HiRez Poll Washington, Grover - WINELIGHT [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Grover Washington - WINELIGHT

• Total voters
This turned up today. I never managed to get the DVD-A. So the mix is fantastic, ES does it again, so I'm a 9-10 on that. The sound quality is really good, so I'm a 9 for that as well. The musicianship is brilliant, the arrangements are OK, Bill Withers singing is a real boost, but....there is nothing wrong with the music per se, but I got a tiny bit bored in quite a few places, it seems to lack that spontaneity that jazz often has, it seems to be too manufactured, so I'm glad I've bought it but I'm going to give it a 7 for the music. So its an 8++ from me.

Give the track "Take Me There" another try? ...with a good cranking it's anything but boring! :D

(I know it all evens itself out but..) The lone 6 & 7 votes (one fella hasn't been here in 5 years, the other in 10 years.. and neither posted much if at all when they were here) pisses me off somewhat.. this is a stunning surround disc and the poll should reflect that! OCD FB Over and Out! :D

This turned up today. I never managed to get the DVD-A. So the mix is fantastic, ES does it again, so I'm a 9-10 on that. The sound quality is really good, so I'm a 9 for that as well. The musicianship is brilliant, the arrangements are OK, Bill Withers singing is a real boost, but....there is nothing wrong with the music per se, but I got a tiny bit bored in quite a few places, it seems to lack that spontaneity that jazz often has, it seems to be too manufactured, so I'm glad I've bought it but I'm going to give it a 7 for the music. So its an 8++ from me.

Give the track "Take Me There" another try? ...with a good cranking it's anything but boring! :D
I think I know what Duncan means...there is just "some" Jazz that is so damn perfect sounding.....shall we say...nearly surgical....it gets boring. I think I get it. I've had that feeling about a LOT of Jazz. But, from standpoint of sonics....it just cannot be beat.

(I know it all evens itself out but..) The lone 6 & 7 votes (one fella hasn't been here in 5 years, the other in 10 years.. and neither posted much if at all when they were here) pisses me off somewhat.. this is a stunning surround disc and the poll should reflect that! OCD FB Over and Out! :D

I'm with you 100%...I guess I'm also surprised that people don't think this jazz holds your interest...I don't get it...it's not Ornette Coleman...but it's not muzak either...there is some jazz that puts me to sleep...but it's not this album...different strokes I guess...whenever you have humans involved with music it's going to be very subjective...it's the same standard I see applied on here to some surround discs on the poll threads when people say they don't have the "modern sound"...well Dark Side Of The Moon sure doesn't have any modern sound and it's been the poll leader for some time..so there..I've said it...

I think I know what Duncan means...there is just "some" Jazz that is so damn perfect sounding.....shall we say...nearly surgical....it gets boring. I think I get it. I've had that feeling about a LOT of Jazz. But, from standpoint of sonics....it just cannot be beat.

Mannered.. accomplished.. palatably lightweight.. poppy.. after dinner pipe and slippers rather than a surgical snoozefest, I'd say...it's kind of populist jazz, a bit of noodling with some pop crossover appeal for the masses (it's got "Just The Two Of Us" at its core, after all.. the later poppy lighter side of Bill Withers, Grandma's Hands or Ain't No Sunshine it ain't..) :)

Most of all, however, I must say I am incredibly pleased and thankful that AF have chosen to reissue this 5.1 album now as in my book a finer example of surround music mixing you'd be hard pushed to find.. its been out of print a decade or so now.. and more people will get to hear what can be done with pretty simple lightweight music when it's given such masterful multichannel mixing treatment.

Mannered.. accomplished.. palatably lightweight.. poppy.. after dinner pipe and slippers rather than a surgical snoozefest, I'd say...it's kind of populist jazz, a bit of noodling with some pop crossover appeal for the masses (it's got "Just The Two Of Us" at its core, after all.. the later poppy lighter side of Bill Withers, Grandma's Hands or Ain't No Sunshine it ain't..) :)

Most of all, however, I must say I am incredibly pleased and thankful that AF have chosen to reissue this 5.1 album now as in my book a finer example of surround music mixing you'd be hard pushed to find.. its been out of print a decade or so now.. and more people will get to hear what can be done with pretty simple lightweight music when it's given such masterful multichannel mixing treatment.
Dude...my man...I only said I think I understand...didn't say I agree. I love Winelight and will be getting it shortly. I think it's killer.

I generally don't listen to any Jazz, but I gave this a chance since it reminded me a little of Steely Dan on the snippets I previewed... WOW, this disc is fantastic! The discrete mix is wonderful and the percussion in the surround channels tickles my ears (yes, I said tickles). It's an enjoyable listen from beginning to end. I don't give many 10s (so far, only DSOTM Quad, Machine Head Quad, and Hand Cannot Erase), but since this disc is so good (and it's really not in competition with the aforementioned discs since it's a different genre), I give it a ten.

I'd give it a 1. Couldn't stand the music at all. I sold mine on an auction site but got a bid of over $25 for it. Minus fees of course.

Yeah, I'm not a great fan of the album. Just The Two of Us is the only track that I can easily remember.

I'd give it a 1. Couldn't stand the music at all. I sold mine on an auction site but got a bid of over $25 for it. Minus fees of course.

I can understand a one for musical content if it's not your thing, but the surround mix and fidelity would merit a higher score than that! I won't give a disc with great fidelity and surround mix (no matter how much I hate the music i.e. Gentle Giant) anything lower than an 7. Honestly, I'm surprised I like this disc as much as I do given my background is mainly rock/metal.

I can understand a one for musical content if it's not your thing, but the surround mix and fidelity would merit a higher score than that! I won't give a disc with great fidelity and surround mix (no matter how much I hate the music i.e. Gentle Giant) anything lower than an 7. Honestly, I'm surprised I like this disc as much as I do given my background is mainly rock/metal.

It's an excellent disc and I also voted a 10...nobody is going to vote a 1 and get away with it...that's happened on here before and it was made clear that it's not acceptable and I don't see that happening again on these polls...

Voting a one on this disc is absolutely ludicrous and shows a narrow mindedness approach to music. Good music is good music. I am surprised there are people on this Site with such a narrow view of music.

Voting a 1 is fine. You may as well have a scale from 7 to 10 otherwise. The issue with voting a one in the past was that it seemed the person did it multiple times relating to a specific mixing artist, with little/no evidence of having listened to the material, but more making a point about what they perceived to be positive bias towards the mixer.

Last edited:
Voting a 1 is fine. You may as well have a scale from 7 to 10 otherwise. The issue with voting a one in the past was that it seemed the person did it multiple times relating to a specific mixing artist, with little/no evidence of having listened to the material, but more making a point about what they perceived to be positive bias towards the mixer.

I agree with Mike, and yeah I remember that case... It was somebody who had an agenda against a certain mixer.

Cupboy, I'm still not sure why you would give this disc a 1. Hey, it's your choice of course, but why wouldn't you rate a disc based on mix, sound quality and content, like we do with all the other titles here?

I don't think anybody would object to "I think this about the mix and that about the sound quality, but personally I can't stand the music, so it's a [number]". It's the "screw this music, gave the disc a 1 and peddled it" that I find mystifying.

You've been around long enough, and you're a regular participant in this forum who normally contributes good value. I thought you'd know better...?

I find it hard to give one total score on the basis of three or four things: I'm still finding my own relative scale, let alone figuring out other people's!

I should know better than to say anything...but I can't help myself... :)

I think Cupboy's comments were "to some degree" tongue in cheek. He didn't physically cast a vote...just a verbal vote. Harmless at this point. These polls certainly are hard....I find them hard...but fun and informative.

Back