HiRez Poll Nine Inch Nails - THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL [SACD/DualDisc:DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Nine Inch Nails - THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL

• Total voters
Anyone happen to have pictures of the package? Or is able to take some to display here?

Wondering what it looks like and if the clear plastic cover has any writing etc on it.

Thanks.

Wow. This SACD gets a 10.

This is a revelation on an already classic album, excellent sonics, excellent mix. The bass is earth shattering, and I love it.

Closer is worth the price of admission alone, add to that Reptile and Hurt... and you've got yourself an easy 10/10 just based on those tracks alone. (y)

As someone said above... REQUIRED listening for any MCH music fan.

Ordered 'With Teeth' because of this. :D

Last edited:
You'll all have to forgive me for rehashing an age old thread here, but I just rediscovered dvd-a/sacd after about a 8-9 year hiatus (never got into my Metallica/LA Woman albums back then because I was outputting my audio via optical... :yikes ), after finding out about the Love dvd-a album...

For those that have both versions of this: after this long, which one stands out as the better mix?

You'll all have to forgive me for rehashing an age old thread here...

Hehe, that's mostly what this forum's all about. :)

Anyway, I have the SACD, but you inspired me to purchase the DVD-A. So, hopefully in a few weeks I'll come up with a comparison. Since the DualDisc has some videos and stuff, and hopefully the sound is less grainy than the SACD, I would start with that one.

You'll all have to forgive me for rehashing an age old thread here, but I just rediscovered dvd-a/sacd after about a 8-9 year hiatus (never got into my Metallica/LA Woman albums back then because I was outputting my audio via optical... :yikes ), after finding out about the Love dvd-a album...

For those that have both versions of this: after this long, which one stands out as the better mix?

I have both versions of "The Downward Spiral" and believe the mix is identical. I don't recall a preference for one over the other but that doesn't mean there isn't a reason to prefer one. In general, an SACD is preferrable to a DualDisc in my opinion but DVD-A is preferrable to SACD also in my opinion so this one is a mixed bag. When I think about it, I will probably sell one or the other, most likely whichever sells for the higher price.

Rehash all you want! There are only so many quad/5.1 titles, so bumping up an old one with a new post is better than having it buried, forcing a new one.

ED :)

I just got the DualDisc, compared it to the SACD, and they sound different to me. Different mix, different mastering.

My spontaneous impression is that the DVD-A sounds better.

I just got the DualDisc, compared it to the SACD, and they sound different to me. Different mix, different mastering.

My spontaneous impression is that the DVD-A sounds better.

The SACD and the Dualdisc have the same 5.1 mix.

The SACD and the Dualdisc have the same 5.1 mix.

After listening some more, I believe you might be right. I was fooled by an approximate 3 dB volume offset (the SACD lower) first.

I still think that the DVD-A sounds better, but it is hard to determine with certainty without volume normalization.

The SACD contains two SACDs. Pretty good deal. I'm just now playing a used one I bought some time ago.

I don't know if both disks are multi-channel or not since I'm only set up for stereo at the moment.

After you're done playing this put on the Zebrahead SACD. Fits right in.

another SACD I've never got around to unwrapping.. yet :eek:

one of these days I'll give it a spin and see if I hate it as much as I always feared I would!

(only got it when it came out for collecting purposes.. fruitless as its so common! Ah well...)

another SACD I've never got around to unwrapping.. yet :eek:

one of these days I'll give it a spin and see if I hate it as much as I always feared I would!

(only got it when it came out for collecting purposes.. fruitless as its so common! Ah well...)

It's one of the seminal albums of the 1990's. Why would someone hate it?

the 90's just wasn't my time.
plus just the name of this group sounds too heavy for me.
I'll open it up and try it someday and see though..

It's an amazing album. Still holds up. Very much worth an open mind and listen.

While I like the mix, listening to the stereo in DPL in college was my first surround experience. Nothing will ever top that moment. There's also little touches in the stereo (some vocals isolated in the rears on "Eraser," I think) which weren't a part of the MCH mix, which always disappointed me a bit. On its own merit, though, it's a good mix.

Back