HiRez Poll T. Rex - ELECTRIC WARRIOR [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of T. Rex - ELECTRIC WARRIOR

• Total voters
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Well, first off being a major fan of Marc Bolan and the music of T-Rex, my expections were high! This DVD-A doesn't disappoint at all. I think the mix by Tony is on the money.

Last edited:
Well, first off being a major fan of Marc Bolan and the music of T-Rex, my expections were high! This DVD-A doesn't disappoint at all. I think the mix by Tony is on the money.

Visconti seems to be getting a bit more adventurous as the Bowie titles were more "progressive" in the mix. Have not dug this out for a while, but i remember it being a very dull mix.

I had forgotten I even had this disc. The SACD was given to me for my birthday years before I even had an SACD player. Once I finally played it, I have to admit, I was rather disappointed. Pretty tame use of the surrounds - I was expecting more. Wasn't hoping for anything gimmicky, just a little better spread of the individual parts. I gave it a 6, good content (not great, I only REALLY enjoy 3 songs) but the mix left me wanting more.

On the scope, most of the songs are tri-phonic. Wide fronts, mono rear.

As stated in the booklet (and by a few of you) the mix was intended to keep in line with the
original mix but with surround sweetening, and not a re-mix for surround.
I have both the SACD and the DVD-A and the mixes appear to be identical.
Oh yeah... and I love this record and always have.
The DVD-A does have a neat video of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)" though
I wished they'd have added a few bonus tracks like "Hot Love" and "Ride A White Swan"
to "sweeten" it a bit more! :D
I gave it a 9.

-B

Like Bolan's guitar playing this mix is tasteful, but not indulgent. I would agree with the mix is not too adventurous, but is right for the music. Great album!

Mix/Sonics.: 8
Music: 8.5

Only just realised I had not voted on this one - it gets a 9 for the music & a 7 for the mix, getting a solid 8 in total.
It's not very aggressive, but it's not a blandout either and as posted above really suits the record. What still amazes me is that it sounds fresh 40 years later, and could have been recorded last year (as does "The Slider", another that should have had the 5.1 treatment.
Solid work from Tony Visconti, I feel.

I'm curious if the DVD-A includes a 2.0 stereo mix? If so, is it considered the best available or is there another reissue on disc I should consider purchasing instead?

I'll go 6 for this. Bang a Gong is great. Most of the rest for me is forgettable. I have the DVD-A.
T-Rex+%2F+Tyrannosaurus+Rex+-+Electric+Warrior+-+DIGITAL+AUDIO+TAPE-423697.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!oQFHdhLeptzBSB!C)Btzg~~60_35.JPG

There is also a 2ch only Japan SHM-SACD, which is not reviewed in this poll:
T-Rex+%2F+Tyrannosaurus+Rex+-+Electric+Warrior+-+SHM+CD-544078.jpg

I did consider ordering the SACD-SHM but would probably rather have the DVD-A. If it's not too much trouble, can you check and see if it's 5.1 only or also includes a hi rez stereo mix? My goal is to collect and listen to all the WB/Rhino DVD-A releases once I'm able to find either sealed or almost new copies for reasonable prices. I sent you a email or PM in the past concerning a sealed copy of "Workingman's Dead" but you had already sold out.:( If you get more in the future please LMK. Thanks….

I did consider ordering the SACD-SHM but would probably rather have the DVD-A. If it's not too much trouble, can you check and see if it's 5.1 only or also includes a hi rez stereo mix?

The back of the T Rex dvd-audio case says advanced resolution stereo 192khz/24bit (the advanced resolution 5.1 is 96khz).

The back of the T Rex dvd-audio case says advanced resolution stereo 192khz/24bit (the advanced resolution 5.1 is 96khz).

Thanks… So far the only sealed copy I've located is around $125.

I didn't forget about comparing Stones and hopefully will have time to take care of that this weekend.

It does indeed, but this is not correct.
According to DVD-Audio Extractor it's 24/96, and that will be correct as it reads the IFO files in the AUDIO_TS.

Why do our colonial cousins get track names wrong? I know it's printed on the cover as "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" but is correctly just "Get It On".
And the answer is:
"Get It On" is a song by the British glam rock group T. Rex, featured on their 1971 album Electric Warrior. Written by frontman Marc Bolan, "Get It On" was the second chart-topper for T. Rex on the UK Singles Chart. In the United States, the song was retitled "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" to avoid confusion with a song of the same name by the group Chase.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_It_On_(T._Rex_song)

This DVD-A rekindled fond memories from a distant youth.

For my vote I considered the following:

Music - 7. Unique engaging songs, cohesive band. Interesting vocals. Standout is Bang a Gong
Fidelity - 8. Cleanly recoded, a bit weak in low bass.
Surround mix - 7. Cohesive but conservative. Good separation of individual instruments and vocals across the front. Very little in the surround channels. A missed opportunity, especially on BAG.

Net vote: 7

I purchased this T. Rex LP when it first came out and have always liked the it. I'm not a fan of "Glam" rock, but Marc Bolan used that genre as a launching pad for a very personal and unique sound (the original Tyrannosaurus Rex, like Queen on their first couple of albums, explored fantasy and fairy tale themes).

Visconti's surround mix is conservative, but is a good fit for the thick, monolithic guitar sound that dominates the majority of tracks. The DVD-A sounds superior to the vinyl and the CD issues I've heard.

I give it a solid 8 for audio quality and songs. It just misses a 9 due to the lack of a more adventurous surround.

(Old thread!!!)

Don't have the DVD-A but I do have the multi SACD (German) . . . I don't find it that discrete. Not bad, just not great (that said, I'm happy to have it!).

I much prefer the Japanese "SA-CD SHM" for quality of sound -- "Cosmic Dancer" in particular sounds superb! I've read elsewhere that the original UK tapes have degraded compared to a West Coast USA copy. Not sure which is used for which. . . .

Back