HiRez Poll Beck, Jeff - BLOW BY BLOW [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Jeff Beck - BLOW BY BLOW

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD released by SONY in the US in the early 2000's, re-released in 2014 by Epic in Japan in a special limited edition with posters and original quadraphonic LP labels, and once again in 2016 by Analog Productions with alleged phasing issues corrected. All of these SACDs are based on the original 4.0 quadraphonic mix.

--== Please note which version you are voting on/commenting regarding ==--

(n):phones(y)

2016 Analog Productions SACD:
AP Blow by Blow Front.jpg
AP Blow by Blow Back.jpg

=============================================================

2014 Japanese SACD (large case) and original Sony SACD (Smaller case)
(Quad label and sleeve are from the Japanese release)

Attachments

• Blow by Blow jackets Sm.jpg
    Blow by Blow jackets Sm.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Blow by Blow SACD in sleeve.jpg
    Blow by Blow SACD in sleeve.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 317
An absolutely incredible album in any form! I was so happy they used the original quad mix on this one. I absolutely love it! My only complaint is that the quality of the master tape used has obviously seen better days, but what can you do? 9 points!

Super disc, super surround {quad} mix. I am also very glad they used the origonal quad mix as it was great. Love it, i give it a 10. Just wish they would do Wired also {from the origonal quad}, but i am sure it will never happen.

An album I'd actually never owned, in any format, before I bought the SACD. One of my earliest SACD purchases (since there WEREN'T many when I bought it). I love the mix on this one, and actually listen to it quite frequently, even though I'm not really into Jeff Beck all that much. Gave it a 9.

I am a hugh Jeff Beck fan and this has always been my favorite LP. His albums have always been translated well to quad as the mixes are usually dense with lots of guitar dubs, and this is no acception. The sacd has great fidelity and all of the material is excellent. My favorite cuts are, well all of them! A 10! :smokin

kumquad

Late to the game on this as I'm just obtaining all the discs most of you guys/girls got a few of years ago.....got this album when it came out in 1975 when I was 16. I had not heard this in 30 years but the SACD sure brought back memories. The music itself is still timeless and I found the surround (have read quad mix, above) mix to be one of the best that I have in my stock of about 30 discs to date. No more to add, I would have to rate it as a 9+ as I'm still waiting for perfection.

My story is like John's above. Advice from this board led me to track this one down and I'm very happy I did. This is another great quad mix that sounds fresh and clean. I highly recommend that people pick this one up. I give Blow by Blow a 9.

produced by Sir george martin, not a fact that is well known, and limited liner notes, when it was announced that Jeff was doing a solo effort, drummers lined up along with musicions to be part of it. a classic, sound as if it was mixed from the quad masters as there is hardly any center info.

produced by Sir george martin, not a fact that is well known

Oh, I think it is, just as George's work with America(far less interesting, IMO)is well known. But after you've produced the Beatles, it's downhill from there...

sound as if it was mixed from the quad masters as there is hardly any center info.

As Cai pointed out, this was taken from the original Epic quad master. There is a center channel, but it has nothing discrete and doesn't intrude.

ED :)

A great disc but am I the only one who finds She's A Woman almost impossible to listen to. The way that organ or electric piano or whatever it is goes left speaker- echo right speaker, left- echo right, left-echo right, on and on - it just about gives me a headache. What was Sir George thinking?

A great disc but am I the only one who finds She's A Woman almost impossible to listen to. The way that organ or electric piano or whatever it is goes left speaker- echo right speaker, left- echo right, left-echo right, on and on - it just about gives me a headache. What was Sir George thinking?

That's one of my favorite parts!

Aww man I just ordered this one but got the SACD stereo only version. :(

booooo (refund!)

So let me clarify for those who want to purchase this, the SACD single layer is the version you don't want (the one I picked up) with just stereo. The hybrid SACD is the one you do want, with redbook and multi channel sound, right?

~d

Aww man I just ordered this one but got the SACD stereo only version. :(

booooo (refund!)

So let me clarify for those who want to purchase this, the SACD single layer is the version you don't want (the one I picked up) with just stereo. The hybrid SACD is the one you do want, with redbook and multi channel sound, right?

~d
My copy is a a single layer version with multi channel, no hybrid redbook layer.

Sir George didn't mix it.

Back