HiRez Poll Oasis - WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORY? [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Oasis - WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORY?

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

I like this disc a lot. Not just for the music (which I think is excellent, btw) but I think the mix is great for the music and the whole package sounds fantastic in hi-rez.

Wish I loved both the music and mix more...the mix is pretty good(though I still think it could be more creative than it is), but I've never been able to get past the faux-Beatles psychedelia, so self-conscious that even this mix can't save it. Definitely needs a joint of very potent Mexican to get me to raise the rating above a '6'......

ED :)

One of my favorite bands whether hi-rez, normal rez or whatever. Love the album, love the mix. I would give this one a 9

Not as bad as I was led to believe from some reviews on other boards. Some seem to compare this to that CCR hits SACD from Hong Kong. Sounds much better than the CD.

I had been wanting this disc for such a long time but held off due to the bad reviews. The same thing was true of the 'TOTO IV' disc (which I think is very good) but I ignored the reviews and got that one anyway which I am glad I did. When I finally got the Oasis disc though I was very disappointed.

I find most of the disc to have a horrible, muddy sound and the vocals are horrible on the majority of the tracks. Didn't find the mix inventive or to have added any extra punch to the music aswell. I grew up with this album during my last years at school so was really wanting this to sound great as I like the music on the disc quite a lot. But to me this is an SACD done badly. Can't imagine tape sounding any worse.

No disrespect to the people who like this disc but to me there must be two different versions of this disc on the market or some of the others here on QQ have set-ups that do not make this disc sound as bad as others. It is the worst sounding SACD I have and it is a shame to say that as I was really looking forward to this disc.

Good music, bad SACD.

4/10 (n)

I find most of the disc to have a horrible, muddy sound and the vocals are horrible on the majority of the tracks. Didn't find the mix inventive or to have added any extra punch to the music aswell. I grew up with this album during my last years at school so was really wanting this to sound great as I like the music on the disc quite a lot. But to me this is an SACD done badly. Can't imagine tape sounding any worse.

4/10 (n)

I have never heard this SACD, but most of the Oasis stuff on CD I have heard is horribly recorded, horribly mixed, and horribly mastered. Hard to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad.

I like this disc most when I play it loud...

She's Electric is just superb.

I got this disc recently in a "used" bin for less than $5, so I figured it would be worth the buy even if it isn't very highly rated because I have always liked the regular cd version of Morning Glory. In my opinion it's not a demo disc but it definitely has it's moments. Some tracks are much better than others. The first track definitely has "muddled" vocal tracks, but other songs (as previously mentioned "She's Electric" and "Cast No Shadow" to name a couple) sound much better. Overall a 6 for me.

Disappointed. Was looking for this for quite some time and finally found a copy in a local store. Way too much echo and little coherence - the elements don't sound 'integrated' at all. Thought it had a lot of potential from the stereo CD, but a lost opportunity. 3.

Pretty hard to rate this one; there are maybe three mixes here that show the true potential while the remaining songs exhibit that empty "are those things ON back there?" feeling of feeble mixing. There are a couple extremely cool surround effects that last for a few seconds and then you're WTF happened? Weighing it all out, I'll go a 5 on it.

This is one of the few discs in the HiRez poll that has votes of every value except '1'. What a wide range of votes. I wonder if, as someone noted above, that there were actually two versions of this disc.

Also, I notice that this disc is being offered on Amazon for $450+!!!! Yikes

Wow. And one copy in good condition for 50 bucks. I wonder what some sellers are thinking.
I got this for something below 50 bucks some time in 2011, mint condition...

I have to agree that the mix would be a 5, there's nothing special going on in this one. It's not too much of an upgrade when compared to the CD, but it does sound better and it's in MCH, so I'm happy. I agree, would be interesting to know whether there are different versions.

This is one of the few discs in the HiRez poll that has votes of every value except '1'. What a wide range of votes. I wonder if, as someone noted above, that there were actually two versions of this disc.

Also, I notice that this disc is being offered on Amazon for $450+!!!! Yikes

It always astounds me how people approach scoring here. Mixes gets 10's for the sheer act of existing sometimes.

It's been a while since I heard this, and I never put in my own score, so this got a 3 out of 10 for reasons already stated. This is "big stereo" to the core, and not even "good big stereo" like WYWH was.

What gets a "1?" If Daft Punk's "Discovery" is an actual retail mix, that'd be a "1" for me.

A lot of the Silverlines would be a 1 for me....bad content, bad mix, bad sonics....

It's been a while since I heard this, and I never put in my own score, so this got a 3 out of 10 for reasons already stated. This is "big stereo" to the core, and not even "good big stereo" like WYWH was.

To me, the obvious candidate for a definite "1" has to be the complete dogs dinner that Harry Malin made of "Station to Station".
Bloody awful mix, and the worst I have ever heard, bar none - and this is one of my all-time top 10 favourire albums (STS, not the Oasis one)

To me, the obvious candidate for a definite "1" has to be the complete dogs dinner that Harry Malin made of "Station to Station".
Bloody awful mix, and the worst I have ever heard, bar none - and this is one of my all-time top 10 favourire albums (STS, not the Oasis one)

I thought the "Ziggy" mix was pretty craptaculous as well but, yeah, you and I both agree STS was an abomination, and that one could have easily done better. :)

Even so, can someone confirm that the Daft Punk album really was a retail mix? If STS is a "1," then that would be a .5. It sounds like something run through a circa 2004 stereo-to-surround method with no regard whatsoever to artifacts.

Well, I finally got a copy of this disc. The funny thing is, I thought I had it all along, but I guess I either lost it or never had it. Age does that to you! :)

Anyway, my wife asked "Do you have Wonderwall in quad?", and so when I went to get it, and it wasn't there, I got it on ebay. ($90!!!)

I cued up Wonderwall into the PC, and listened to the playback. What a weird mix. It starts off fine, lead vocal, solo in the center, most of the tune in the front, and some stuff in the rear. Then it really gets odd in the center channel.

The lead vocal leaves the center for the fronts, the center gets the bass guitar, then later in the song, the response vocal "Maybe, Maybe" comes from the center(!!), and then the solo piano also finds it's place in the center.

The rears and fronts are kinda muddy sounding, and the whole thing just seems to be done strangely. I would have preferred the lead vocal to stay in the center, the response vocals in the rears, and a much more discrete mix for the instrumentations, but "maybe" they got the sound they were looking for, maybe not.

The audio is surely compressed, as no matter what volume I record the audio at, the wav forms for the fronts are flat topped.

Kinda sad, as this was a popular title, and a non-hybrid SACD, which probably ticked off a few buyers. I'll listen to the whole disc a few times and see what else they did.

The music is good, I'd give it an 8.

But the sonics are quite a mess. The recording quality is such that I'm not sure what the mix is really like as I listen to the wash of noise.
Morning Glory in 5.1 sounds like a completely different recording, I wonder if it's an alternate take.

Overall score : 5

I too really like this album, but the sacd makes my ears bleed. It's one of the worst one's out there IMHO...A missed opportunity for sure.

Back