HiRez Poll Barenaked Ladies - EVERYTHING TO EVERYONE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Barenaked Ladies - EVERYTHING TO EVERYONE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

(This was the first dual packaged release* of a DVD-A with a CD (major release sold in stores), and was also part of the test marketing of the DualDisc)

(*-Boz Scaggs Dig was earlier, but that was a ltd release)

Attachments

• barenaked 2.jpg
    barenaked 2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 398
This can be over-looked because the DVD-A is sold as part of a 2-disk set with the regular CD in a regular CD-case. I've never seen this on-line or in a store in the DVD-Audio section - only with the regular CDs.

This is a great album. The lyrics are clever and poignant. The music is pleasant. The disk is loaded with extras including a video of the group doing eleven of the songs "unplugged" in the recording studio.

The recording is good. I didn't give it a ten because I like my 5.1 mixes to be aggressive. This mix is rather subtle. There are a couple of "throw away" songs that don't stand up to repeated listening for me. But most seem to get deeper and more meaningful with subsequent playings.

Highly recommended.

I agree with the above poster. This is a strong but not groundbraking effort from the band. Most of the songs are very good with a few mediocre ones thrown in. The mix is very tame though and often times isn't even very noticable at all. With a band like this I was hoping for a more aggressive mix but the sound quality is very good.

This is one time a subtle surround mix really works for me. It's subtle, but not too subtle. Everything is spread out nicely. Decent recording. These songs are all very likeable if you give them a chance. "War on Drugs" and "Aluminium" are probably my favorites. I recommend this disc; it's an 8.

Eugenius said:
"War on Drugs" and "Aluminium" are probably my favorites. I recommend this disc.

Those two songs alone are worth the price of this disk imho.

I like this disc. It's in moderate rotation. I own all of BNL's studio albums and I probably place this at #3 on my list of favorites. Overall the mix is great, the lyrics are cool and the music is typical BNL. I give it a 9.

This is a very fun disc with a very upbeat musical presentation. The audio quality is quite good and the surround mix is very good. It doesn't quite have as much "staying power" as some discs do, but for a quick listen of a song or two this is a great disc. 8 points.

Does anyone know if this disc was released as an "official" DualDisc? If so, was the number different than the test market DualDisc (48650-2).

Thanks!

I don't think so. Though, I suppose technically I should say "not that I'm aware of". The only official version I ever saw was the 2-disc CD+DVD version.

I always thought of BNL as a poor man's XTC - and in the absence of any MC from that group this is certainly welcome - they should get a prize just for putting out a double DVD A at such a great price. Musically, it is OK - really good in some spots, a bit mediocre in others. The mix is consistently good, and I am pleased to own it - a 7 on it's own and a 10 for effort - 8 overall.

Just got the CD-DVDA at my local B+N. The only previous album I had from BNL is "Are Me: Special Edition." While I liked "Are Me/Are Men" (I prefer "Are Men"), it seemed like they were trying to do something radically different from the earlier days, which is admirable, but sometimes a gimmick just works better (although I think no one wants to be a one-gimmick band).

"Everything To Everyone" is a good blend of what they were when they were a Top 40 band and what they are now. And, like everyone here says, the audio is top quality.

I just got the "Maroon" DVD-A on eBay. So now Barenaked Ladies, I think you NEED to come out with a DVD-A of "Stunt" and my hi-res collection of BNL will be complete! Muahahahahaha! (evil laugh) :smokin

Rated "Everything To Everyone" a 9.

Warner has dumped this one to liquidators, the DVD-A/CD set is available at absurd prices so I finally picked it up. It is terrific in my opinion, nice mix and good fidelity with a bunch of good pop songs. Now I need to try to track down Maroon.

Chris

I have maroon still but don't listen to it any more so Private msg me if you want a used copy of it at a good price in good condition.

I have maroon still but don't listen to it any more so Private msg me if you want a used copy of it at a good price in good condition.

I would swap a brand new sealed "Everything to Everyone" CD/DVD-A set I picked up at Dollar Tree. I am sorry, I know that isn't likely funny to others but finding DVD-A's at Dollar Tree is humorous to me.

Chris

Of the three BnL DVD-As this one is my favourite....then probably Are Me..

Just picked up this disc used for $10 at a local Hastings store.
Don't know if I'm really gonna like the music on this disc, but we'll see once I get a full chance to listen, vote, and review this one. :)

Man, I freakin' love this album. And I say this as someone who had no prior knowledge of BNL. It's so musical and clever on so many levels.

J. D.

Short take: No reason to avoid it!

I confess I always thought of this band as a joke because of their name. I had never listened to them (knowingly) until I got into surround and bought this and their other two. I have to say I really like this disc, and the songs.

The mix is very good. I had the misfortune of bumping this up against Skylarking, and the fidelity and mix are so pristine on the latter that it made for a possibly unfair comparison. It is not that the fidelity on this is bad, but it is just not as shimmering as the XTC. That could well be the source material. And surround mixing has possibly improved since this was released in 2003; there are more people doing it and more to compare to. So while this (Barenaked) mix feels very open with some discrete elements, and I really like it, it might not compare to the current best and brightest.

That said, I find this a very enjoyable listen that seems to get better every time. Also, it can often be had for very cheap money in used record stores, although I was surprised to find the prices on-line to be a little closer to retail. You are looking for the two disc set (CD/DVD) in the slip case. I have never seen a copy of the DualDisc version. You can get one off eBay right now for $5 shipped!

There are also some nice stereo only bonus features including acoustic versions of the songs.

If you are a fan of the band by all means get this, and if not, check a sample of the songs (I like "For You") and if you like that than it is worth the effort to track it down.

Vote: 9

Just a quick heads up for anyone on the lookout for this one, or who have the CD already and are only after the surround, there was also a standalone DVD-A release;

Back