HiRez Poll Bowie, David - HEATHEN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of David Bowie - HEATHEN

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-1970277-1387807337-8264.jpeg.jpg

R-1970277-1387807345-8701.jpeg.jpg

Tony Vicsonti did a great job with the surround mix. There's plenty of action that stays within the theme and overall tone of the music. "Heathen" contains some of Bowie's better works in years---not that I'm a Bowie expert, but it is rather easy to hear even for a casual fan like me. There's just enough "welcoming warmth" to the recording that I can't complain. In fact, I only went with a 9 instead of a 10 because the album is a little bit on the long side.

for me, the best Bowie surround mix - and I've got them all..!

it trounces the Ken Scott 5.1 Ziggy SACD and is even better than the Young Americans 5.1. I love Visconti's active surround mix on the latters' DVDV, so in my book thats a tall order.

the album itself is excellent too, much prefer it to Reality.

there are four really nice bonus tracks ("hidden" in as much as the back cover makes no mention of them and the booklet is just the same as the redbook, as is common on Sony/Columbia SACDs). all the bonus tracks are in 5.1, couple very string heavy and all as strong as the album tracks, round off a really great disc, that I'm so happy to have - at last! I'll be playing this a lot!

A"9".

I love this album & this mix...worth $60 I paid...Gave this 10

I'm so in love with this album and mix.
I'm intrigued by Adam's mention of bonus tracks!
And sho' nuff, my essay see Dee has 16 tracks!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?
Too emotional to vote, but this is somewhere between 10 and 17...
So cool of Bowie to update several of his earliest songs and covers for this title.
Reminds me of someone else I know... :mad:@:

Wow this is a great mix and not sure why not many people have voted??

Got it about a month ago, have heard the cd before and liked it, but...................this opens up the whole shhhhaaaahbang - Visconti did a great job with the mix and brings the music to life.

Granted there is some schlock on this release about 2 to 4 songs, of 16 - but even those songs are good enough just to hear the 5.1.

The drums and bass are prominent for sure - Bowie's voice is frontcentric which Snood loves :banana:

Very very nice surround experience.

Giving it a 9 - if you are a Bowie fan ya need this - If you are a Surround fan you should want this (hopefully when it comes down in price some)

Please don't expect Let's Dance or anything real radio friendly here............there are a lot of catchy kooo tunes for sure tho - but the surround is highly Snooderific :51banana

My guess is that the outrageous prices for this SACD are keeping people (myself included) from acquiring it, hence why there might not be as many reviews or votes for this one.

Just figured for it coming out in 2003 and it probably back then being easily attainable...........mighta been more listens and opinions and word of mouth - yeah nowadays it is easily 70 bux or more.

Easy 10 from me, I wouldn't call the mix better than Young American's but I will call it equal. SACD format is great. Excellent sound quality. Pretty simple vote for me. Can't believe someone gave it such a low mark.

Back