HiRez Poll Beck, Jeff - BLOW BY BLOW [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Jeff Beck - BLOW BY BLOW

• Total voters
I may make this title my next SACD purchase (yeah that's right, I've still never bought this one yet)
But before I do buy it, I have to ask this question.
Does anyone definitively know if there is a difference in sound quality between this version of the SACD and this version of the SACD?

Thanks! :)

It appears that there are 3 versions...all under the Sony umbrella.....I have the Epic version HERE which lists Darcy Proper and Vic Anesini on the project..here is my disc listing..your first listing in your post has a different engineer and was remastered by someone different HERE..your second listing is a re-issue anniversary edition with some "extras" included..packaging and some other goodies HERE..I like my edition and maybe someone with the other editions can give you their opinion...this release has gotten consistently high ratings in every version....

I may make this title my next SACD purchase (yeah that's right, I've still never bought this one yet)
But before I do buy it, I have to ask this question.
Does anyone definitively know if there is a difference in sound quality between this version of the SACD and this version of the SACD?

Thanks! :)

I don't know Ryan sorry - but I doubt there is any difference in the Surround aspect at least - is the honest answer :eek:
I hope you'll love this one, it's a Quad Classic imho! :D

It appears that there are 3 versions...all under the Sony umbrella.....I have the Epic version HERE which lists Darcy Proper and Vic Anesini on the project..here is my disc listing..your first listing in your post has a different engineer and was remastered by someone different HERE..your second listing is a re-issue anniversary edition with some "extras" included..packaging and some other goodies HERE..I like my edition and maybe someone with the other editions can give you their opinion...this release has gotten consistently high ratings in every version....

Thanks. The reason I didn't list the first SACD you mentioned is because it isn't a Hybrid SACD, and I always prefer to buy a Hybrid SACD over a non-Hybrid, so basically my choice is between the 2nd and 3rd iterations of this SACD. I'll explore evermore… :)

Thanks. The reason I didn't list the first SACD you mentioned is because it isn't a Hybrid SACD, and I always prefer to buy a Hybrid SACD over a non-Hybrid, so basically my choice is between the 2nd and 3rd iterations of this SACD. I'll explore evermore… :)

fwiw Ryan, I have the 1st MultiCh U.S release (came in a grey card slip originally) which is a single layer, not hybrid job and the later MultiCh Hybrid released in Europe (the most recent Hybrid was the Japanese release that came in oversized replica 7" inch single packaging afaik, I stopped short of getting that, so far but no doubt will down the line) anyway I have played back the MultiCh on both of those SACDs today.. and the upshot is they sounded the same in surround to me.. so take that with a pinch of the salty stuff as you so desire! :D

also,I plan to t/fer both copies of this in real time via the Motu but you will already have your copy of this one no doubt long before I get around to that so will be purely academic.. but to anyone here reading this who cares about the preservation of the rare and hard to come by stuff (I think that's a lot of you) my intention is once I'm off my SQ vinyl Surround Master trip to really go thru all the OOP and HTF SACDs/DVD-A/DTS CDs/DualDiscs etc with a fine tooth comb (which I anticipate will probably take years)... so that eventually there will be one big resource/reference, hopefully here, for everyone to draw on..

..and beyond that when I retire (if I'm still alive!) it is my long-term aim to establish some kind of a museum or rather a gallery of surround sound throughout history that people can visit to help keep it alive.. and in connection with that I will leave some money behind when I kick the bucket to go towards setting up a school for surround so that people can keep teaching the up and coming engineers all the necessary techniques etc to keep surround going for future generations.

Well, that's the plan anyway.. I'll never have any kids, so surround is my baby.. I hope I live long enough to achieve any or all of it.. sorry for going OT, back to the Polls :eek:

Dunno why but this records transcends all guitar music. I'm not a huge Beck guy, but this record is a genius one in a billion work of art.

The sound is so good(and I love the mix) I can't believe its an old 4.0 quad tape. Sounds modern & is a must have.

