HiRez Poll Ronstadt, Linda - WHAT'S NEW [DVD-A]/[SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Linda Ronstadt - WHAT'S NEW?

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on the 2004 5.1 Mix of this classic album, originally issued by WB/Rhino as a DVD-A, and subsequently released in Japan as an SACD in August 2011.

DVD-A/V front:
R-4291883-1457206129-9679.jpeg.jpg

SACD front:
R-4291862-1360883635-1007.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although we'd heard this sort of torch pop before--and, arguably, better--this is a wonderful, all-enveloping, nicely balanced mix.....I love it! A '10'!

ED :)

I just got this one after owning all three of her albums with Nelson Riddle on the "'Round Midnight" CD for over a decade which I still play. Surround offers a slight improvement over stereo with this music and I think she and Nelson got these great songs right and Linda is a fine singer. A 9, I love this music.

Chris

A very unique mix with Linda's vocals brought forward... almost close enough to kiss her.

I always enjoy this disc.

Given my main music tastes, purchasing this SACD was a bit of a left-field purchase for me, but how happy I am that I now own this disc.

This album is perfectly suited for surround, showing off the beautiful orchestral arrangements and Ronstadt's incredible singing.
Reminds me of Patsy Cline's singing, perfect to a 'T'. No Auto-Tune needed here folks!

Not a gimmicky mix at all, lots of great placements and lots of bass! Gives my sub a workout! Who knew?
Also, you have to love Linda's voice front and center in the center channel.
Occasionally, Linda's voice comes out a little more into the surround channels, but it's not distracting at all. It feels like she's singing right to you.
The muted trumpet in the surrounds on "I've Got A Crush On You" is a perfect touch, while "Someone to Watch Over Me" has always been one of my favorite standards with the harp flourishing in the surrounds.
On "I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You", you'll hear the saxophone solo in a space between the front and surround channels off to the left, lovely touch!

This disc really gets a '8.5', but I'll round up. ;)

I like this one a lot - excellent performance by Linda Ronstadt, great fidelty and a nice surround mix - I give it a 9!

I quite dig this disc in stereo, needless to say I wanted to hunt down the surround mix. Easier said than done, well, finding it wasn’t that hard, but open to pay those prizes wasn’t without hesitation. Finally I managed to get the SACD to a pretty OK prize.

(Right as of now I do see that the dvd audio is actually going a bit lower on discogs, I suppose it’s the same mix).

I quite dig this disc in stereo, needless to say I wanted to hunt down the surround mix. Easier said than done, well, finding it wasn’t that hard, but open to pay those prizes wasn’t without hesitation. Finally I managed to get the SACD to a pretty OK prize.

(Right as of now I do see that the dvd audio is actually going a bit lower on discogs, I suppose it’s the same mix).
Seems to be still available here, friend:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-14169?s_ssid=e4399e5c3f5e16728e

After watching the excellent Linda Ronstadt documentary on CNN, I sought this one out, found it reasonably priced on Discogs. I must say I was not disappointed. As mentioned previously in this thread, Linda’s voice is front and center, right there in the room with you. Goosebumps! The sax and horn solos sound fantastic too. The acoustic bass goes deep! The surround mix is perfect for this type of music, with the orchestra wrapped to the sides in kind of a horseshoe shape, nothing flashy but enveloping. I know not everyone isn’t into this type of music, but if you are, this disc is worth picking up.

I don’t usually vote in these polls, but if I did, I would say:
Surround mix 9
Sound quality 10
Music 8
Overall 9

I have the DVD-A and SACD and I think the vocals don't sound natural in surround on the DVD-A version (I don't remember if the vocals sounds more natural in stereo). The SACD sounds better for surround.

I have the DVD-A and SACD and I think the vocals don't sound natural in surround on the DVD-A version (I don't remember if the vocals sounds more natural in stereo). The SACD sounds better for surround.

interesting! thank you for posting to this effect because i remember finding the vocals a bit overcooked on the 5.1 on the DVD-A and the voice felt kinda detached from what was going on in the other channels too.

i was totally unfamiliar with the album before getting the DVD-A and have never played the Stereo, so i thought that was maybe inherent in the recording or the production rather than a flaw of the surround mix, i don't know 🤷‍♀️
..and now i see despite owning it for many many years i've never voted for it here, so i'll give it a play tonight and see how i get on 👍

Not top tier overall, but a fun listen sometimes. I like some of her performances more than others. Nice orchestration by Riddle (of course!) 8

Back