HiRez Poll Alice in Chains - GREATEST HITS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Alice in Chains - GREATEST HITS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

The music is 10 all the way, but the surround mix is sorely lacking. Another title that should have been great but ends up limp. A terrible missed opportunity here. I gave it a 6.

I own both the CD and SACD versions. One evening I compared the multi-channel SACD with the stereo CD version (running through a DPL2 processor with panorama turned on). I was a little bit surprised at the differences I could hear between the two mixes. I say surprised because I've never been overly impressed with the Alice In Chains SACD; I figured it would sound pretty close to a CD running through DPL2. That's definitely not the case. I'd say the SACD sounds fuller---and better overall. Still... the SACD isn't exactly reference material. I gave it a 5.

Music wise=8...

Sound wise it's a nice souding disc but the mix could use a little more oomph in the surround department. =6

Over all = 7

I own both the CD and SACD versions. One evening I compared the multi-channel SACD with the stereo CD version (running through a DPL2 processor with panorama turned on). I was a little bit surprised at the differences I could hear between the two mixes. I say surprised because I've never been overly impressed with the Alice In Chains SACD; I figured it would sound pretty close to a CD running through DPL2. That's definitely not the case. I'd say the SACD sounds fuller---and better overall. Still... the SACD isn't exactly reference material. I gave it a 5.

Not my kind of music, but this disc was as must-have because of two tracks that I love: Man In The Box and No Excuses. Melodic dissonance hooks at their best. Despite the so-so surround sound mix, I agree that the 5.1 SACD sounds a lot better than the redbook CD played in pseudo surround. I had given it a 7 overall way back when.

The music is 10 all the way, but the surround mix is sorely lacking. Another title that should have been great but ends up limp. A terrible missed opportunity here. I gave it a 6.

Same here. Alice is one of my favorite bands of all time, but the mix itself is pretty disappointing. I agree with your 6/10.

Some of the other grunge mixes are pretty good though. Core is good. The 2 Soundgarden mixes are actually really nice!

ok, let's put this on...

Massive guitar riffs! - awesome!!
Iiiimmm the man in the box! - wow, this sounds great! Best I've ever heard this album!

Buri-ed in - my PIT!!

WTF??!!

Had a good time blasting this with the Mrs. just now. No, not an audiophile experience, but the best we've heard AiC.
A missed opportunity for more discreteness, sure. But this disc has muscle!
Plenty of surround moments, to my taste.
Backing and even lead vocals, guitar overdubs and sometimes solos.
Drum accents.

Had a good time blasting this with the Mrs. just now. No, not an audiophile experience, but the best we've heard AiC.
A missed opportunity for more discreteness, sure. But this disc has muscle!
Plenty of surround moments, to my taste.
Backing and even lead vocals, guitar overdubs and sometimes solos.
Drum accents.

I remember this mch SACD getting trashed over at the old SA~CD.net and I treated mine, dampered it, put it into my OPPO and it sounded GREAT. Mike, maybe you could do one of your video 'chats' on SACDs that did get trashed but sound reasonably great through a decent sound system. I know, I raised some eyebrows recently when I admitted to LOVING the Bruce Springsteen Live in NYC mch SACD. To be sure, there was applause and ambience in the rear channels, but cranked up, it really sounds quite good...at times even GREAT. Of course there are a few mch SACDs like Ozzfest and George Harrison's Live in Japan that are real duds but I always felt that most SACDs with a little TLC sounded relatively good [or else they wouldn't be chosen for that format in the first place].

Hey gang, if you like this release enough, definitely check out the DVD Music Bank with all the videos - same mixes, different mastering (yes, it's only Dolby Digital), but most importantly there are songs that are not included on the SACD (or anywhere else): e.g. Sea Of Sorrow, What The Hell Have I, Down In A Hole or Get Born Again.
R-1476326-1361102942-3833.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Hey gang, if you like this release enough, definitely check out the DVD Music Bank with all the videos - same mixes, different mastering (yes, it's only Dolby Digital), but most importantly there are songs that are not included on the SACD (or anywhere else): e.g. Sea Of Sorrow, What The Hell Have I, Down In A Hole or Get Born Again.
R-1476326-1361102942-3833.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for the tip! A no-brainer for under 10 bucks. Ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted 5. This is a fantastic music album, truly greatest hits, but when I am scrolling through my music thinking of what I might want to listen to in 5.1 I cringe when I come across this release. the surround sound is one of the poorest that I know of. My 5 is probably a zero for some because I tend to vote on the high side so a 5 from me is pretty bad.

I voted 5. This is a fantastic music album, truly greatest hits, but when I am scrolling through my music thinking of what I might want to listen to in 5.1 I cringe when I come across this release. the surround sound is one of the poorest that I know of. My 5 is probably a zero for some because I tend to vote on the high side so a 5 from me is pretty bad.
Yeah, it surprises me that the mixer says he listened to 200 DVDs before mixing this... interesting that this was his first surround mix... another "first surround mix" that kind of sucked would be Oasis "What's The Story Morning Glory" ... thankfully Eddie Kramer's first surround mix turned out really good ("Electric Ladyland")... someone should start a thread of "first surround mixes" (sjcorne?)

Back