Comments Inspired by POLL: Grateful Dead - WORKINGMAN'S DEAD [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beljah

To Poll .png

This, "American Beauty", and the Doobie Bros.' "The Captain and Me" are prototypes for DVD-Audio discs, IMO. Also, the booklets that come w/ each of those titles are superb as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
mdphunk said:
I voted long ago, and generally try not to comment on discs like this on the forum (I think I'm waaaaaaaaay too biased, seeing as I'm probably one of the only Dead Heads on the board).

Your not alone I am at work at the moment listening to Dicks picks 35 while reading this.

I would like to see more multi-channel GD albums Anthem.. or Terrapin would be a good start !!

Yo, another Deadhead here... "Terrapin Station" would be stellar in surround! "Anthem of the Sun" would be pretty cool and freaky in surround, especially with its mixture of live and studio elements. These two are at the top of my list for GD albums to be mixed in surround. I'm not holding my breath, though...

Anthem would be cool...they could put the 4 different performances of "The Other One" that play simultaneously and put them around the room.

Personally, I would really love to hear "Blues For Allah" in 5.1...imagine a Help>Slip>Franklin's in surround!

Not to hijack the thread, but have you guys heard any of the dts matrixes of shows that have been put together recently? Good stuff...

Anthem would be cool...they could put the 4 different performances of "The Other One" that play simultaneously and put them around the room.

Personally, I would really love to hear "Blues For Allah" in 5.1...imagine a Help>Slip>Franklin's in surround!

Not to hijack the thread, but have you guys heard any of the dts matrixes of shows that have been put together recently? Good stuff...

Darn, I went to the Archive and they no longer have matrix shows for d/l. I missed out! The pages say available, but nooooo.

Airing a grievance…Preaching to the choir…Whatever you want to call it…

Just imagine if WB Japan had been smart and had put out this title as one of their SACDs instead of "The Doors", which became available on Multichannel SACD via Acoustic Sounds and isn't really Multichannel!

Plus since Mobile Fidelity released a stereo SACD of this, I doubt Audio Fidelity could get ahold of this one and reissue as one of their multichannel SACDs.

Shame, cause I bet it would make a beautiful surround SACD!

:(

(PS Sorry this is in a poll thread, but I couldn't find any other relevant threads dealing with this title.)

Point well made but the DVD Audio can be had for roughly 30 balloons on a good day. I do prefer American Beauty though.

Another good point. I have bid on it occasionally, but I've never really been that into stand-alone DVDAs.
Always love a CD to accompany it if at all possible.

But at least I have the Dual disc of "American Beauty" and I do enjoy it! :)

Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead [DVD Audio]
I haven't heard many or any of the Warner / Rhino DVD-As that I didn't like.
Btw, I didn't know these have been reissued???
Is this a legit product?
Looks fishy to me. I wouldn't buy it.

Thanks! The pictures were something that I really liked to seeing in other members' reviews when I first got started here. I know not everyone is into the whole waveform thing, but to me it's a very quick and easy way to see what kind of mix you're dealing with. Though every once in a while you do see waveforms that "lie" and don't look very discrete, but they actually are (good examples would be Alan Parsons' "Eye In The Sky" and Fleetwood Mac's "Sara").
Can you please point me to a link that explains the waveforms? I suppose each line is a channel (Fronts, center, bass, then rears?)

Both Dead DVD-As are must-haves for the collection. It's a miracle we even got them. Two of their best early albums.

See I like DVD-A discs - one can drop them into DVD-Audio Extractor, crack them open like an easter egg, and grab the assets like a kid in a candy store. One can open up the discs like a hot knife through butter. DVD-As are just so fun to collect and beautiful with those large cases and sound so darn great.

(there edited)

Last edited:
We are making a concerted effort to keep POLL threads clean. These comments as to availability or format generalities do not belong in this thread. Thanks for your cooperation, these will be moved shortly.

I agree with Timbre4 but want to concur with quickstarts comments about the two Dead DVDAs

This is a TEST; look back at the first post to toggle between this comments thread and the POLL thread. ;)
Graceful! Elegant! You've really gone above and beyond the call of moderator duty to facilitate our inability to keep the Poll Threads focused! Thank you for ALL you do! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Stepped this up a notch; plain text links can easily be missed so I built a couple graphics and then played with the size to not be obtrusive but also not missed.
If these are deemed good, I'll use them going forward in other POLL threads.

Back