HiRez Poll Harris, Emmylou - PRODUCER'S CUT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Emmylou Harris - PRODUCER'S CUT

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Harris Producer Front.jpgHarris Producer Back.jpg

Last edited:
Great music, not a great surround mix, but it does sound better than stereo. I give it a 9. I like it a lot.

I listened to this once or twice and then sold it. I didn't personally care for the music so obviously the disc sucks. I gave it a 2.

Just kidding!

Seriously, the music ain't necessarily my cup-o-tea but everything about this disc shines. Emmylou's voice, the production, the surround mix, all of this contributes to an absolutely wonderful disc. A whole-hearted 10 rating from me!

A '9'....not an adventurous mix, but perfectly fitting for Emmylou's style. The more you dig her music, the more you'll dig this disc. Works for me, but even I'll admit there is nothing terribly exciting going on...but nice choice of songs, very warm vibe emanates from this collection.

ED

This is a very good production. I might have picked a better selection of songs for this release but I have always liked her singing style and we may not see another DVD-A compilation from her so I picked it up. There are better compilations of her songs but no better sounding disc I am aware of. Although I am not a country music fan, I now have several female country singers in surround and like the music so much better this way. I gave this one an 8. Better songs and it would have been a 9.

Chris

Every song is a keeper. And yes, the mix is not very exciting, but it is extremely pleasant to sit, listen, and enjoy. Excellent mastering, the best sounding digital disc in her catalog.

I gave this one an 8 overall but there are a few standout tracks. Leaving Louisiana featuring The Band is very nice, as well as The Last Cheater's Waltz to name a few. But to me, Sorrow in the Wind is the demo track on this disc. Emmy's vocals in the front and the White's in the rears is an aural delight. Pick this one up before they are all gone. Would have gotten a higher mark if not for the fact that on some of the songs there is not a lot going on surround-wise. Overall, very nice production from beginning to end.

well, I reckoned it was time I finally unwrapped this one from its cellophane, so i could rate it for QQ!

yes, I never even opened this one.. until now.

in fact, I only bought it cos it was cheap and still sealed and had intentions of flipping it or trading it.. but as there's nothing I desperately want or need at the mo, I just thought what the heck, open Emmylou up and see what you make of her.

well, I've resisted drifting off into a coma.. barely.
maybe her brand of country just isn't my thing.

it all sounds lovely enough, her vocals are crisp, clean and clear from the centre and the front L/R and the piano and guitar licks are very nicely recorded, plus there's odd wee synths/strings and things going on round the back a bit.. but... its just all a bit twee and samey.. and boring.

some things are best left in their cellophane.
ah well, not much point it sitting there on the shelf unopened forever eh?

I'm giving Emmylou a generous "6".

While on the subject of Harris, Emmylou the Gram Parsons GP SACD is shipping now ... and yes it's only 2 channel.

I've been listening to EmmyLou since about 1974/75 when she played as the opening act for Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty in Edmonton, Canada. I swear there was more applause for her than there was for them. I know i was making a pile of noise. She was the perfect musical antidote to a lot of the overwrought crap that was going around at the time. Like a cold drink of water on a hot day.

Anyway it was delightful to hear some of her stuff in surround and even better to hear Brian Ahern talk about what they were trying to do. As a guy who knows her catalogue pretty well i would have made some other song choices from the Brian Ahern years but I do love the smooth gimmick free mix so a strong 9 from me.

An excellent country surround sound disc. Enjoyable from beginning to end. Always liked that Poncho and Lefty number done by the Hwymen, and her version is just as good.. Good disc if you are looking for something different. You can only listen to SW and PT for so long lol.

This is gorgeous. I've enjoyed Emmylou's voice in harmony, as support for many other artists' records over the years. This is my first Emmylou album.
Cool songs. Wonderful, pleasant sound. Tasteful mix.
8.5 rounded up from El Bags

This is gorgeous. I've enjoyed Emmylou's voice in harmony, as support for many other artists' records over the years. This is my first Emmylou album.
Cool songs. Wonderful, pleasant sound. Tasteful mix.
8.5 rounded up from El Bags

BTW, EB, it was produced by Steve Woolard who was responsible for the Chicago Quadio boxset and this compilation was especially assembled for DVD~Audio.

BTW, EB, it was produced by Steve Woolard who was responsible for the Chicago Quadio boxset and this compilation was especially assembled for DVD~Audio.

Steve Woolard is listed under Project Assistance. The album was produced by Brian Ahern. Ahern was born in Nova Scotia and produced many albums for Anne Murray and Harris. He was given the Lifetime Achievement Award for Producer/Engineer by the Americana Music Association in 2010.

Ordered for $20 plus shipping. Thanks again QQ!
I feel like a Ferengi in acquisition mode....

She sings like a canary.

Beautiful,captivating, emotional, thoughtful and just too good not to listen to.

This is a 9 just for that reason!!

Oh and there is a nice mix too!!

This one gets a solid 9.

Sounds great and I enjoy the music (beerking sums it up perfectly). While the mix is very appropriate for the music, I'm always partial to adventurous mixes, so -1 for the mix.

My father says the last track, 'Old Rugged Cross' with Johnny Cash is the best version he's ever heard.

Back