HiRez Poll America - HOMECOMING [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of America - HOMECOMING

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 surround release from Warner/Rhino, issued on DVD-A in September 2001 and later reissued as an SACD by Audio Fidelity in 2015. When posting comments, please indicate what format you are commenting on.

NOTE: Comments prior to Post #55 were made prior to the SACD being released, so they obviously are directed towards the DVD-A.

Homecoming DVD F.jpg
Homecoming DVD B.jpg

===================================================

Homecoming SACD F.jpg
Homecoming SACD B.jpg

Fantastic music and fantastic surround mix. A must have. 10. :sun

Everything about this disc shines! I have a feeling its score is going to suffer here since America doesn't get a lot of respect for their music. I always kind of liked America but really didn't pay much attention beyond their radio airplay until I picked up this disc. They certainly earned my respect. This one's a keeper!

I like America ad this is my favorite lp of them, so no suprise for a full 10/10.
Excellent surround mix but... where is the dts track? :cool:

From an artistic standpoint, would have preferred their far superior debut..but very nice, balanced, detailed sound, pleasing selection of songs, and anyway, better in that regard than the less consistent efforts to come. A '9'...

ED

I gave it a 9. The track, "Only In Your Heart" has good sound. The rest of the disk is unbelievable! You won't believe this recording is 30 years old.

I wish Rhino would have given us the rest of their early albums. Hearts and Holiday were mainstream Quad releases and could have been dusted off very easily. However, if we were only to get one, it's nice that it was one that was NOT previously available in surround, as we can always listen to the original QLPs, Reels and Q8's of the 2 quad titles.

I.M.O this is the best lp that America ever did.
It's great from start to finish.
Listening to it makes you wish for a multichannel dvda of their first self titled lp "America" as well..
and the quad reels of Hearts and Holiday are great too..

and why do all of their warner brothers lp's (except the first self titled one ) start with the letter H?

Homecoming
Hatrick
Holiday
Hearts
History
Hideaway
Harbour

That was done on purpose. Their first LP, although it appeared originally without this track, was subsequently subtitled "Horse with No Name".

This album went from being an ignored America album to my very favorite, after listening to the DVD-A a few times. I agree; wonderful album from start to finish.

One of my most played discs! I can hear "To Each His Own" over and over again. Beautiful songs - great mix. A definite 10 from me.

This is my favorite DVD-A. A solid 10.

The 5.1 mixes are as good as they come. Unbeatable for emotionally involving surround, and that's what it's all about for me.

Best track: Saturn nights. Better than drugs.

Another standout: Everyone I meet is from California (original title) -- arguably the best of the three versions they recorded of this, the peak Peek composition.

Last edited:
JonUrban said:
That was done on purpose. Their first LP, although it appeared originally without this track, was subsequently subtitled "Horse with No Name".

Don't forget their 1979 release, "Silent Letter". :)

eggplant said:
Don't forget their 1979 release, "Silent Letter". :)

:cool:))
BTW, nice album but i like a lot more the follower, "Alibi" - and i liked it a lot back when it came out in 1980, not in 1982 when it became a top seller and shot to n.1 on the italian charts. This is an album i would really love to have in 5.1, there's no weak song on the entire album. Too bad America had been treated very badly in the last decades (try to get a complete cd discography...).

eelkiller said:
California revisited is one of my favorite tunes by the band.

That's the song I meant. It's known as "Everyone I Meet is from California" in its two other versions, first as the rare B-side of "Horse With No Name" and a remake on the 1991 Rhino collection. One of their best, no doubt. Possibly Dan Peek's greatest contribution.

Last edited:
eggplant said:
That's the song I meant. It's known as "Everyone I Meet is from California" in its two other versions, first as the rare B-side of "Horse With No Name" and a remake on the 1991 Rhino collection. One of their best, no doubt. Possibly Dan Peak's greatest contribution.

I don't know the 1991 Rhino version, however there's another version on he 1994 album "hourglass" released by American Gramaphone. Check it out, it's worthy.

I was introduced to this album by the DVD-A. Can you imagine? Amazing album and 5.1 mix. Highly recommended!

Back