HiRez Poll Chicago - V [DVD-A]/[SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Chicago - V

• Total voters
I gave it an "8" when I first joined here and I probably stick by that.. possibly I might even give it a "9" now, its another superb Klingberg/Kellogg surround mix. sound quality is pristine too, I can't see how you could improve on the sound here (though I'd love to be proven wrong!).

I'm finally getting ahold of this disc via eBay. The 2011 SACD version for $27 (incl. shipping)
Can't wait to finally have this one in, and I'll get in a vote once I do. :)

Finally got the dvd-a! Great sound quality and surround mix... I like the mix more than some of the other reviewers here; plenty of discrete elements to my ears. Music content is a bit inconsistent for my tastes (as compared to CTA which kicks a** from start to finish!) I give it an 8. Wish I could find the CTA Quadio disc somewhere... That thing seems to be really rare!

I've had a sealed copy of this for a few years now. Saw it sitting on the shelf today and decided to finally crack it open and listen. I gave it a 7.

It sounds amazing, but unfortunately the surround approach is the same as the Chicago II DVD-A. It's mostly double stereo with some discrete guitar/brass solos in the center channel. It's maybe a little bit more adventurous than II- for example the opening of "A Hit By Varese" pans around the room in a similar fashion to the quad mix.

I was especially disappointed with the way "Dialogue" was handled, compared to the amazing quad mix.

"Dialogue"- 2018 4.0 Blu-Ray:
Dialogue1_Quad.JPG
"Dialogue"- 5.1 DVD-A:
Dialogue1_DVDA.JPG

Last edited:
Back