HiRez Poll Gaye, Marvin - THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Marvin Gaye - THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION

• Total voters
Okay - gouging was the wrong word. Fair comment.
I guess I should have paid more attention too. Then I would not have ended up with 2 copies.
Still - one will make a nice present for a friend with a birthday coming up I guess, so it's not a waste.
I just wish it had been given the same title & Artwork, 'cos as it stands it looks like a different album. As it is, you really think it is a new title and not the same thing repackaged.

Well, I'd still think that anyone who'd bought the original DTS version (sorry, I mistakenly called it "SACD" in my previous post) would have looked at the new one - despite the new artwork and swapped track listing - and realized it was the same collection. There aren't that many songs on it, and they were all pretty sizable hits. The original isn't something I listen to on a regular basis (maybe only three or four times since I bought it three years ago), but as soon as I saw the track listing for the new one, I immediately realized it was just a repackaging of Forever Yours.

I just have a really hard time understanding how anyone could have got fooled into thinking this was a "new" collection. :mad:@:

I had the DVD-A first, and saw the DTS disc online.
I just went for it without looking too closely, as I had seen another Marvin Gaye multichannel album on play.com.
It looked like a new album. After all - the title is different, the sleeve is different and it's on a different label.
Stupidly I thought it actually was different.

dprokopy said:
I just have a really hard time understanding how anyone could have got fooled into thinking this was a "new" collection. :mad:@:

A little understanding is sometimes a good thing. Not everyone is such a keen observational wizard. I purchased the DVD-A online after already owning the DTS CD and I did not pay much attention to the track listing. I thought they were different until I received the DVD-A in the mail. I do remember a nagging thought as to why another Marvin Gaye surround collection had come out, but I didn't pay too much attention to that thought either. Not that it matters, since I would have purchased both anyway. I'm the kind of sucker that record companies love.

I guess I just don't get how anyone would buy something "blind" like that, without even checking the track listing, particularly if the thought struck them that it was interesting that a second surround collection from the same artist was coming out. I'd think you'd at least want to check and see what was on it before just buying it.

Now, if they'd released the same collection and called it something like What's Going On or Let's Get It On or the title of an already-existing album, I could understand getting suckered into "accidentally" buying it, thinking it was buying something totally different.

I guess I've just never actually bought any album - ever - without actually seeing what was on it first. :)

dprokopy said:
I guess I just don't get how anyone would buy something "blind" like that, without even checking the track listing...
I do it all the time. I don't expect you to "get it". We all have different music buying patterns. I'm sorry that mine are not as sophisticated as yours. Thanks for trying to understand.

When I saw the reshuffled track listing--and that's all it is, it turns out--figured they probably were the same mixes too, though would have been mighty interesting had they been entirely redone.

All the same, the DVD-A is an improvement to these ears over the DTS....it is very clean, so if, like me, you always preferred the original mono mixes of the hits, very disconcerting(though enjoyable)at times. It's nice to hear this material as clean as it can be before all the tweaking that went into the mono, not to mention the adjustments(sometimes not so welcome)with the original stereo mixes, which were often kinda wonky.

My only regret is that there are not more tracks....I'm a greedy guy!

ED

This disc has gotten better with subsequent plays. I would rate it a 9 today rather than the 8 I gave it when it was one of my first high resolution surround recordings since further purchases have found very few discs better. Yourmusic.com still has the SACD for $5.99 but who knows how much longer if you don't already own this one. I doubt this will ever drop out of my top ten surround mixes and whoever did this sure knows what they are doing. Mr. Gaye deserves some credit as well, an incredible talent. The Motown way of making popular songs just doesn't get enough praise. Great musicians, great arrangements and talented vocalists as background singers and it was no surprise the label was such a success. I need to find "Midnight Love" to see if it is comparable.

Chris

Chris Gerhard said:
This disc has gotten better with subsequent plays. I would rate it a 9 today rather than the 8 I gave it when it was one of my first high resolution surround recordings since further purchases have found very few discs better. Yourmusic.com still has the SACD for $5.99 but who knows how much longer if you don't already own this one. I doubt this will ever drop out of my top ten surround mixes and whoever did this sure knows what they are doing. Mr. Gaye deserves some credit as well, an incredible talent. The Motown way of making popular songs just doesn't get enough praise. Great musicians, great arrangements and talented vocalists as background singers and it was no surprise the label was such a success. I need to find "Midnight Love" to see if it is comparable.

