Tell Me When The Whistle Blows??? Unwrapped??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
In listening to this track from Captain Fantastic (and looking at the wavs when making a DVD-A for the car) it seems that the center channel of this track is very similar to the other channels and not just the vocals like most of the other tracks. Anybody hear anything about this track being "unwrapped"? Sounds like it to me. The rest of the album seems fine (vocals and an occasional guitar or keyboard in the center but this one track seems to have most everything in the center.

And I quote from my comments about the Captain Fantastic SACD; The first 3 tracks are good and then everything goes into the crapper with "Tell Me When The Whistle Blows." Things get better with "Someone Saved My Life Tonight"

This would expalin why that track sounds so bad to me.

Bob Romano said:
In listening to this track from Captain Fantastic (and looking at the wavs when making a DVD-A for the car) it seems that the center channel of this track is very similar to the other channels and not just the vocals like most of the other tracks. Anybody hear anything about this track being "unwrapped"? Sounds like it to me. The rest of the album seems fine (vocals and an occasional guitar or keyboard in the center but this one track seems to have most everything in the center.

Hmm, I don't remember the mix on that track. I'll give it a listen.

I was curious if there had been any chatter about this odd mix so I searched and found this old thread. I decided to do some sleuthing and discovered the front left and right channels contain the unmodified stereo version. Instruments, placement, balance and effects are identical. Center channel would appear to be the full stereo mix summed to mono. So I expected the rears to contain just the reverb feed to complete a simple upmix (as was done for Marley’s “Could You Be Loved”) but no! Orchestra, guitar and drums sound discrete. In fact you can hear some subtle string bits that are inaudible in the stereo mix. Vocal, electric piano and percussion are just ghostly echoes and no bass or clavinet are present at all in rears. Strange. Were some of the individual tracks damaged or missing, preventing the possibility of a full mix? Anybody have any info on this?

Back