HiRez Poll Washington, Grover - WINELIGHT [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Grover Washington - WINELIGHT

• Total voters
very true but I'm in jolly old England ya see, where the Winelight DVDA seldom comes up cheap.

there are 3 copies of the Winelight DVDA on Amazon UK right now, priced at a whopping £83.75, £83.76 and £226.83.
(that works out at anywhere between $129.70 and $351.29).

Plus I didn't want my friends' first experience of buying into Multichannel music to be a potentially fraught import purchase with possible customs charges/hassles, etc...

So, I steered her towards the more readily available (all 4 of them..!!) high-res MC SACDs/DVDA/V's in this country, that you can pick up in HMV, etc.

Those, for the record, are Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon SACD, Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms SACD, Jeff Waynes' The War of the Worlds SACD and Queen's A Night at the Opera DVD-V .

It's imperative that you start the newbie in the right direction...does she like Elton?

It's imperative that you start the newbie in the right direction...does she like Elton?

Oh yes she does like EJ! (Why didn't I think of that!? D'OH!) Come to think of it she likes Clapton too and Slowhand's still available..

...and soon she can get the Winelight 5.1 at retail (well, online for a decent price at least!) courtesy of AF and their wondrous new Surround SACD programme! Yeay! :D

I gave this one a spin again today given the buzz, and it sounded better than ever. Funny how some discs just hit the spot at times, then again I like Mr.Bill Withers' voice.

Most of you guys know I am more a DVD-A guy than an SACD guy, mostly for 2 reasons. 1, I have DVD-A in the car, and 2, DVD-A's can be ripped to a PC and the files are unscathed. So, it is with somewhat an awkward amazement that I find that the SACD of this album and mix sounds simply better than the DVD-A.

It's hard to say why, but I can't wait for others to get this, play it, and compare it to the DVD-A. Mostly to see if I am losing my mind! :)

Most of you guys know I am more a DVD-A guy than an SACD guy, mostly for 2 reasons. 1, I have DVD-A in the car, and 2, DVD-A's can be ripped to a PC and the files are unscathed. So, it is with somewhat an awkward amazement that I find that the SACD of this album and mix sounds simply better than the DVD-A.

It's hard to say why, but I can't wait for others to get this, play it, and compare it to the DVD-A. Mostly to see if I am losing my mind! :)

UGH! I was dragging my feet on ordering this...but you may have tipped me over the edge...

WOW!!! :yikes

That's a big call...

Any track in particular that you used for comparison?

WOW!!! :yikes

That's a big call...

Any track in particular that you used for comparison?

It's not just one track, it's the whole album. They must have done some tweaking, because it just sounds more delicate and detailed. Really makes the mix shine.

But remember, it could just be me being bizarre.

It's not just one track, it's the whole album. They must have done some tweaking, because it just sounds more delicate and detailed. Really makes the mix shine.

But remember, it could just be me being bizarre.

HAHAHA! No bizarre allowed! I'm gonna order this.....it's all your fault! lmao :banana:

HAHAHA! No bizarre allowed! I'm gonna order this.....it's all your fault! lmao :banana:

OhOh! Oh My! :mad:@: Hope it works out for ya!

PS - DVD-A and SACD scans added 2/10/2015

may i ask, what do you mean saying "more delicate and detailed"?
i do have DVDA but albeit it has very nice mix, sonically i found it to be quite dry,
pretty overwhelming in middle and lower part of high freq. range.
did AF had done full re-mastering?

may i ask, what do you mean saying "more delicate and detailed"?
i do have DVDA but albeit it has very nice mix, sonically i found it to be quite dry,
pretty overwhelming in middle and lower part of high freq. range.
did AF had done full re-mastering?

0tto,

I can't describe it, and I don't know what they did. Please do not buy this SACD if you have the DVD-A on my account. It may just be the way it sounds through my Oppo, I don't know.

Brian Moura probably knows a bit more about what was done in the mastering. I would wait until he chimes in before anyone makes a purchase on my observations.

I'll do some side-by-side comparisons like I did with Breezin', once I get it. The AF SACD of Breezin' had considerably better frequency response (the DVD-A basically had nothing about 18kHz) so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Winelight could show some improvement too.

Right off the bat, I'm impressed with this disc! Great music, mix, and fidelity!

The title track is a knockout! If any of you have access to any of the Acura ELS DVD-A demo discs, you'll know that this track is used to test all of the speakers and show how a 5.1 surround mix is built. It's an incredibly effective track for that purpose in that Elliot Scheiner has devised an incredibly discrete and active surround mix that perfectly suits the music and keeps the original intent of the album intact, all with increased fidelity and immersiveness! (is that even a word? Idk, lol)
Each instrument appears to have its own dedicated, discrete space in the mix, which is a perfect mixing style for this kind of music, which is incredibly dry and direct.
At times it feels like this album is a Steely Dan album without vocals, which makes sense as to why Elliot would be the one to mix this in surround, as he has such a great ear for how to approach this style of music in surround.
Besides the title track, my other favorite on this album is definitely the Bill Withers track, seeing as how I love a good vocal, and what a great vocal it is! The track is complemented with great percussion playing and background vocals in the surround channels.

This is not usually my kind of music, so I really mean it when I say that I'm glad I bought this disc from AF, and you should too! A well deserved '9'! :)

Never had this one on DVD-A, but so glad AF decided to re-release this on SACD. Elliot Scheiner did such a great 5.1 mix on this superb recording. Sounds balanced, crisp, clean, and envelops the listener perfectly. I will enjoy this more before voting but they don't get much better than this. It is recordings like this that make this crazy hobby / obsession all worthwhile

I did some (quick) comparisons and points of note, it sounds better! Grover's sax is silky smooth...the DVD-A sounds a little "crunchy" in comparison. Vocals also come through really nice, and it sounds more "integrated"...

Wow!! The DVD-A is a 10 for me, so the SACD must be an 11!!

I can't wait to hear Homecoming.....

IMHO this is a reference SACD, the sound is impeccable, the only criticism is that there are selfishly only 6 cuts. A 10 from me all the way. This has and will continue to occupy one of the 6 slots in my Integra DVD Changer.

I never owned the DVD-A so was very pleased when the SACD was announced. It sounds terrific and, yes indeed, the surround mix is demo quality. My only complaint is, with the exception of one song and one intro, it’s all Grover all the time. He’s a fine enough player but IMO lacks the depth and versatility needed to sustain and develop interesting melodic ideas throughout a 5-plus minute piece. And he’s backed by a who’s who of elite jazz and session men who must stay in supportive roles throughout. By contrast in AF’s other recent ‘smooth jazz’ release, Breezin’, Benson’s wonderful guitar and vocal work is supplemented by Jorge Dalto and Ronnie Foster’s tasty keyboard solos. This, in part, is why I feel Breezin’ is the better album (but not the better surround mix!). So perhaps not surprisingly “Just the Two of Us” is my favorite track. A cool tune with a great lead vocal by Bill Withers and lovely female backing vox plus the nifty addition of steel drums. Yet despite my apparent Grover bashing I do really enjoy all the tunes and overall I give the disc a solid 9.

This turned up today. I never managed to get the DVD-A. So the mix is fantastic, ES does it again, so I'm a 9-10 on that. The sound quality is really good, so I'm a 9 for that as well. The musicianship is brilliant, the arrangements are OK, Bill Withers singing is a real boost, but....there is nothing wrong with the music per se, but I got a tiny bit bored in quite a few places, it seems to lack that spontaneity that jazz often has, it seems to be too manufactured, so I'm glad I've bought it but I'm going to give it a 7 for the music. So its an 8++ from me.

Back