HiRez Poll Steely Dan - TWO AGAINST NATURE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Steely Dan - TWO AGAINST NATURE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-465956-1199567646.jpeg.jpg

R-465956-1199567667.jpeg.jpg

I really liked this one when it first came out. There are a few great tunes on it, however, after living without it for a while, going back was not so great, I prefer "Everything Must Go", which I know is the opposite of most as well as a run on sentance. :D

A combo of the best tracks of these two "new" Dan DVD-A's would be killer!

I bought this one and listened to it a couple of times, then sold it. Glad i heard it but that was enough for me. I didn't like the use of the different lead instruments on some songs. Guess i am just too used to hearing the studio versions of those songs. I vote 6. I would rather hear any other Steely Dan instead.

I didnt really like Gaucho too much so I wasn't hoping for too much here. Well, I was right. I liked this one even less that Gaucho. It sounds great but I just don't like the songs. 9 for sound 6 for songs. Everything Must Go was the return of Steely Dan for me!! A much better album in my opinion.

To my ears, easily the equal of Gaucho or Fagan's Kamakiriad - - both of which currently in the 9's on the overall standings.

Bob Romano said:
I didnt really like Gaucho too much so I wasn't hoping for too much here. Well, I was right. I liked this one even less that Gaucho. It sounds great but I just don't like the songs. 9 for sound 6 for songs. Everything Must Go was the return of Steely Dan for me!! A much better album in my opinion.
Agree 100%. I just can't get into this one, but love Everything.....

I gave this recording a nine, Steely Dan recordings no matter what your interest in the band, are some of the cleanest in any musical genre.
I just wish there were more rock and jazz-rock multi-channel selections to choose from...

Happy MCA Listening.

Nic

This album was recorded specifically for 5.1. These guys know what they are doing when it comes to dvda.

Used to love Steely Dan, but this all just sounds so redundant. Not engaging at all to me. Too disappointing! I'd just give it a 5.
Quadgirl

I've only just picked this disc up, and am listening again right now as I type this.
It's not quite a perfect 10 - it gets a 9 from me, and this album is a great example of how my listening habits have changed dramatically since High Res multichannel was introduced - I would (and I do not know why) have never even considered this before M/C, and that was my loss.
The musicianship is quite simply outstanding - just superb in terms of the recording & the execution. I am in awe of their ability.

The mix itself is pure Scheiner - which is to say the listener is given the impression of being in the room with the band, and the quality is as if they are actually playing in the same room it's that good.

Highly recommended.

I get the impression that there are two different DVD editions of this and I guess that one is a DVD-Audio and the other a DVD-Video. Can anyone confirm this? Should I buy with caution?

I get the impression that there are two different DVD editions of this and I guess that one is a DVD-Audio and the other a DVD-Video. Can anyone confirm this? Should I buy with caution?

Yes there are 2 versions with the same title. I have both. If you want the full track listing from the album get the DVD-A. The DVD-V is in DTS and does not have all the Two Against Nature tracks. It has some of them plus older "hits". Kind of a "studio concert". It does have a great version of "Babylon Sisters" and "FM" on it though. On second thought, get both.............

Yes there are 2 versions with the same title. I have both. If you want the full track listing from the album get the DVD-A. The DVD-V is in DTS and does not have all the Two Against Nature tracks. It has some of them plus older "hits". Kind of a "studio concert". It does have a great version of "Babylon Sisters" and "FM" on it though. On second thought, get both.............

I concur - get both. The DVD-A is the studio album in surround, and the DVD-V is an intimate concert VERY well done.

I am feeling generous, so I gave it a 7, mainly because of the good recording.
The music is tired, contrived and well below their older standards. Cousin Dupree and the last track are worthy in my view, the rest I see as fillers. It makes Gaucho feel very good. Hell, even 'Everything must go' feels good in comparison.

I wish they redo the older albums in surround and stop spending energy in new material. The inspiration just isn't there anymore.

great music I like Cousin dupree especially.

Comming late to the Steely Dan table but quite enjoying the surround experiance.
I always used to think that they were a tad boring !! but they have grown on me over time.:)

Now where to find 'Everything must go' DVDA without mortgading my house to get it !!!:mad:@:

Last edited:
great music I like Cousin dupree especially.

Comming late to the Steely Dan table but quite enjoying the surround experiance.
I always used to think that they were a tad boring !! but they have grown on me over time.:)

Now where to find 'Everything must go' DVDA without mortgading my house to get it !!!:mad:@:

I see what you mean - just looked in Amazon UK, and the cheapest is £40 up to £90 for the most expensive!
That's $80 to $180. And they are used. EEK.

Love the Dan (and Fagen) offerings. All are 10's in my mind, all sound superb. Try finding one for sale.

I see what you mean - just looked in Amazon UK, and the cheapest is £40 up to £90 for the most expensive!
That's $80 to $180. And they are used. EEK.

If you're still after this one www.hmv.co.jp often have it in stock - just got my copy yesterday. Japanese edition too with all the usual bells and whistles that entails.

Cheers,

Simon

Back