Getting this one in brand new, sealed condition for $20 plus shipping was a miracle, especially once I opened it up and started playing it. Could this be the greatest instrumental rock album of all time? Maybe so! Anyway, after two full listens, I'm giving this one a very well-deserved '9', breaking my vote down this way:

Content: 2.5/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 2.5/3
High-Res Disc: 1/1

The detractor concerning the fidelity was the fact that it was a little on the loud side, but at least it's not too loud to the point where it's discomforting.
And the detractor concerning the content? Well, I like vocals, but thankfully, the music is at least very good enough to the point where I only missed vocals just a little bit.
If you're lucky enough to find a new copy for close to the same price that I did, you would be absolutely insane to not buy it! Highly recommended! :)

Getting this one in brand new, sealed condition for $20 plus shipping was a miracle, especially once I opened it up and started playing it. Could this be the greatest instrumental rock album of all time? Maybe so! Anyway, after two full listens, I'm giving this one a very well-deserved '9', breaking my vote down this way:
One of my top 5 reference surround discs for friends when they come over. Love it.

Haha.. good to see you round these parts buddy! Hope you're keeping well? :upthumb

Thanks Adam. I have been around, but am often in lurker mode recently. I only post when I have something to say; I couldn't pass up pointing out your serendipitous 69 post. Finances are tight and I've gotten out of the collector's mentality, so I have little to say about any new releases (Beatles 1+ was my last surround purchase- if that even counts as a surround purchase). I get a lot of vicarious joy from reading about others' experiences w/ these great new discs and I know which ones I will really keep an eye out for deals on. But I have little to add to the conversations. But it's good to see you carrying the ball so well, as always. Cheers, Matey! :brew

As I stated earlier in this thread I prefer the surround with the front and back channels reversed. For me tracks 6-9 are the best, I usually listen to the first track and then skip to 6 for the rest of the disc and yes I reverse the front and back always. Actually I hooked up a second player using analog outputs to do this for me.

As I stated earlier in this thread I prefer the surround with the front and back channels reversed. For me tracks 6-9 are the best, I usually listen to the first track and then skip to 6 for the rest of the disc and yes I reverse the front and back always. Actually I hooked up a second player using analog outputs to do this for me.

You don't like Constipated Duck. It's my favorite track but yes the whole thing is great though.

A great disc but am I the only one who finds She's A Woman almost impossible to listen to. The way that organ or electric piano or whatever it is goes left speaker- echo right speaker, left- echo right, left-echo right, on and on - it just about gives me a headache. What was Sir George thinking?

I am SO sorry to respond to a post from 2008 here in 2016, but I'm about that far behind on this board. This stereo panning was one of the things I looked most forward to when I bought the SACD, how the stereo Fender Rhodes (Max Middleton) was going to be presented within the quad mix. Still stereo. Still pans left and right. That was one of the endearing aspects of this album for me since I first bought the LP (or was it 8-track, hmmm) as a teenager in 1975, how they faithfully captured the stereo Rhodes setup. Still one of my favorite albums ever, the quad mix just makes it better, phase problems and all.

See here for a demo of it, I think it is a love/hate thing. I love it. https://youtu.be/uEXxCCCHxKs

I am SO sorry to respond to a post from 2008 here in 2016, but I'm about that far behind on this board. This stereo panning was one of the things I looked most forward to when I bought the SACD, how the stereo Fender Rhodes (Max Middleton) was going to be presented within the quad mix. Still stereo. Still pans left and right. That was one of the endearing aspects of this album for me since I first bought the LP (or was it 8-track, hmmm) as a teenager in 1975, how they faithfully captured the stereo Rhodes setup. Still one of my favorite albums ever, the quad mix just makes it better, phase problems and all.

See here for a demo of it, I think it is a love/hate thing. I love it. https://youtu.be/uEXxCCCHxKs

Hey no problem. I had a listen to this disc today. I simply cannot get into this music. It seems like a fine recording but for whatever reason the music just irritates me.

Just ordered the reissue (8th of March) of the hybrid multi channel SACD from Acoustic Sounds, along with Best of the Doors to make up the $50 minimum order to ship to the UK.

Just ordered the reissue (8th of March) of the hybrid multi channel SACD from Acoustic Sounds, along with Best of the Doors to make up the $50 minimum order to ship to the UK.

Is this really a multi channel version...or is acoustic sounds description just wrong...makes little sense as a multi channel release...they wouldn't remaster the stereo section and do nothing to the existing surround section...

UPDATE:...I just spoke to someone at acoustic sounds...it was originally slated to be stereo but they were able to obtain the multichannel license during the process...she couldn't answer if the 5.1 mix would be new or the old one...as much as I love my version of Blow By Blow...I'd jump in again if there was a new 5.1 mix...having a better stereo version means nothing to me...if they don't do anything new to the multichannel secion it's a head scratcher to me..

Back