Chris

The 5.1 Surround Sound mix on Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love was done by the same guy who did the 5.1 Surround mix of Genuwine's SACD. Both are very well done and make extensive use of the surround channels. Highly recommended !

This is a fantastic disk! It makes me want to hear more classic motown stuff mixed in surround!

What really jumps out is just how well this music lends it self to surround. Even the early stuff like "Ain't That Peculiar" sounds fantastic.

A 10 all the way!

This is a fantastic disk! It makes me want to hear more classic motown stuff mixed in surround!

What really jumps out is just how well this music lends it self to surround. Even the early stuff like "Ain't That Peculiar" sounds fantastic.

A 10 all the way!

I wholeheartedly agree! This is one of my favorites.:)

I played my SACD a couple of days ago, I still love this disc and it is definitely in the top 5 in terms of play for me.

Chris

The MLP Surround mix is at 24/44.1 yet the Stereo mix is at 24/96 - I wonder why this might be?
This is just a wild guess, but I think the 24/44.1 multichannel option is derived from the uncompressed 20-bit 44.1kHz multitrack master that DTS made for their DTS-CD (so the m/c is not true 24-bit res). There is also mention of "20-bit mastering" somewhere in the liner notes, and also a special thanks to DTS even though there is no lossy DTS listening option on the disc. Looks like Universal just licensed the masters.

I really like this disc, although the "Let's Get It On" DVD-A is much better, sonically. The mixes in Collection are playful and work well, although they may be a little too playful for some (I dug 'em). I did notice some noise reduction was used, sometimes glaringly so during the fadeouts - my only big beef with this disc and my reason to knock my rating from 8 to 7. All the top end just disappears as the songs fade. There is nothing wrong with tape hiss - that should be rule #2 after YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE LOUD. Fortunately, however, the songs proper don't sound as affected by "no-noised" fadeouts.

I played my SACD a couple of days ago, I still love this disc and it is definitely in the top 5 in terms of play for me.

Chris

It's very well done. They took the Surround Sound mix done for the DTS edition and used the uncompressed master tapes for the 5.1 Surround Sound SACD edition.

A nice step up from the DTS Music disc.

There is nothing wrong with tape hiss - that should be rule #2 after YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE LOUD. Fortunately, however, the songs proper don't sound as affected by "no-noised" fadeouts.
Right Felix. A good example of your point is the Music From Big Pink dvd-audio. The hiss just pours off "The Weight" when the song starts but when that big bass sound kicks in it kicks true and real.

I just listened to this yesterday, and I thought it sounded great. The surround mix was aggressive and I'm sure it pisses off the purists. Especially, "Ain't No Mountain" - Gaye's voice is in the front and Tammy what's-her-face is in the rears. To me, that's a statement that Gaye is really the lead singer in this song and the woman is a counterpoint to him.

But I like aggressive mixes and this one sounds great considering its age.

I Especially, "Ain't No Mountain" - Gaye's voice is in the front and Tammy what's-her-face is in the rears.

That is Tammi Terrell and she had the face of an angel, but tragically died of a brain tumor at 24. She collapsed on stage in Marvin Gaye's arms on one occassion before the diagnosis according to Wikipedia. I don't recall that, but do recall her too brief life.

Chris

I'd never heard her singing (or of her) before I got this album. She's good and goes well with Marvin but I dig Marvin's voice so much more. I'm learning to enjoy her too. Great disc and seems to be a one-of-a-kind in the high rez 5.1 world catalog. Or is there another Motown recording out there?

That is Tammi Terrell and she had the face of an angel, but tragically died of a brain tumor at 24. She collapsed on stage in Marvin Gaye's arms on one occassion before the diagnosis according to Wikipedia. I don't recall that, but do recall her too brief life.

Chris

Sorry. Didn't mean to disrespect her. I just didn't recall her name while writing my first post.

Back