HiRez Poll Linkin Park - Reanimation [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Linkin Park - REANIMATION

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2002 DVD-Audio release on WB from Linkin Park. (n):phones(y)

Linkin Park 400.jpg

Not really my cup of tea musically, but I love it in small doses. Excellent surround mix and sonics however.

I really, really like this title! The opening track blows me away every time I hear it. Excellent mix, excellent sonics, and very powerful, well-crafted techno-metal. The disc does wear thin towards the end, but overall extremely enjoyable. I give it a 9.

I gave this a 9 as well. I have listened to a couple other Linkin Parks since hearing this one and have yet to find anything close to this one. The mix is the most aggressive one I own.

Content wise I have grown to enjoy this much more than I ever expected.

Excellent in every way. The first 10 I have given on any of the albums reviewed thus far. Not the kind of music I normally listen to, however, the multi-channel presentation compliments the music and makes this a must have disc.

One of my all time favorite Hi Rez discs. I particularly like how the menus are set up so you can select the videos from the songs, or select them separately. The album Meteora appears to be surround encoded as well.

I love this disc! Tons of "wow" factor in the mix.

"Reanimation" was my first Linkin Park album. I bought the album without really knowing much about Linkin Park's music. Turns out I like this fusion of rap, rock, and electonica---at least the way they've done it. I've now bought their previous release "Hybrid Theory" on CD and "Meteora" on CD. I've yet to get their new collaboration with rapper Jay Z. Still... I'd like to see any of these other albums turn up on multi-channel DVD-Audio.

On the merits of this disk I bought their collaboration with Jay z and I think its crap. So, if anyone wants it PM me and we can work out a very reasonable offer.

This disk gets a 10+. It is the disk I use when demonstrating to guests the capabilities of surround music. I picked this up based on the review in Sound & Vision (Jan. 2003, p. 126), where Ken Richardson indicates, “… if anyone in your neighborhood is playing Linkin Park’s Reanimation, you will hear it.” It is one of the few albums that my wife (and regulator) encourages me to turn it up. It is best heard on a system that has 5 full range speakers.

This is a remix/re-sampling of their previous album, Hybrid Theory, and the songs I’ve heard from that album, I don’t really care for. In those songs Chester’s vocals are too forward, shrill and full of teen angst for me. Reanimation is all about the 5.1 mix of the music, and what you get is about 5.9 channels, because this will test your subwoofer, and the integrity of your dwelling.

My favorite track is 1stp Klosr, in which the bass rumbles throughout the room and the surrounds are fully active. This track is always the finale, when I introduce someone to surround, because it just doesn’t get better than this…

(If you like this disk, try The Refused: Shape of Punk to Come. It’s a bit more punk, but the surround mix is just as engaging.)

I bought this one because of the comments I read here - no other reason.

And having just gone through the whole disc a couple of times, I am glad that I did. Very well presented disc and grabs attention right from the opening from that little string section - which I did not expect!
As already posted, it's a very aggressive mix with full use of the 5 channels. The only downsides for me are twofold.
1/. The hiRes is 24/48, as it is with the PT disc. Okay, I'm still in two minds about this - some days I think that 96KHz is worthwhile, other times I do not. That is a different debate.
2/. No DTS version in the Video_TS.

Apart from those minor gripes, this is a fine disc and I can commend it to all.

neil wilkes said:
I bought this one because of the comments I read here - no other reason.
SNIP
1/. The hiRes is 24/48, as it is with the PT disc. Okay, I'm still in two minds about this - some days I think that 96KHz is worthwhile, other times I do not. That is a different debate.
SNIP
Apart from those minor gripes, this is a fine disc and I can commend it to all.

Surly if the recording was only made in 48/24 PCM then there is no point in upsampelling as you have the recording at the optimum bit rates.

I Know that some of the best sounding DVD-A I have were recorded at these bit depths, Only because its written in the sleeve notes. I dont believ that some of the early digital recordings were made at any more a bit rate than that. Granted if its an analog source then it is better to try and sample at the best available rates, but if the data is missing already then why try and fill the holes take the non interventionist aproach.

Like 99% of the music, and really like several of the tracks. As mentioned above, "1stp Klosr" is a giggly blast to listen to with its omninous and over-the-top music & 5.1 mixing style. DON'T play this for people that are easily disturbed. :D

Awesome mix, very aggressive. Even the center channel includes rumbly low bass frequencies. Your sub will get a major workout!

This was mastered by Bob Ludwig, so no surprise it also sounds good. Not bright at all on my system, and I'm able to turn it up to ridiculous levels and not have my ears ringing afterwards.

The three music videos, with 5.1 or 2.0 tracks, are actually worth watching multiple times - amazing! (most dvd-a videos stink). The additonal making-of video is O.K. And the custom remixed music of several of the animated menus' soundtracks are good enough to be standalone tracks.

I use this disc to show younger people what surround is all about and while now they think this music is "old" (it came out in 2002) the majority have agreed listening this way is cool. So far four of those people have bought a copy after hearing it.

Not really a hip-hop kind of guy, but I just pulled this out and was playing it loud in my Acura, and I realized that maybe I *am* a hip-hop kind of guy. At least when it is put in surround as good as this. Definitely a 10, I just need to play it more often.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other surround discs that are at or near this level? I bought OutKast Stankonia and was very disappointed...

The surround mix is a 10, but I just can't get into this music. I tried to no avail, but i just hate it. I won't pan it just because I don't like hip hop.

I would suggest Nine inch nails over this. Ghosts sound great--along the lines of bass communion, but I actually like it better.

NIN--year zero, the slip, downward spiral, with teeth, all above average and aggressive surround mixes.

I'll have to try The Downward Spiral again...I listened to it once and couldn't get past the music.

That's been one of the unexpected benefits of a small offering of DVD-Audio discs...I try kinds of music that I wouldn't necessarily have bought on CD. NIN, Porcupine Tree, Linkin Park, hell, even The Carpenters!

I'll have to try The Downward Spiral again...I listened to it once and couldn't get past the music.

That's been one of the unexpected benefits of a small offering of DVD-Audio discs...I try kinds of music that I wouldn't necessarily have bought on CD. NIN, Porcupine Tree, Linkin Park, hell, even The Carpenters!

I 'm the same way, I've expanded greatly

Try Year Zero--downward spiral is hard to swallow, I don't listen to that one much

Back