a pleasure to listen to in this format.
I get what you are saying. I only ever play the first 3 tracks (New Kid in Town is great too) whenever I play this disc. I can't get into the rest of the songs at all.

I get what you are saying. I only ever play the first 3 tracks (New Kid in Town is great too) whenever I play this disc. I can't get into the rest of the songs at all.

Hmm, while I still enjoy the whole album from time to time, I'm getting tired of the first 3. My favorite songs are 7. "Pretty Maids All In A Row" by Joe Walsh and 8. "Try and Love Again" by Randy Meisner.

Hmm, while I still enjoy the whole album from time to time, I'm getting tired of the first 3. My favorite songs are 7. "Pretty Maids All In A Row" by Joe Walsh and 8. "Try and Love Again" by Randy Meisner.

I agree. I usually skip the first 3 tracks on this one, almost every time. Same with the BIA disc, first three skip, then listen to the rest of the tunes in glorious surround. (Not because they aren't great of course, but because they've been burned out in my failing brain cells)

You know that great period after you upgrade some equipment and you go back and re-listen to pretty much everything you own in surround? Seems this got missed when I upgraded my amp and I'm letting the SACD and DVDA duke it out as the day finally begins to cool a little and the pale sun begins to dip behind the hazy London skyline. I can't think of a better album to fit the view from my window.

Jon and others are dead right about the first three track fatigue - trying both back to back was the only way I could settle into the comparison. Despite the overkill surrounding the material all three tracks still drive the surround field with a confidence and placement that marries to the material perfectly. Yes, there is age showing on the tapes but to my ears it's in the mellow warmth and grizzle to the mids and I really like that tone a lot. It's really minor though and no-one should get hung up about it for too long. The differences between the two formats lie mainly in the levels. The SACD is a tad louder and with that loudness comes a warmth that I've seldom found in SACDs. But the DVDA is quieter and seems to just be a little more in focus than it's Japanese mastered counterpart. It really is nit picking though, either works beautifully for the opening three for those occasions you bust them out for guests.

After the cocaine engineered thrust and precision of the first three, it's a real pleasure to move into a more considered and sedate run of songs. The sound field is driven differently here, much more discrete emphasis on spreading the orchestration and harmonies around. Delicate pianos are totally exposed whilst close mic'd vocals carry a dryness that just might wet your eye. Great swells bloom around as the layers of the mix cascade and soar. Again each format delivers a full and rewarding listening experience, but here the SACD maybe carries a tiny bit more detail in those powerful mids. Maybe.

10.10 till we do it again.

I dragged this disc into the car today out of sheer music boredom. Of course, I started with Track 4 (Wasted Time), as I no longer can sit through the first 3 tracks due to brain cell saturation.

I was quite disappointed actually listening to this disc after 6 or so years of not playing it. It may be because I've been spoiled by the amazing 5.1 mixes we've been getting lately, but at times I was concerned that I had somehow queued up the stereo track. Only when "Try And Love Again" played, with the diagonally opposed guitars battling each other from their own speaker was I satisfied that this was indeed the 5.1 mix.

I originally voted an 8, but today I would vote a 6.

It's always interesting to go back and listen to a disc after a long vacation from it, to see if it lives up to the original "everythings a 10 when it first comes out" excitement. This one did not.

I heard the mp3 of "The Last Resort" through my iPod in my car tonight, and thought, "Man, what's up with those cymbals? They sound like crap! I'm glad I have a high-resolution copy at home."

So tonight I played the 96/24 5.1 layer of my DVDA, and the cymbals on "The Last Resort" still sound like crap! What is up with THAT???

51Z7oZKQo8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1365351642_front.jpg

I gave the Japanese SACD a go this morning for the first time. The things that stood out the most were the amount of detail revealed and the increased bass level. The soundfield is very open with a great separation of instruments that allow you to hear things in the mix that were buried in the stereo mix. Some things are pulled up in the mix that give a new sound to familiar old favorites. On the bass, it seems that the level is higher than I remember but not in a bad way. The bass is just a little higher in level than the disks I've been listening to lately. My sub is connected to the front preouts due to a problem with the sub out on my Yamaha so that could be part of it. I like it, I just wasn't expecting it. The mix is not gimmicky and holds it own considering it was done many years ago.

The thing that has always driven me nuts is The Last Resort. I find that I can't get past the issues with the drum track on that one. At the end I always cringe at the sound of the cymbals. My wife loves the song and wants to hear it every time I play the album so I have to hear it a lot. I wish with the 5.1 mix they could have addressed that but at least the level seems lower on this mix. It helps, but once you notice it you can't unhear it. I'd love to know how that ever made the cut on an album so well recorded otherwise. OK, rant over.

On the whole, The 5.1 mix is the best I've heard this album. I wish I would've known about the SACD before I bought it from HD Tracks twice (once alone and once in the complete studio album set). I don't think I'll be listening to them much anymore. Unless they fix the drums on The Last Resort, this will be the last time I'll buy this album. :banana:

I'm wavering between 8 and 9, so I'll give it a few more spins to narrow it down.

Back